Team-BHP - Cheap & best? Autoliv to make Nano air bag for $10
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Cheap & best? Autoliv to make Nano air bag for $10 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/40145-cheap-best-autoliv-make-nano-air-bag-10-a.html)

26 May, 2008, 0034 hrs IST,Chanchal Pal Chauhan, TNN

NEW DELHI: Tata Motors has asked the automotive safety component maker Autoliv IFB India to develop a $10 for its small car Nano. This will be the world’s cheapest air bag, as those fitted in other small cars like the Zen Estilo start from $150.

Full Rtickle here :

Cheap & best? Autoliv to make Nano air bag for $10- Auto Components-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Bravo if its true. because this will force other brand manufacturers to bring in airbags at cheaper rates. At any cost the Customer will benefit.

Its nice to see Nano with an air bag. Good going Tata.

If it really comes at this price point or thereabouts, it is as much a credit to Tata's innovation, as it is a slap on the face of other car manufacturers.

If Tata Motors, which is in this field for only last 10 years, can think something out of the box, I wonder why others have lagged miserably in doing so.

As an aside, sometimes I feel, Indian companies like Tata should also invest (their time, effort and money) BIG TIME on auto technologies, esp alternate fuels. The big daddies of auto world haven't really done enough to bring in the kind of innovation that our times demand.

Kudos to Tata once again! :thumbs up

Necessaity is the mother of all inventions. Reliance too sqizzed out such deal out of their vendors before launching Rs.500 cell phone connection. Good to know that Tata is taking the similar approach. I only hope that they dont compromise on quality while reducing the cost.

Thats really a great news. If this happens Air bags will become standard for every car.

Kudos to TATAs once again.

I wonder how much quality & effectiveness are being compromised.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpbhatt (Post 842551)
Tata Motors has asked the automotive safety component maker Autoliv IFB India to develop a $10 for its small car Nano. This will be the world’s cheapest air bag, as those fitted in other small cars like the Zen Estilo start from $150.

Just hope that it does not turn out to be a shopping bag, that would be expensive. :D

If Tata can pull this one off it will be great ! Seriously hats off to Tata.

I hope it doesnt have a air pressure pump blowing into a cloth/paper bag...at 10$ anythings possible !

But jokes apart, I don't see it being produced at 10$ a piece, but then again no one thought Tata could pull of the Nano at 1 lakh either.

If NANO gets airbags, Indica and Indigo definitely would deserve get them as well.

Ecvonomic Times Quotes
"According to market sources, each of the twin air bags in the Zen Estilo is priced around $150".
If they cost just Rs.6000, Why the hell Maruti Charges so much to us? whether the Auto-lib re-invents the process to reduce it to 10$ or not, it is good to have top-end model Nano can cost 10 K (150$ + Tax, etc) more for dual airbag.

Holy cow....an airbag for 10 bucks! That won't even get you 8 liters of petrol today. I presume this would be only for the export market, though Tata would do well to offer the full spec variant in India too. As we have discussed before, the case for a 2 lakh Nano is strong.

Can you imagine the plight of all the Alto's & Santro's without airbags, at a time when the cheapest car in the world / India is offering the same?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinaykiran79 (Post 842598)
Its nice to see Nano with an air bag. Good going Tata.

Thats actually the first thought I had....a Nano with an airbag? Go Tata.

I will buy the luxury version (top end) for sure, provided its within 2 Lacks. :thumbs up

I guess it would be similar to Bosch's value motronic , they would probably put in just the main/skeleton software to activate deployment and considering that the Nano wouldn't be doing high speeds or would not be subject to high deceleration the sensors could also be cheaper i.e the tolerances could be wider and hence overall cost would be lower

Is this for the current generation Nano or the one coming after that, which will be aimed at export markets as well?