Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2008, 12:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda Civic 1.8S MT Discontinued

Not sure if this has already been discussed here. Found out yesterday from Honda that they have discontinued Honda Civic 1.8S MT (in addition to the previously discontinued 1.8S AT). This came as a shock as I was planning to buy 1.8 S MT as it was closest to my budget. Now this almost puts Civic out of reach for peeps like me who were already stretching for the 1.8 S MT. Good news for existing 1.8S model owners though, there resale value will go up, thanks to the new Civic 1.8V costing 13 lakhs.

This is really sad from Honda, they are really charging super exhorbitant prices and would force peeps like me to buy the crappo Honda City, which to me is a rip off in the first place. If not for resale, I would have never bought a Honda and gone for a Cedia instead. Damn, so few cars on our roads, and even they are getting out of reach!!!
Old 24th May 2008, 12:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Good news for existing 1.8S model owners though, there resale value will go up, thanks to the new Civic 1.8V costing 13 lakhs.
Civic costs 13+ L now?

Wonder why they discontinued the 1.8 S versions?

Only thing that comes to my mind is that they are making space for the New city, which could cost near to 10 L, and bring in a premium hatch, may be Jazz, at around 8L.
Old 24th May 2008, 13:25   #3
BANNED

well i do know that sucks i never cared about the manual in the first place, but i was sad when the AT was discontinued. what i am looking at and looking from the bright side that they are launching a model over the V spec and will cut the prices of the V model for sure by a little margin. do not forget they have to bring the sports model and the rumoured civic with the sunroof. looking forward for july, ill take the plunge only then
Old 24th May 2008, 14:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Only thing that comes to my mind is that they are making space for the New city, which could cost near to 10 L, and bring in a premium hatch, may be Jazz, at around 8L.
Actually the same thing struck my mind when i read the thread .
City @ 10 lacs would be way too high though. SX4 will be most benifitted
here ppl having tight bugdet will opt for SX4. But I hope the top end NNHC doesnt cross 10 lacs border.
Old 24th May 2008, 14:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

A little OT,go for the cedia buddie.The Honda guys are stretching the Indian public for some space for the jazz and new Honda city.may be they are believing in less volumes and huge margin,lol.
ram
Old 24th May 2008, 14:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

So there is only 1 model of the Civic left in the market ? Isnt it a suicide considering the New Corolla which is gonna hit the markets very very soon ?
Old 24th May 2008, 15:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Not sure if this has already been discussed here. Found out yesterday from Honda that they have discontinued Honda Civic 1.8S MT (in addition to the previously discontinued 1.8S AT). This came as a shock as I was planning to buy 1.8 S MT as it was closest to my budget. Now this almost puts Civic out of reach for peeps like me who were already stretching for the 1.8 S MT. Good news for existing 1.8S model owners though, there resale value will go up, thanks to the new Civic 1.8V costing 13 lakhs.

This is really sad from Honda, they are really charging super exhorbitant prices and would force peeps like me to buy the crappo Honda City, which to me is a rip off in the first place. If not for resale, I would have never bought a Honda and gone for a Cedia instead. Damn, so few cars on our roads, and even they are getting out of reach!!!
Its really bad to see honda taking this move. I understand what you are feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Civic costs 13+ L now?

Wonder why they discontinued the 1.8 S versions?

I was also really shocked to hear this. This is beyond my imagination that honda can do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
A little OT,go for the cedia buddie.The Honda guys are stretching the Indian public for some space for the jazz and new Honda city.may be they are believing in less volumes and huge margin,lol.
ram
You are right, but then he can also wait for new corolla. now as civic has hurt corolla, the new corolla expected in August can be priced lower than civic.

I personally feel that Honda is paving way for jazz, new honda city. Looks like the new honda city will go for 9.0-9.5 and jazz will be a premium hatch back competing with Fabia.

In the end its wrong move by Honda and now clearly it is charging way too much for civic now.
Old 24th May 2008, 15:54   #8
BHPian

now its for sure that NNHC will be priced above than the current City as they are making room around 10 lac.

Also i think, this 1.8V will emerge as base variant, with the sunroof as middle and the hybrid one will be placed at top.

But the NNHC has to be longer than the current city to justify the 9+ lac price, otherwise corolla and cedia might kill the sales of top variants of city , and SX4 will eat the sales of lower variants , i wonder what'll be the actual scene.
Old 24th May 2008, 16:24   #9
BANNED

i anyways paid close to 10 laks for my city cvt back in 2006. now if u buy vtec i guess it goes upto 10.5 laks anyways,
Old 24th May 2008, 16:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

The face lifted Civic is coming in June. So I don't think they have discontinued the Civic. Maybe just getting rid of the old stock.
Old 24th May 2008, 16:52   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the difference between the S version and the normal Civic ?
Old 24th May 2008, 16:55   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
What is the difference between the S version and the normal Civic ?
The S version is the normal version. The higher one is the V which has leather seats, aux port, fog lamps, ORVM indicators.
Old 24th May 2008, 17:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

An update: Honda will launch a variant of civic cheaper than the S version without alloys but retaining of the other features of the S, according to a top official at prime Honda, Delhi.
Also, no facelift will be launched in june but Civic hybrid will be launched in June along with civic sports (type-R) in October.
Old 24th May 2008, 19:32   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The S version is the normal version. The higher one is the V which has leather seats, aux port, fog lamps, ORVM indicators.
actually the aux port was introduced in both versions.
Old 24th May 2008, 22:45   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
ram
Why not the new corolla over the Cedia?

They have no choice but to price it competitively to gain sales from the Civic.

Most Viewed