Team-BHP - Please Help!!! Ground clearance of Fiat Petra 1.6 gets reduced
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Please Help!!! Ground clearance of Fiat Petra 1.6 gets reduced (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/39953-please-help-ground-clearance-fiat-petra-1-6-gets-reduced.html)

Friends, I need your advice on how to increase the reduced ground clearance of my Fiat Petra 1.6 EL. It has sunk (rear) so low that every other hump tempts to kiss the car.I have heard of two solution, one is to use rubber padding over the existing springs and other is to get a new set of coil springs in place.Please suggest!!!

Welcome To TeamBhp deepgautam_qa

I am sure people will help you once they read this in the meanwhile please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks

Deepak,

It is advisable to use rubber padding over the existing springs,I have used the same in my esteem as i was facing the same kind of a problem,now the problem is no more there.

I request Bhpian to give their suggestions on this,

Ishan: request you to give your expert opinion.

Thanks

deepgautam these rubber padding's that you are talking about are called SPACERS !! You generally would find them made of rubber and aluminum. Sure increases the height of your ride by an inch or so but then be ready to compromise a little on the handling part.

If you are a sober driver and not burning the tarmac always go ahead with it. You have nothing to loose. I had done it on my older Alto and friend has done the same to his esteem too.

Regarding the coil springs , get it checked with the service center. If they says its bad go ahead and replace it. For stiffer springs you can always look at Peddars .

Another was around this is to get a stiffer suspension setup. You could go for a local suspension job or get Koni's(expensive).

Hope that helps

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepgautam_qa (Post 837482)
Friends, I need your advice on how to increase the reduced ground clearance of my Fiat Petra 1.6 EL. It has sunk (rear) so low that every other hump tempts to kiss the car.

Are you saying that it has reduced only recently? That means your suspension is sagging. How many kms up?

RJS/GTO: Fumb koshun, but like one needs to take his car to Leh. Say the SwiftD. 170mm is good, but 30mm spacers would make it a delectable 200 mm (Safari territory). I know its a 15 min job, but is it ok long term to put spacers for hill drives once in two-three months? :)

And loaded down with luggage, the C of G would again be lower - so what would net impact on handling be?

Phamily man

It doesnt work that way, if you put a 30 mm spacer may be you would get a 15-20 mm increase in the GC, btw you are planning to take a Swift D to leh, that is adventuous to say the least. I took my SX 4 to Rohatang couple of weaks back and I was always thinking why did I sell my Scorp. Huge boulders on some of the places where they have mountain water crossing the road. Best of luck and do let us know how the trip went.