Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:10   #31
BHPian

For me the limit is Rs70 per lt. After that its going to be: Trek and Firefox bicycles in Bangalore.
and i am expecting that this will happen sometime by end of this yr.

Regards,

Last edited by amohit : 23rd May 2008 at 11:11.
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
For me the limit is Rs70 per lt. After that its going to be: Trek and Firefox bicycles in Bangalore.
and i am expecting that this will happen sometime by end of this yr.

Regards,

Anything above Rs70 at today's cost I will seriously consider taking the same route. And also buy a 4S bike. Well.. maybe a P220 :-) ... I think it will still give twice the mileage my WagonR gives me.

At Rs100 I will definitely buy a bicycle! (and no P220.. save the rest of it for petrol.. for times when I am exhausted from riding the bike)
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:50   #33
Team-BHP Support

When diesel crosses 50rs/liter, it will start pinching a lot!
But I guess then petrol will cost 90rs a liter.
Now only if CNG was available all over the country!
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:51   #34
BHPian

Moneycontrol India :: News :: Oil Secy says 'price hike inevitable' :: :: Economy :: Oil Ministry,Oil Secretary,oil bonds

Proposal for Petrol hike of Rs. 10, and diesel hike of Rs. 5
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:55   #35
BHPian

I think its state of mind ,
even if its 100 rs/litre , it'll pinch in the start but sooner or later we'll all get used to it.
But other alternatives are welcome.
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:05   #36
BHPian

I fail to understand the total fuss about fuel prices...nonsence. Guys we would still be driving around just as much even if petrol & diesel prices cross the Rs 100 / ltr mark.
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:13   #37
BHPian

Folks just imagine, a classified will read something like this in future:

"Sunday Cycle Bazzar", Certified Hercules / BSA / Hero cycles on display. 1995 onward models available in mint showroom condition. 1 Year extended warranty on steel parts. A wide range of models for Kids, ladies and men. Do come and feel the difference.
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:20   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijit.gangwar View Post
I fail to understand the total fuss about fuel prices...nonsence. Guys we would still be driving around just as much even if petrol & diesel prices cross the Rs 100 / ltr mark.
Looks like you have earmarked a budget for it to cross Rs.100/Litre

Well, in a way i agree with you. We need to accept the rising fuel costs and keep moving on.

To reduce the pinch to a small extent we need to either reduce our driving ( don't we all drive unnecessarily around with no agenda most of the times? long drives, late night drives, early morning drives etc.) OR don't care about the fuel price irrespective of what it rises to ( which means you have deep pockets) or just park the car and use the public transportation
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:42   #39
BHPian

I am waiting for the Republican administration in the US to go. Only after that would we see any concerted effort to check speculation in the commodity markets. I hear that the prices being quoted in forward contracts for Brent crude are totally out of whack with the cost of producing it. This is reflected by the prices at whcih petrol is being sold in the middle eastern countries

Anyways, for me limit is Rs. 150 per litre in todays prices, considering today's earnings.
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:42   #40
BHPian

Even Rs50/ltr costs too much . Now a days, purchasing good car is not that costly compared to the running cost.
Keeping my palm over my heart........... max I can afford is Rs65/ltr. Beyond that price I will switch back to my bike.
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:53   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sary View Post
Folks just imagine, a classified will read something like this in future:

"Sunday Cycle Bazzar", Certified Hercules / BSA / Hero cycles on display. 1995 onward models available in mint showroom condition. 1 Year extended warranty on steel parts. A wide range of models for Kids, ladies and men. Do come and feel the difference.

Good one.

per litre price never matters to me, I always fill for 100 rupees.
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:53   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
Like I have mentioned in my other posts, get ready for rationing if you do not want to pay the full price of fuel.
I'am reading in newschannels (CNN-IBN) that BPCL is already started rationing the fuel to its dealers.
Old 23rd May 2008, 13:10   #43
jp1
BHPian

As many earlier post pointed out, the Tax component of the diesel/petrol is making it high. When we see the Tax, we immediately point to the Central govt, but it is the State govts which is the main culprit.

Central govt charges customs duty on crude at 5 per and import duty on petrol and diesel is 7.5. Then there is excise duty. Central govt is considering further reducing the tax with immediate effect as per reports

But what about the state govts, they blame the central govt, but will do nothing and see how much they charge as taxes. Sales tax is highest in Karnataka (26 per cent) followed by Maharashtra (25 per cent), Kerala (24.69 per cent), Tamil Nadu (23.43 per cent), Andhra Pradesh (22.25 per cent) and Goa (21 per cent). In addition Karnataka has a 5 per cent entry tax

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd May 2008 at 13:18. Reason: Removed color & font tags
Old 23rd May 2008, 13:11   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
per litre price never matters to me, I always fill for 100 rupees.
What if the price of litre is Rs.150? Will just over 1/2 a litre suffice?
Old 23rd May 2008, 13:17   #45
BHPian

i think its all about adjustment,we cribbed when it touched Rs 30, Rs 40, Rs 50, and we will still crib and curse the government about the price rise, but I doubt if we would stop using our cars...
we will just get adjusted to it...

but also see it this way, as and when there is a price rise, there are a lot of things that come with it, for example, pay hike :P, inflation, standard of living etc etc

its all a vicious circle, we can do nothing apart from living with it
Of course we have to look at alternative options. we cannot be in the hope that the government would improve the public transport et al.
We should make a change ourselves...for example bicycles as others were pointing out, or also stop taking the cars out on short and close distances - better choose to walk those distances....

the bottom line is we have to change....we cannot expect the government to change.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks