Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:39   #1
BHPian

250 kmpl car - made in India !!!

Just came across this article
Punjab students make 250 km per litre 'wonder car'
Punjab students make 250 km per litre 'wonder car'- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

The contents
'CHANDIGARH: Imagine doing a 250-km journey from Delhi to Jaipur or Delhi to here in a car that will go the distance in just one-litre of petrol (just over $1)!

That's exactly what students of a technical institute in Punjab - the Rayat Institute of Engineering and Information Technology near Ropar, 50 km from here - claim to have developed.

"It is a rare solo car which can generate a mileage of up to 250 km per litre. Our team of students have not only achieved this feat, but are going to showcase it at a world super-mileage competition in the United States next month," Gurvinder Singh Bahra, vice chairman of the Rayat and Bahra group of institutes, told media persons here as he unveiled the 'wonder car' with the team.

Though the students' team claims that the car will cost Rs.500,000, its research and development cost over Rs.2.13 million to the institute.

The car, having a 92cc engine, has been developed by a seven-member team of students from the sixth semester of the institute's mechanical engineering course. The team is led by Gaurav Aggarwal as captain and other members are Mayank Tyagi, Bhavuk Makkar, Arun Salaria, Rahul Kumar, Ramandeep Singh and Navneet Kumar. The team had Jujhar Singh and Rajesh Chaudhary as faculty advisors.

It took them one year to develop the car, said Bahra.

The team is now headed for the world super mileage competition to be held in Michigan, US, next month. The competition is organised by the Society of Automotive Engineers in the US.

"We have modified the engine as per rules supplied by the competition organisers. The frame of the 65-kg car has been developed by using special grade aluminium. It has hydraulic disc brakes and a modified carburettor and fuel supply system. The car has a lightweight outer body shell with an aerodynamic structure.

"All safety and ergonomics features have been taken into account. The car even has a self-designed battery re-charging system," said Aggarwal.

The Rayat team will be the second Asian team to participate in the 28-year-old contest that will have competitors from 35 countries.'

Kindly ignore if already posted.
Mods pl move it into the appropriate section if required
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:43   #2
BHPian

92cc engine

Even hero honda bikes do not give such a mileage. Wondering how they have done it. very good effort nevertheless. But, i doubt that it will ever make it to production.
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wonder if any alternative energy is also used here.
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:48   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefreak View Post
That's exactly what students of a technical institute in Punjab - the Rayat Institute of Engineering and Information Technology near Ropar, 50 km from here - claim to have developed.

The Rayat team will be the second Asian team to participate in the 28-year-old contest that will have competitors from 35 countries.'
The Rayat and Bhara Institute of Engineering and Information Technology's corporate office (which is in Chandigarh, Sector - 34) and my office, share the common wall.
Its right next to me.

98CC
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Wonder if any alternative energy is also used here.
I feel the same, Its amazing though.

Please keep us updated on this. Any members near the area will be helpful
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

250kmpl from a 92cc engine is really astonishing!!!!
Very commendable work.

Even the best of the 100cc bikes delivers a max of 70kmpl, this is truely ground breaking
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
I feel the same, Its amazing though.

Please keep us updated on this. Any members near the area will be helpful
Their corporate office is right next to mine.
I don't know anyone there. I will try to get more information and hopefully some pictures.
The college (where the car was made) is in Ropar which is around 60 KMS from here.
I doubt they will bring the car here or maybe they will.
Old 22nd May 2008, 17:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
250kmpl from a 92cc engine is really astonishing!!!!
Very commendable work.

Even the best of the 100cc bikes delivers a max of 70kmpl, this is truely ground breaking
I too feel the same, it's a remarkable success !!!
Old 22nd May 2008, 17:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Even hero honda bikes do not give such a mileage. Wondering how they have done it. very good effort nevertheless. But, i doubt that it will ever make it to production.
These things will only be a concept cars or designs.
Old 22nd May 2008, 17:36   #10
BHPian

250kmpl
i could do an all india trip with just 1000 bucks,

Great work though. A day to remember in the automotive history
Old 22nd May 2008, 17:56   #11
BHPian

I wish to be a part of that team. Nothing of such type is initiated in my college. Great one tough and my wishes to the team.
Old 22nd May 2008, 18:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

well 250 KMPL is quite puny compared to the records achieved by cars (or car-like motorised vehicles) in this particular competition. My cousin did his MS in Mechanical Design Systems at INSA Lyon (France) and he was part of a team that designed a car (they participated in this competition) that did more than 3000 KMPL! It was just a single seater car (not even seater as driver had to lie instead of sitting while driving to minimize drag) but was a motor vehicle and used Petrol as fuel. They werent winners though as the winners logged more than 10000 KMPL (Yes ten thousand kilometers per litre!)
But these are highly impractical really for daily use so more like concept vehicles only.
Old 22nd May 2008, 19:12   #13
BHPian

Guys,

Not trying to lowball here, however, technically, is it possible?

~LT
Old 22nd May 2008, 19:16   #14
BHPian

Motor bike engine with 15 forward gears :-) I think it is hybrid car run by electric motor, that gets charged by the two wheeler engine. Good show Guys.
Old 22nd May 2008, 23:54   #15
BHPian

i think this will be a rip-off; unless theyre powerign it with a mini-nuclear-reactor.

Most Viewed