Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2008, 12:19   #1
BHPian

is it worth selling my Elantra petrol GLS?

I wanted to go for diesel car and want to sell my 2 year old Elantra GLS fully loaded but the price what is quoted from hyundai dealer for exchange is shocking, the quote was less than 4 lac

The following reasons are told to me

1. The car runs on petrol and no one prefers Petrol Elantra

2. Elantra is phased out and new elantra is on queue so no value for this old Elantra

3. It is very hard to sell Elantra as there are hardly any buyers.

4. he also says that any luxury car be it corolla,accord or any other cars, the used car buyers are very very less.

then I said if Hyundai tries to give such reasons and not interested to buy their own Hyundai model for exchange then i do not prefer going for hyundai models in future.

The car is in excellent condition and i cover 30-40 kms per day...

Is it worth giving this car on exchange and buy a diesel car? say GetZ Crdi or fiesta Tcdi or verna Crdi or keep this car for another 2 years?

need team-bhp experts opinion?

Thanks,
MUKE
Old 20th May 2008, 13:52   #2
Team-BHP Support

since the car is in excellent condition, I suggest you retain it.
Simply put I dont think a Getz or a Fiesta will be able to match the comfort and luxury levels of this car.

Also your car seems to be at the depreciated best. Over another 2 years I dont think it can go below the quote of 4 Lakhs.

Any other car you buy now will depreciate and loose value.
consider this point as well before you sell your elantra.
Old 20th May 2008, 15:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Muke - It wont make much sense in Selling the fully loaded Elantra GLS for below 4 lacs and opting for Getz CRDI ( hopelessly overpriced) or the C + segment diesel cars. If you too concerned on the resale value front you can sell it. But the C + segment might not give you all the goodies for the price.
And for your running Diesel is not necessary.
Old 20th May 2008, 16:07   #4
BHPian

But even the same dealer where this Elantra is purchased asking for rock bottom price for this luxury car.

Is it something driven by market or these guys just gives a shot to get this car in less price and later sale this in good price.

When i checked with some other used-car dealer pretending to be a buyer buying used-elantra petrol they quote 6 lacs and above for 2 year car.

They also said that there is a demand for Elantra Petrol due to low maintenance cost and having GLS fully loaded with ABS/Airbag which no other cars comes for this price at this segment?

looks like these guys trying to cheat by buying the car for 4 lacs and sell for 6 lacs?

Looks like all these used-car dealers are networked together to give the same price and sell the car in higher price, where ever i go asking the used-car dealer they quote the same less price.

looks like the people who are buying used car through used-car dealer are being cheated?

-MUKE
Old 20th May 2008, 18:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Muke31, HONEST opinion, DoNt sell, you will not even get the peanuts, probably you will get the dry skin only. Lesson - Thats the story with such products. But i can give you another idea - Invest 15-17K, get a open ended LPG Kit, Put it up in the boot and DO NOT ENDORSE it in your RC book. Drive around for a few more years and while selling it, sell it after removing the Kit so that no one knows it was there.
Old 20th May 2008, 18:24   #6
Team-BHP Support

santosh' idea is good, you can try the LPG route but I suggest you endorse it in the RC book and inform the buyer as and when you plan to sell your car.

Or why don't you list your car in team-bhp classifieds itself.
Who knows maybe you will get lucky and find a buyer here itself.
Old 20th May 2008, 18:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Your daily running does not warrant a diesel. I would suggest you keep this fully loaded, safe and comfy car, instead of downgrading to a car which might not have many of the features it has, just for the sake of diesel tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muke31
Is it something driven by market or these guys just gives a shot to get this car in less price and later sale this in good price.
That is their business - buy low, sell high. And in the process they will always try their best to make as much profit as possible. Don't know about other used-car dealers, but have experience with MUL TruValue, who quoted 20K for my '85 model M800. I sold it for 40K via FreeAds to a direct buyer.
Old 20th May 2008, 19:36   #8
BHPian

What is the mileage of your car? If its too low install LPG. Dont sell it. How much did you got it for?
Old 20th May 2008, 19:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Just say them that you wanted to purchase an Elantra and see their take on ELANTRA, you will come to know the value of the car you have
Old 20th May 2008, 20:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well, everyone knows that Elantra was not a hit in the market. It happens with a lot of cars that have low resale value - Sonata, Tucson, Optra ( OLD ), Grand Vitara, Opel Vectra, SRV etc etc.

So you are not alone, the Diesel Elantra is still possible to sell ( Difficult nevertheless ).

My advise would be to keep the car as it is only 2 years old and one of the most comfortable cars around. Why sell it ?? You will have to add a few lacs to buy a Fiesta / Getz CRdi and these are smaller cars than Elantra.

Keep in mind that if you decide to keep the car be ready to sell it for a negligible amount after 2-3 years as it will not get anything then ( 1.5 Lacs or so !! )

If you still decide to sell it - don't go to a dealer, Instead give an AD in classifieds or here at TBHP. Quote 5 Lacs and see what happens, maybe you find someone who will take it.

Last edited by vkochar : 20th May 2008 at 20:06.
Old 20th May 2008, 20:54   #11
BHPian

The Elantra.. gives me 9 in city(AC) and 13 (highway with AC)

--MUKE
Old 21st May 2008, 07:27   #12
Team-BHP Support

Don't you feel let down by the dealer who shuns the product he sold you!!!
Old 21st May 2008, 08:13   #13
BHPian

Pls dont trust the price offered by dealers to be the benchmark. I suggest you try carwale.com used car price calculator. New Cars, Used Cars, Buy Cars, Sell Cars, New Car Prices, Used Car Prices - CarWale.com India

You can put your car up for sale with expected price in Team-bhp classifieds and carwale.com. This should give you a good & realisitic price the car can fetch.
Old 21st May 2008, 08:18   #14
BHPian

Enjoy your Elantra. No point selling a 2 year old car for 4 lakhs. If you are hell bent on getting rid of it, then see if a close relative/friend wants it. Rather than giving it to the dealer at 4 lakhs give it to the relative/friend at the same or higher price.
Old 21st May 2008, 10:28   #15
BHPian

Don't sell the car through a dealer. They will always try to tell you that there are a million things wrong with your car, and that there is not much you will get for it. And, that they are doing you a big favour by buying it off from you.

Place an AD in the papers. ..... That's my suggestion IF you want to sell the car. But, I would recommend that you keep her. It was a good car, but didn't sell because of brand value. Most people shelling out upwards of 8-9 lakhs, probably want something better than a Hyundai logo on the front grill.

Most Viewed