Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which SUV do you want?
Honda CR-V 9 22.50%
Ford Endeavour 15 37.50%
Toyota Fortuner 14 35.00%
Hyundai Tucson 2 5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2005, 11:43   #1
BHPian

Which SUV would you prefer??

I would go with the Fortuner as it is both cheap and worthy for the job.
Old 15th February 2005, 12:54   #2
BHPian

Fortuner all the way dude.. Do you know when is it getting launched in bangalore ??
Old 15th February 2005, 13:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

I choose the CR-V. The Fortuner is a good car and the best buy in the 10 lakh range but, it doesn't have the fun factor.

The Fortuner has 160bhp (so does the CR-V in other countries) which means that in India, that figure would come down to 150-152bhp, which the same as the CR-V here.

The downside of having a Fortuner is that even though it's as powerful as the CR-V, it weighs in at 1810 kgs. So, the Indian version would have a power to weight ratio of 83bhp/ton compared to the CR-V's 101bhp/ton.

Since the CR-V is lighter and has a smaller engine, it'll be more economical (unless you opt for the diesel version).

The CR-V will surely be more fun to drive and if Honda launch the CTDI by the time the Fortuner arrives, that will take care of the diesel battle too.

But, if you think the Fortuner is all about taking your whole family out with performance being the last thing on your mind, you might as well look at the Innova (which i am looking at).

Shan2nu
Old 15th February 2005, 16:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
But, if you think the Fortuner is all about taking your whole family out with performance being the last thing on your mind, you might as well look at the Innova (which i am looking at).
Shan2nu,

I guess, both the Innova and the Fortuner are based on the same IMV platform. Also, i think the Fortuner is a mixed package for the upwardly mobile indian nuclear families. Its more of a life-style vehicle.. The HCRV no-doubt is a good vehicle, but it feels more car-like than an SUV. Also, you can't do much off-roading in the HCRV.. Whereas i am counting on the Fortuner as a True-Blue Economical SUV + Family vehicle + MultiUtility Vehicle.. Its like once you have a Fortuner, you don't need anything else..

Heh Heh..

Manish
Old 15th February 2005, 16:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

I'd pick an endeavour in black please. (only as a weekend getaway vehicle)
both the crv n tucson are just soft roaders and are too small for my liking. n the fortuner i dont know much about so hence the ford endeavour is my choice.

However if i was just going to be driving in the city, then i'd take the tucson because of the CRDi engine...i would consider the CRV only if honda gets the CDTi. The ford endeavour would be too much of a handful in bombay traffic...and the issues with finding a place to park that car in the city alone is enough to make me choose the smaller soft roaders.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 15th February 2005 at 17:00.
Old 15th February 2005, 17:01   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hey Shan,

I disagree with you on the fun to drive aspect. I would say the Fortuner would be way more fun than the CRV...relatively speaking.

Look, no one buys a SUV for outright performance. Buy a large car if you want that. The main traits most people look for in an SUV are:
1. STYLE! It's gotto be a tough looking vehicle
2. Interior space
3. Torque
Outright handling and horsepower would follow on this list.

The Fortuner is more of an SUV than the CRV can ever be. Sure the Toyota would probably have a worse ride than the CRV as it is still a body on frame type consruction, but what it does have in its favour is off-road capability, rugged looks and a decently powered engine.

To me, that's what an SUV should excel at. The CRV in comparison is just a raised station wagon.

P.s. I doubt the Fortuner would be launched in the 10 lakh bracket. it's going to be more than the Ford for sure, so that means it goes head to head with the CRV at Rs14-15 lakhs.

Last edited by Rtech : 15th February 2005 at 17:03.
Old 15th February 2005, 17:25   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The Fortuner has 160bhp (so does the CR-V in other countries) which means that in India, that figure would come down to 150-152bhp, which the same as the CR-V here.
Isnt the Fortuner going to be launched ONLY with a Turbo Diesel?

Either ways, the Fortuner is my pick.

GTO
Old 15th February 2005, 17:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Its the Fortuner for me too because it makes more sense than CRV as an SUV, its got everything which is required for a perfect SUV.
Old 15th February 2005, 17:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

I picked up the Endeavour. Anyway.. actually there shouldnt have been the CRV in this poll as the poll maker says.. "Pick an SUV which does the job well" If thats the case... the CRV wont do the job. So why in this poll??
Old 15th February 2005, 18:16   #10
BHPian

the tucson is a hyundai, so no thanks, the ford is nice, the crv is better...but the fortuner sems to have got the right mix....
Old 15th February 2005, 18:42   #11
Team-BHP Support

Why is Chevy Forester not in this list? The Forester has much better legacy and reputation in off-roading when compared to Honda. The Subaru AWDs have excellent track record.

Is there some problem with the Forester variant offered in India? If I am to buy a SUV in India, I was thinking of buying the Forester.
Old 15th February 2005, 18:43   #12
BHPian

doesnt the forester deserve to be in the poll ?

i think the forester deserves to be on this poll
Old 15th February 2005, 18:48   #13
BHPian

beat me by a minute didnt you Mr. samurai ... oh well at least the forester has 2 garunteed votes
Old 15th February 2005, 18:59   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Monkey
beat me by a minute didnt you Mr. samurai ... oh well at least the forester has 2 garunteed votes
Hope I didn't get you madder...
Old 15th February 2005, 19:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Hope I didn't get you madder...
a bit ...yes

but not enough to challange a sumarai .....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks