Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2008, 18:10   #106
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Don't know how close this is for you - try the IOC bunk on Lattice Bridge Road, Adayar. I filled in normal unleaded as recently as Sunday morning.

Noticed that these guys don't sell normal diesel though.

In Bangalore, I found normal unleaded at the IOC bunk on Airport Road at Marathahalli.
IOC at Lattice Bridge Road, Adayar, Chennai have stopped selling ordinary petrol as I discovered this Sunday morning.
Old 24th June 2008, 18:32   #107
Senior - BHPian

Many bunks in Bangalore are out of normal and only selling premium fuels. They have even put the premium brand stickers onthe machines dispensing normal fuels earlier, which means its here to stay.

Now even if the manufacturers say fill "normal fuel" , where from ??
Old 24th June 2008, 18:34   #108
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I tried to fill normal petrol when I was returning from Chennai. I could not find and filled Speed in Vaniambadi bunk. Thinking I can get in krishnagiri BP, I went there. Same situation there also and ended up fillling the tank with Speed. I tried only BP. Seems we are nearing to the implementation of the branded fuel only in metros
Old 24th June 2008, 18:55   #109
Team-BHP Support

Same problem has started occuring in Hyderabad as well. Some pumps have already started pulling the same stunt here as I understand it. However I think this is only for Petrol and not diesel.

Only way out is if someone goes and files a PIL making not only the bunk owners but also the Oil marketing companies a party to it. They need a hard rap on their knuckles.
Old 24th June 2008, 23:46   #110
Team-BHP Support

Thankfully in AP the government seems to have taken a note of this dubious practice. The oil marketing companies have been given a week to rectify this peculiar situation or else have been threatened with action.

Today's Hyderabad edition of Times of India carries the following news article.

Civil supplies commissioner Poonam Malakondaiah on Monday directed oil PSU companies—HPC, IOC and BPC—not to force motorists to buy branded fuel at their company-operated outlets.
At a meeting with representatives of oil PSUs here, she said there was a flood of complaints on Company Owned, Company Operated (COCO) outlets not selling ordinary petrol. Moreover, motorists have to shell out Rs 60.66 per litre for branded petrol, Rs 5 more than ordinary petrol.
She said COCO outlets have to sell normal petrol along with branded petrol.
A week’s time has been given to the oil companies to set things right.
“The commissioner has also warned of action against oil PSUs in case there is no improvement in the situation in the city,” AP Petrol Dealers Federation president M Prabhakar Reddy, who attended the meeting, told ‘TOI.’
Old 25th June 2008, 12:11   #111
BHPian

I went to fill petrol at the company owned HP Petrol pump in HBR Layout yesterday. All the previous "Unleaded" dispensing stations have been re-named as "Power". When i asked them "dont you sell ordinary petrol" the attendant showed one dispensing station at the end of the pump. All others have been converted to sell branded petrol. He also mentioned that stock of ordinary petrol was available. Imagine during peak hours, if one sees a big que near the ordinary dispensing station...people are sure to go to the "Power" dispensing station. Are the Oil Marketing companies trying to use this logic?
Old 25th June 2008, 13:25   #112
BHPian

What is the proof that these oil companies are not selling normal petrol at premium rates.

First our govt decides a price for petrol and diesel and then these oil companies sell the fuel at the prices they want to and just refuse to sell the one that the govt has set the price for.

Isnt there anything we as a consumer can do about this??
Old 25th June 2008, 13:43   #113
Team-BHP Support

Yes. You can file a PIL against the oil marketing companies. You can also file an online complaint (I will check and provide the URL).

Already the AP government has woken up to this new arm-twisting tactics and has initiated action (Only branded, costlier fuel in metros). All the state governments should do the same IMO.
Old 25th June 2008, 13:52   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Yes. You can file a PIL against the oil marketing companies. You can also file an online complaint (I will check and provide the URL).
Thanks Zappo, will wait for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Already the AP government has woken up to this new arm-twisting tactics and has initiated action (Only branded, costlier fuel in metros). All the state governments should do the same IMO.
The above link is not working!

Last edited by revved_up : 25th June 2008 at 13:54.
Old 25th June 2008, 14:19   #115
BHPian

Yesterday I tanked up at the HP pump next to Forum.
They had Ordinary fuel, and there was no rush either.
Old 25th June 2008, 14:33   #116
Senior - BHPian

Had to fill speed few days back :( ..... its not the price but again you don't know what additives you are getting with the fuel, and how it will affect the engine in long term usage, i am ready to pay the premium fuel prices but give me normal fuel ....
Old 26th June 2008, 10:15   #117
BHPian

Now an SMS campaign in Chennai against petrol pumps

Source:
SMS campaign against petrol pumps-Chennai-Cities-The Times of India
Old 26th June 2008, 10:59   #118
BHPian

Just walk away from fuel pumps selling "premium" brands telling them you want only normal fuel, I have started to practice this, may be you have to scout for the 2 more pumps or so, but will pay off for the society in the long run!
Crooks, its the only way the oil companies can harvest profits (in lieu of losses sufferered on the normal fuel) and the dealer too gets a hansome commissions so they switch; the government gives a deaf ear as it has a lesser subsidy burden to deal and the premium fuels dont hit its inflation figures either... a poor tax payer in a metro gets overburdened! OT: My cable-wala wants a 25% increase starting this month, cites petrol price increase: i'm like, god-damn-it, what your signals need petrol to come to my home? I'm already fed up with pay channels beaming advertisements 50% of the times, repeat telecast 40% of the times and thinking of diconnecting the cable and just live on a free to air channels DTH, nothing more...
Old 1st July 2008, 17:34   #119
BHPian

Its happening in baroda too. Only premium diesel is available. Havent been able to fill up with normal diesel since sunday.
Old 1st July 2008, 17:47   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Had to fill speed few days back :( ..... its not the price but again you don't know what additives you are getting with the fuel, and how it will affect the engine in long term usage, i am ready to pay the premium fuel prices but give me normal fuel ....
If you are in and around T.Nagar, try Ekayers (BP) in Venkat Narayana Road. They have normal petrol.

Most Viewed