Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2008, 09:15   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Personal car ownership is fast becoming unviable at this rate. Maybe the government intended it be head towards this.
Then we are supposed to get excellent ( read flawless ) public transport system with security. The way the indian government is behaving is just hurting the economy too much.
Old 23rd May 2008, 10:08   #62
BHPian

does rationing of fuel affet this too?
Old 23rd May 2008, 10:11   #63
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

murli deora says in todays HINDU that rationing is not likely
can we believe him?
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:06   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Has there been a formal announcement of these oil companies selling only premium fuel????

I checked at 3 pumps today(all IOC) and 2 of them said normal diesel has been stopped and i tanked up at the third one which was still selling normal one.

So.. has there been a formal announcement yet.. and has the govt got any control over these stupid decisions????
Yes there has been a formal annoucement in the news yesterday, normal fuel will be continued to be supplied. No enforcement to sell Premiun fuels only.

They say, at the current situation, the only way is to increase the prices. At the current global rates, the Diesel prices should be Rs62 per litre and little more for Petrol. The Gas cylinder should in reality be around Rs 640 instead of Rs300

A hike cannot be avoided, especially in the case of Diesel when the consumption has been growing rapidly (thanks to the new generation diesel cars). Now when this happens, the cost of travel by city Buses will go up. The Food commodities prices also will rise up.

Power cost will hence go up too.

Lastly read this below:

"We will not let the Oil Companies suffer", the Prime Minister said at the Govts Fourth Anniversary dinner.
Old 31st May 2008, 22:28   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Yes there has been a formal annoucement in the news yesterday, normal fuel will be continued to be supplied. No enforcement to sell Premiun fuels only.
Most of the IOC pumps in NCR are still not supplying normal diesel not sure about petrol though !
Whats the point of govt. fixing the fuel prices if the oil companies dont abide by them and just offer the so called premium fuel at their own made up prices.

Is there nothing we can do for this sheer daylight robery?
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:00   #66
BHPian

Went to IOC in Banashankari on 31st and asked for Normal Diesel. Attendent told only Xtra Mile is available. This is the case for everyone who came to fill fuel. I have gone for it as I did not had any other choice. (This is my regular station as the quantity is correct)

Same thing happened before the last fuel price hike. I went to the HP COCO in Utharahalli to fill petrol for my bike, they said only premium.
Today actually this fuel station is closed for no stock

Are we getting in to era of short supply of fuels?
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:16   #67
BHPian

i think fuel shortage is mainly b'coz of oil companies, they are trying to reduce the losses by not supplying the required quantity and thus supplying limited quantity..
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:19   #68
BHPian

All those folks who are crying that filling premium petrol / diesel is not an option, would you be alright with a 5-10 Rs. increase in fuel costs? I guess not, so till then while we are getting premium petrol at a somewhat reduced price, make merry with it. It is unfair for us to ask government to not raise the fuel cost when the price across the globe are soaring due to stupid commodity trading. You can't expect them to sink the IOC, HP & BPCL with mounting debts. It has to be some way out for them and if this be the way, I can't help being a marketer to keep my company afloat anyway, but resort to such tactics.
Old 2nd June 2008, 19:13   #69
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
You can't expect them to sink the IOC, HP & BPCL with mounting debts. It has to be some way out for them and if this be the way, I can't help being a marketer to keep my company afloat anyway, but resort to such tactics.
Why cant Govt pass on the duties and taxes it gets from fuels to oil cos?

Or

Why cant the Govt let the oil cos continue to make losses? Govt can simply keep on buying crude, sell it at a loss and increase the fiscal deficit? Whats wrong with that?

In both cases mentioned above, its the Govt or companies owned by them, which will loose revenue.

3rd Option is to increase the fuel costs, which will lead to inflation and recession as well.
Old 2nd June 2008, 20:08   #70
Senior - BHPian

This friday the pump next to my place was shut. So I drove down to the pump next to Akbarally's in Chembur. It's a BP Pump.

I asked for normal petrol to be filled. The attendant says only Speed available.

I ask him to write that down and give it to me. I will fill up with Speed but if anything goes wrong with the engine, I will make life hell for all of them.

He asks "Engine kharab hota hai Speed se" in a shocked tone. I tell him I can show him the manual if he wants.

He picks up the nozzle of normal unleaded fuel and proceeds to tank it up.
Old 2nd June 2008, 23:06   #71
Team-BHP Support

I filled normal IOC diesel from COCO Dwarka, New Delhi.

The attendant mentioned that normal fuel might not be available from next week if the prices are not raised.
Old 3rd June 2008, 03:02   #72
BHPian

Yes the diesel price will be raised by the end of this week for sure
Old 17th June 2008, 15:38   #73
Senior - BHPian

Since the last one and a half weeks I have gone from bunk to bunk in chennai (on my regular route home-office-home) trying to find a fuel station that has regular unleaded fuel. Almost all bunks state that regular unleaded fuel is not in supply and only premium fuel is available. Regular unleaded fuel retails at INR 55.xx in Chennai and Premium fuel retails at almost 59.xx rupees.

Looks like the bunks, be it IOC, HP, BP, etc are all cashing in on the price hike.

To me it looks like a major scam. What guarantee do I or should i say, do we have that the fuel being pumped in IS premium fuel. It could very well be regular unleaded fuel being sold as premium fuel for 5 rupees more per liter.

However managed to find one bunk which had regular fuel and tanked up. Was informed that it is only available till stocks last. Limited edition fuel anyone?
Old 17th June 2008, 15:53   #74
Senior - BHPian

The time is nearing. Today also the paper (TOI) says that Govt is slowly moving towards selling ONLY branded petrol to urban cities and the subsidy woudl be ONLY to rural places.
Not sure form when, but sure to come. It says it will be slowly made so public wont feel the pain
Old 17th June 2008, 16:16   #75
Senior - BHPian

I still don't get it - how can they force one & all to fill premium fuel? There are a hell of a lot of people out there who cannot afford it, metro or no metro. Or is the assumption that all people staying in metros are way above the average per capita income

Most Viewed