Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2008, 15:58   #421
BHPian

I think this is a guess work based on the Jazz released in Thailand.

Welcome to Honda.co.th
Old 11th August 2008, 16:14   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
I think this is a guess work based on the Jazz released in Thailand.

Welcome to Honda.co.th
Obviously!

Vicky.in or any private blog wont have authentic information for sure. So even I doubt those specs!
Old 11th August 2008, 19:07   #423
evo
BHPian

If Autocar is to be believed, then finally a CITY that I`d like! I have the NHC also, but the pics show that the NNHC will be much better looking than this so called dolphin shape...with a VTEC as standard, it`ll drive better too, I hope they ditch this numb steering.
Old 13th August 2008, 05:59   #424
Senior - BHPian

Honda to roll out new City in Sept

NEW DELHI: Honda is planning to change the rules of the sedan game with the launch of its next-generation City, the most popular mid-size car in India. The new City-2008, loaded with a host of jazzy features, will hit the market by mid-September. Sources, however, say that the new avatar will be pricier than the current version.

Honda’s largest selling car till date in India, City’s third new avatar will have a newly-designed and shaped G-CON structure sporting a toned new line-up of powertrain. As far as the new features are concerned, Honda is likely to introduce paddle shift gear option (where you don’t need to use the clutch pedal) on steering —a first in the segment—multi-airbags, integrated music system with steering mounted controls, anti-lock brake system (ABS), temperature control and electronically adjustable front seats.

Honda is looking at standardising such advanced features on all products. “We are looking at standardising the G-CON body, ABS, I-Vtec engines and few other technical features in all our future cars. It’s part our commitment to provide world-class products to the Indian market,” Honda Siel Cars India president and CEO Masahiro Takedagawa had told ET at the launch of 8th generation Accord in May this year.

When contacted by ET, the Honda spokesperson clarified that there are no such plans. “The so-called news of a new City is mere media speculation and we would not like to comment on it. The current Honda City is the only model available globally, and is doing very well in the Indian market. The Honda City ZX continues to maintain its leadership position in the premium sedan segment, even in the current slowdown,” the spokesperson said.

According to sources in the vendor industry, the local market launch will follow the City’s launch in Thailand, expected sometime in early September. The new City will be priced much higher than the current model and could be available in three-to-four trims at different price points carrying different configurations.

However, the competitively priced current City model will complement the new car for some time. “Honda is following a two-pronged strategy. It will continue to sell the current model, which will serve as its entry-level premium car, while the new City will cater to the upper premium sedan market,” said a vendor source. Honda has sold 2.3 lakh units of the current City model in India.

The new City will be pitted against the yet-to-be-launched Fiat Linea, Hyundai Elantra and Toyota’s new Corolla, which is also expected to hit the market soon. The new City is expected to reinforce Honda’s top slot in the 2.25-lakh mid-size car market in India.

Source : Honda to roll out new City in Sept- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 13th August 2008, 08:53   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
NEW DELHI: Honda is planning to change the rules of the sedan game with the launch of its next-generation City, the most popular mid-size car in India. The new City-2008, loaded with a host of jazzy features, will hit the market by mid-September.
Wow! A launch ahead of expected time? Most of the information in this thread was pointing to a Nov launch!

Quote:
The new City will be pitted against the yet-to-be-launched Fiat Linea, Hyundai Elantra and Toyota’s new Corolla, which is also expected to hit the market soon. The new City is expected to reinforce Honda’s top slot in the 2.25-lakh mid-size car market in India.
Isn't Elantra phased out by Hyundai? And will Honda City be as pricey as the new Corolla/Altis?That is Civic segment! Even entry level Corolla should be costlier than top-end Honda City? Anyway, let us watch.
Old 13th August 2008, 09:23   #426
Senior - BHPian

looks more like a speculation - this one. i really doubt if they would pitch the new city against Corolla. Thats the job of Civic, and they have just released an E version starting at 11L for the lower end.

However, looking at a hypothetical scenario where Toyota brings in new Corolla as Altis and sells a price reduced old corolla side by side (nothing new in it - Hyundai,Ford & Skoda are already doing this). Then this might be a good strategy for Honda, bringing in a little bigger city and sell the old city side by side, maybe with a reduced price.

But the possibility of a new slightly bigger city with paddle shift, safety features, VTEC engine and good gadgetry at 10L range is appealing. Heck - i would buy one
Old 13th August 2008, 09:42   #427
Senior - BHPian

Wow if this news is true then Linea should watch out here. I just hope Fiat doesnt delay anymore. New City will be launched in Thailand next month. ACI had mentioned that New City will be launched in India the same time its launched in Thailand. But later the news was Thailand in Sept , India - Diwali launch. It would be great if City s coming next month though.
Old 13th August 2008, 10:45   #428
BHPian

I dont think

I dont think its launching so soon otherwise we must have came accross more test mules, new design pics in India & across other countries too.
Old 13th August 2008, 10:56   #429
Senior - BHPian

exactly.. it would be great if the city is coming next month

city mkIII definitely looks good when compared to the old one.
Old 13th August 2008, 10:59   #430
Team-BHP Support

so now the civic, the new city, and the accord have the same features.
Old 13th August 2008, 15:12   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
“Honda is following a two-pronged strategy. It will continue to sell the current model, which will serve as its entry-level premium car, while the new City will cater to the upper premium sedan market,” said a vendor source.
Was quite surprised to read in the article about this. So the City ZX will continue to sell and the New City will sell above 8 lacs bracket. Maybe they ll just keep the City ZX EXI ( Base Version) in the market for sometime.
Old 13th August 2008, 17:36   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Was quite surprised to read in the article about this. So the City ZX will continue to sell and the New City will sell above 8 lacs bracket. Maybe they ll just keep the City ZX EXI ( Base Version) in the market for sometime.
So was I, but if this is true, then this also makes sense. The idsi option will continue to lure the FE conscious and maybe, Honda wants to test the waters with both options to see how the sales picks up. Not a bad thought.
Old 13th August 2008, 17:59   #433
evo
BHPian

Uniquely Indian?

3 versions of the Alto.
2 versions of the Lancer
2 versions of the Octavia
2 versions of the Pajero
2 versions of the Accent

As, if we didnt have enough of the old and the new selling simultaneously already!

Bring it on Honda.

Maybe they`ll call the new one URBAN, so it`ll fit in between City and Civic!
Old 13th August 2008, 20:28   #434
BHPian

Honda City to be Launched in Sept

Just read articled in economic times that honda is launching the new honda city with gcon body, ABS, airbags, Paddle shift et all in sept mid. It is going to be placed along with the present honda city and it going to come with i-vtec engine

Looks exciting. New bench mark for mid size sedan..
Old 13th August 2008, 20:31   #435
Senior - BHPian

What benchmark ? The benchmark in that segment was set quite sometime ago by the SX4. Honda is just following that trail.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed