Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2008, 11:24   #601
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The the biggest question, will Honda retain the existing car and sell the new generation also like most Indian manufacturers.
Knowing Hondas (and Toyotas) way of thinking, I don't think they will sell two generations side-by-side. The NHC will, in all certainty, be discontinued.
Old 25th August 2008, 11:36   #602
Senior - BHPian

Wow! The car looks stunning, at least in the pics. Looks like another segment leader from honda!

But yes. Many parts in the interiors are taken from the current NHC. But I dont think that should be a big worry.
Old 25th August 2008, 11:36   #603
Senior - BHPian

Finally the only ugly product in the Honda portfolio has been beautified. The car looks fabulous. Honda, now, has a very good looking range in India. Great job! Even the interiors are good. Red instrumentation lights look very sporty!

RIP SX4.
Old 25th August 2008, 11:40   #604
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
Autocar Images were very accurate! I guess they had already gotten hold of the car's actual pictures, and the pics were labled a 'photoshop job' just to cover their tracks.

But yes, the interiors are an evolution rather than a revolution. I was toying with the idea of replacing my NHC with this. Now though...I don't think so.
Just my thoughts; i think Honda would have got Autocar to run that feature with the photographs but calling them as photoshop generated.

Yes; the interiors are not earth shattering, but it gives a hint that Honda doesn't want to price the city too high compared to the current model. They need to make sure that this one doesn't encroach into the 9+ lakh segment, but at the same time, ensure their helthy margins.

My guess is this should be priced between 8-9.5 lakhs ex showroom, for the manual versions.
Old 25th August 2008, 13:16   #605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
There is no figures of FE of 1.5 VTEC City yet.
There are actually AFAIK.
Honda Worldwide | Technology Picture Book | i-VTEC
This link shows Honda's FE estimates for the two new i-VTEC engines. 24km/l for the 1.3 and 19km/l for the 1.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
True, but why change something that ain't broken? It does look like an evolved version of the current interior design and I am not complaining. The Civic-style steering wheel adds character (amazing what a steering can do!). I only wish they'd provided climate control across the board.
Im not complaining either. It's just that looking at the exterior design overhaul and what they did with the dash of the latest Civic, one was expecting to be surprised. The interior redesign is not as radical as I was expecting. The good news, looking at the interior, is that that car will probably retain the strong points of the current model i.e. roomy cabin etc. The only major change is the Civic-style steering wheel.
Old 25th August 2008, 13:22   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Just my thoughts; i think Honda would have got Autocar to run that feature with the photographs but calling them as photoshop generated.

Yes; the interiors are not earth shattering, but it gives a hint that Honda doesn't want to price the city too high compared to the current model. They need to make sure that this one doesn't encroach into the 9+ lakh segment, but at the same time, ensure their helthy margins.

My guess is this should be priced between 8-9.5 lakhs ex showroom, for the manual versions.
My understanding is Honda will maintain a gap between Civic E and G3HC top end. Because in India people dont understand the difference between the two segments. They always compare top end of a model with base model of other high segment. They should understand the difference between the both segments.

OT: I visited Maruti showroom last week and there was a group who was trying to compare Dzire ZXi and SX4 (base). These guys were least bothered about the engine, size, etc.
Old 25th August 2008, 15:17   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
There are actually AFAIK.
Honda Worldwide | Technology Picture Book | i-VTEC
This link shows Honda's FE estimates for the two new i-VTEC engines. 24km/l for the 1.3 and 19km/l for the 1.5.
Buddy Lets wait for the official Indian Road conditions mileage. Any info if the 1.3 VTEC will actually be plonked in the New City???
Old 25th August 2008, 16:09   #608
BHPian

WOW WOW WOW!!!!

That's another Beauty in the HONDA stable. Great going guys nice catch. The tails looks very BMWiesh. and goes very well with the overall car. Interiors look similar to the current car but better with the red lighting.

Excellent work by HONDA. they have just kept on going with the launch of beautiful CARS,
first the Futuristic CIVIC
then the Ultramodern CRV
followed by a Magnificent ACCORD
and now the BEAUTIFUL CITY and
i am sure the Bravura JAZZ when its Launched.

WOW!!! what an Exceptional Range of DREAM MACHINES.
Old 25th August 2008, 17:11   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Buddy Lets wait for the official Indian Road conditions mileage. Any info if the 1.3 VTEC will actually be plonked in the New City???
Dude, while we wait should we discount what Honda is saying? Let's extrapolate - the i-DSI L15A was rated at 20km/l. My City gives me 13km/l in urban driving/Delhi. Difference between rated spec and actual mileage in Indian conditions = 7km/l. Therefore the new 1.5 i-VTEC will probably give an FE of 12km/l urban.
Of course, by the same imprecise logic the 1.3 will give 17km/l!
I recall reading somewhere that they will sell the new City with both engines. Whether they do the same in India though, is a question.
I hope they do. I'd really like a fully loaded 1.3 that trounces the i-DSI in mileage. I don't want more features or more power at the cost of FE.
Old 25th August 2008, 18:03   #610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My City gives me 13km/l in urban driving/Delhi. Difference between rated spec and actual mileage in Indian conditions = 7km/l. Therefore the new 1.5 i-VTEC will probably give an FE of 12km/l urban.
Isn't that decent considering our pathetic Indian conditions - roads, traffic, fuel, air quality?

Since most people feel that old generation will be discontinued, both engine configurations (1.3 and 1.5 i-VTEC) are likely to be offered. Better choice for the buyer.
Old 25th August 2008, 19:26   #611
BHPian

The car looks very nice. Much better than the NHC. The tyres look far better and alloys are excellent. Now lets wait for the prices. I really hope they don't disappoint. Testing times ahead for the competition I guess, in case Honda prices it in close to the current NHC prices of Exi/Gxi variants.
Old 25th August 2008, 21:39   #612
BHPian

Here is some yes and no’s I observed from the photos

No
====
Electrical adjusted Wing Mirrors
Steering audio Controls
Front Arm rest
Automatic Climate Control AC
As usual no Engine Temperature Meter
Internal glass antenna

Yes
=============
Front fog Lamp
Chrome exhaust finish
Indicator Lights on Wing mirrors
SRS air Bag
All 4 Wheel Disk Brake

While looking at the pictures i feel that

There will be 3 variants’ from 1.3 which will replace the Exi, Gxi and Gxi CVT

And 1 topend 1.5 Model so that they can price it in the current range (might be 10k more)

The base version will not have ABS, Airbags, alloy wheels which we saw in the first spy picture.

Then Next version / CVT version (new photos) which will have all the above but no leather seats, steering wheel audio control and Climate Control AC

1.5 Will be having all the above and 6 speaker audio system, internal glass antenna and Chrome Door handle ( this will fight with new Corolla 1.6 if it is coming in India)

15" wheels will be default for across the version

Also noticed that 3rd gen city has only one Glow box where NHC has 2

Last edited by vvvinod : 25th August 2008 at 21:54.
Old 25th August 2008, 23:59   #613
BHPian

good looking

ma 2 cents:

after looking at the pics I must say that the 08NHC has come up very well. its sporty from outside.

but the Interiors are disappointing. IMO the center panel where the music system & A/C controls are placed looks very cheap with all silver+black & does not even match the steering wheel.

I am sure that the price is not going to go beyond the current Honda City territory as it lacks alot of luuxury/premium features.
Old 26th August 2008, 05:22   #614

The central console dash looks awefully cheap. The three knobs do not match to each other and they are not uniform in size or color or style..
Old 26th August 2008, 08:14   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope they do. I'd really like a fully loaded 1.3 that trounces the i-DSI in mileage. I don't want more features or more power at the cost of FE.
StarScream you are right. Honda should consider the 100 bhp 1.3 too for India if it can trounce (and from the website, it will) the existing City in mileage. In fact mileage is one of the key aspect which made the current City ubiquitous - and still make it rule the charts.

But i do hope they provide both options. 1.5 VTEC should be a hoot to drive.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed