Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2008, 22:19   #91
BHPian

Saw a similar car

I saw a similar car, white coloured coverd with tapes at head and tail lamps at Banagalore University Campus in Bangalore. The car had temporary regirstration though could not make out the number as it was very fast. I could not take the pic also. The car passed opposite to my car and i could not make out the engine noice, so it might be a petrol vehicle. It may be a new corolla which the Toyota is testing on the road. Hope to see it soon. Well the front look was better than the present car, but some how I did not like the rear look.
Old 23rd June 2008, 23:04   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thinking simply in terms of vehicle classifications, the Innova would appear in a very different segment compared to the Corolla.

However, as we had discussed in one previous thread- Why not innova? It offers many things and more than the Corolla at a good price as well. Of course its an MUV, compared to Corolla's sedan status. But leaving that apart, Innova does offer a lot! Diesel option, practicality, extra seats, Toyota badge, good quality levels (Corolla in India has been critised for being built to a price), good handling and more adds to the list.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...pe-innova.html
Ok, but then does this mean that in order to continue the sales of Innova, Corolla wont be able to appeal to a wider segment. Mostly in that case, anyway, it would be Toyota who will get sales. Wheather one goes for diesel Innova or diesel Corolla.
More over Corolla with diesel can remark Corolla as the top of the segment.
Old 24th June 2008, 00:00   #93
BHPian

Guys, I got a call from a toyota dealer in Bangalore telling me that vehicle will be launched in September. He asked me to pay a Rs.50k advance now and I can then be one of the first 50 few 'privileged customers' who would be the first to get their hands on this vehicle. When I asked him prices/specifications , he said that they are yet to be made known. I then explained to him calmly that I don't have the habit of booking any vehicle without knowing the prices/specs or doing a test drive myself.

Anyway, anybody else with a similar experience? or any more concrete information?
Old 24th June 2008, 12:22   #94
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I was having this conversation with someone the other day. So, sure most of our reactions were "What has Toyota done? Compared to the swoopy futuristic Civic, the new Corolla looks so staid" blah blah blah. And then we thought.....does everyone was a swoopy low slung, low seating, futuristic, low torque / high revving sedan? NOPE!

There is clearly a substantial market out there for a clean no nonsense sedan. One that has acceptable looks, good low end torque, high seating and just gets the job done. Add a Toyota badge and reliability to that list too. The new Corolla intentionally takes a different position compared to the Civic.
Old 24th June 2008, 12:33   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
does everyone was a swoopy low slung, low seating, futuristic, low torque / high revving sedan? NOPE!

There is clearly a substantial market out there for a clean no nonsense sedan. One that has acceptable looks, good low end torque, high seating and just gets the job done. Add a Toyota badge and reliability to that list too. The new Corolla intentionally takes a different position compared to the Civic.
What you say is right, GTO but this works more successfully abroad where both Toyota and Honda are makers of entry level sedans that are cheap to buy and maintain and take you from point A to B in comfort. Over here in India, these cars are in the D segment, where sleek, futuristic looks do play a important role and could be a potential deal breaker.
Old 24th June 2008, 15:34   #96
Senior - BHPian

You can go through the car reviews from other countries and that should give you a fair idea on what to expect. If you are sure about the car and want to have the first car of the lot, it is well worth it. Anyway, you should keep an option of full refund of 50k in case you change your mind after the test drive.

Personally, I don't find the car (reviews) tempting enough to go for this option.
I was expecting a segment shaker from Toyota, a product strong enough to compete the Civic.
Old 24th June 2008, 17:32   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I was having this conversation with someone the other day. So, sure most of our reactions were "What has Toyota done? Compared to the swoopy futuristic Civic, the new Corolla looks so staid" blah blah blah. And then we thought.....does everyone was a swoopy low slung, low seating, futuristic, low torque / high revving sedan? NOPE!
Toyota being Toyota, will sell as a reliable proven product. But the point is that it does not breath in fresh life into Corolla, just keeps it limping for few more years. (I tried out the new Corolla AT in US last month and don;t think that Indian offering will be very different except for some cosmetics)

I heard that Toyota had to go back to drawing board to redesign their upcoming Corolla, after launch of Civic. This also delayed their worldwide corolla launch, but in spite of all that just offering a point A to B vehicle is not sufficient.

Already Corolla resales are bad due to their bad price drop strategy, this launch would further beat the Toyota brand in India at least, where only very few products are available, and most used as taxis.

Last edited by ST7677 : 24th June 2008 at 17:40.
Old 25th June 2008, 11:23   #98
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Over here in India, these cars are in the D segment, where sleek, futuristic looks do play a important role and could be a potential deal breaker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Toyota being Toyota, will sell as a reliable proven product. But the point is that it does not breath in fresh life into Corolla, just keeps it limping for few more years. (I tried out the new Corolla AT in US last month and don;t think that Indian offering will be very different except for some cosmetics)
Again, I think it is purely intention of Toyota to go for the staid 'ol practical way. Why? Because the Corolla scores over the Civic on practicality and there is a sizeable market out there that wants a transportation appliance. I know of one too many potential buyers who have dropped their Civic purchase plans and are waiting for the new Corolla. The reasons are many : Low rear seat, lack of torque at light throttle, GC, swoopy looks, honda service...the list goes on and on. Similarly, the Civic has a substantial following for its enthusiastic nature, futuristic looks and awesome interiors. As an enthusiast, I would always choose the Civic. But my father would choose the Corolla. Either car is an awesome machine....but I do feel they fill different needs, as similar as they may be.
Old 25th June 2008, 11:39   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
I heard that Toyota had to go back to drawing board to redesign their upcoming Corolla, after launch of Civic. This also delayed their worldwide corolla launch, but in spite of all that just offering a point A to B vehicle is not sufficient.

Already Corolla resales are bad due to their bad price drop strategy, this launch would further beat the Toyota brand in India at least, where only very few products are available, and most used as taxis.
Going by the look of the new Corolla, the first statement may not be true. How does it matter that Corolla resales are bad. At least the maintenance is low, FE is good, and peace of mind is high.

On resales, one of my colleagues recently bought a used 2007 Civic from First Choice for 8 lakhs. The car had run only 8K. Maybe a one off lucky deal.

Nevertheless, considering the Indian market and preferences, Corolla will always trail the Civic by a significant margin. Corolla's monthly highs in 2004-05 were a lot lower than Civic's highs in 2006-07. By comparison, Corolla is very competitive with Civic in US and Japan (the 2 major markets where they compete in large numbers). In fact, with the rising fuel costs, Corolla and Civic are gaining sales, while bigger sedans are showing lower sales. SUV sales have tanked.

Maybe Corolla's heyday as the best seller are over. This is because till recently the US market had shifted to higher segment (Camry/Accords). Toyota's largest market is the US and their R&D costs would naturally go in developing products that sell more in the US. The Camry has been the best selling car in the US over the last several years.
Old 25th June 2008, 11:49   #100
BHPian

This one is already launched in US.
Google it you will find good oics.
Old 25th June 2008, 16:07   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

GTO, prcise points to justify the new Corolla for not being smashing looking.

Quote:

This strategy works very well in developed markets. As we all know, Internationally the Corolla is not regarded as sporty or exciting car. But more as reliable machine that does the job. India, however is a different market than those developed markets. Here we are inclined towards looks and image rather than product functionality. The classic example for this is the Indian mentality about the boot ( 3 box sedan ).

I hope the this strategy works wonder for Corolla and Toyota in India. But the chances of this car taking the leadership back from Honda Civic are less, IMO.
Old 28th June 2008, 20:22   #102
oss
BHPian

Wonder if it will come with the 1.6L engine option....
Old 29th June 2008, 01:37   #103
BHPian

Got News from Toyota That It's Going to be launched by 20th of August with extreme fanfare, campaings, tv-ads, etc the car is being launched with a price tag of nearly 12Lakhs, and yes it's going with the same engine at a different state of tune to pump out some more bhp.
Old 29th June 2008, 08:22   #104
Senior - BHPian

It seems that after the grand success of the Qualis,and Innova and the initial success of the Corolla, Toyota has fallen asleep at the wheel. First they introduce the CBU Camry at an exhorbitant cost, and now they are following it up with a boring Corolla. Today more and more buyers are from the younger age bracket or most purchase decisions are influenced by them.

Honda has understood this and given the Civic enough bling appeal to blow the competition away.

Corolla sales are likely to stay in low hundreds if the new Corolla is what it appears to be in all the reviews by automags. While the Civic and Octavia will fight it out in the 10- 12 lakh segment, Cedia, 3rd gen City, Optra Magnum and the soon to be launched Linea will target the Rs 8 to 10 lakh segment. Unless Toyota does something different,( giving a diesel option for instance) it will be a losing battle for the Corolla in India. Toyota must realise that unlike the MPV segment where the solid engineering of the Qualis made it a success despite the hideous asthetics, the sedan market is more competitive and bling value plays a big part in how the vehicle does in the show rooms.
Old 30th June 2008, 11:41   #105
Senior - BHPian

I disagree, IMO there is no "Real Man" in this segment. Civic is an ultra Mordern Teenager and Octavia is Grand Pa.

Most Viewed