Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2008, 14:38   #766
Senior - BHPian

I dont know why, but I am not able to consider this car as good looking. The front end looks like Honda engineers went out of imagination while designing. Look at Jazz or even the new Accord and this face looks a bit too odd. Not to my liking. The height of car is I think mentioned as 1470mm. Now this is also above G1HC level. Agreed, it must grow, but this is on the higher side.
Rear end also looks less graceful than G1HC, which was clearly able to display some class.

The engine temperature gauge is not provided, and this is again not good. Moreover, after reading the thread I could make out that G3HC wont have climate control. This is unpardonable. Even the Swift has it. More than just a feature, its more about convenience. For example, in Baleno, the A/C, on any highway drive, either driver or front co-passenger has to do switch off and on for the entire journey. The interiors are not that good specially from quality ( I am refering to door trims here ).

In present era, EPS is expected, but I hope it gives better feel than G2HC and Maruti's EPS. G1HC, IMO had the best power steering along with Esteem and Baleno. The Euro NCAP rating are not available. The ride quality will be a question despite having independent rear suspension. And again, after looking at the pictures, I hope this car does not give up issues of ground clearence.

Overall: Less than what was expected. Looks are not good and more creativity could have helped. Doesnt have the looks for the cost and class in which it is. Engine expected to blow away the present under 10lakh cars and Ford Fiesta better watch out. I would prefer more low slung design like G1HC.
Old 11th September 2008, 14:56   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The Euro NCAP rating are not available.
Euro NCAP ratings for the City wouldn't be avaliable as the car is developed and sold only in 'third world countries'. Yes, even almighty Honda does it. The maximum we can do is look at the Jazz's ratings and hope for the best!

Quote:
Driver seat has arm rest which is a big plus.
That's another feature that will probably be stripped off in India.

No EPS shouldn't be much of an issue. Apart from SX4, no other car in the C/C+ segment has it. Even the upcoming Linea is supposedly coming with HPS. Besides, after expereincing my SX4's EPS, I think HPS makes better sense.

Last edited by amit : 11th September 2008 at 15:04.
Old 11th September 2008, 15:55   #768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Euro NCAP ratings for the City wouldn't be avaliable as the car is developed and sold only in 'third world countries'. Yes, even almighty Honda does it. The maximum we can do is look at the Jazz's ratings and hope for the best!
City gets sold in Japan too. Euro NCAP is not available because, Honda doesn't sell City in UK or US.
Old 11th September 2008, 16:04   #769

hey guys, c'mon...
Honda knows the preferences of Indian customer and they will surely take care of those things.
Has anyone seen Thai/Malaysian CIVIC... its stipped down, no beige interiors... no climate control.. but Indian one has everything...
Honda will not be a fool to go a step down any which ways...
Also, they will not at all let SX4 compete the City..
So, just see the exterior of Thai City.. thats what is coming to India..
As far as Interiors are concerned, expect complete makeover, better fit n finish and comfort features like climate control etc for Indian City..

Anyone agrees with me here?
Old 11th September 2008, 16:09   #770
Senior - BHPian

This new City is easily going to cream any competition that the present City cant. Of course this is pretty obvious considering the sales of the present model despite newer competition.

The biggest plus will be that the new one will satisfy the performance oriented who otherwise found the present one lacking and had to satisfy with things like a sx4.

First drive reports of the new Jazz/Fit have specially mentioned the major progress the car has made on the dynamic front. Also dimensionally the new City is both lower and wider, not to mention the 1.5 i vtec

Lookswise although a subjective, most BHPians have found it great. The interiors can only be commented on once we get to touch/feel it. But that said it will easily outdo the present competition in the interior/exterior stakes.

Honda has just raised the benchmark further. I think theyve struck the right balance between the driver oriented firsst generation and the far more practical present one.

Fingers crossed Honda wont decide to blow a hole in everyones pockets as well.
Old 11th September 2008, 16:46   #771
BHPian

Quote:
I dont know why, but I am not able to consider this car as good looking. The front end looks like Honda engineers went out of imagination while designing. Look at Jazz or even the new Accord and this face looks a bit too odd. Not to my liking. The height of car is I think mentioned as 1470mm. Now this is also above G1HC level. Agreed, it must grow, but this is on the higher side.
Rear end also looks less graceful than G1HC, which was clearly able to display some class.

The engine temperature gauge is not provided, and this is again not good. Moreover, after reading the thread I could make out that G3HC wont have climate control. This is unpardonable. Even the Swift has it. More than just a feature, its more about convenience. For example, in Baleno, the A/C, on any highway drive, either driver or front co-passenger has to do switch off and on for the entire journey. The interiors are not that good specially from quality ( I am refering to door trims here ).

Overall: Less than what was expected. Looks are not good and more creativity could have helped. Doesnt have the looks for the cost and class in which it is. Engine expected to blow away the present under 10lakh cars and Ford Fiesta better watch out. I would prefer more low slung design like G1HC.
Absolutely agree with you, we ran down more than 50 pages of discussion for a car that's not outright good looking, has cheap interiors and shows cost cutting in both features and interiors.
I am disappointed with the G3HC, has let me down.
If its prices at 9 lacs plus,i would think Honda will cheat Indians once again.
Old 11th September 2008, 17:07   #772
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

What price point was the old NHC launched vis-a-vis the then existing OHC ? Was it more expensive ?
Old 11th September 2008, 17:20   #773
BHPian

I believe OHC was more expensive than the NHC.
Old 11th September 2008, 17:25   #774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Guys,

What price point was the old NHC launched vis-a-vis the then existing OHC ? Was it more expensive ?
OHC vtech was 9.5 L in Delhi, then NHC starting was good low price in 2005 you have shell out 7.5 L in delhi for GXI model. Then again they increase the price which you can check on their site . Hope they keep base modle around 7- 7.5 L and top end around 8.5 -9 L.
Old 11th September 2008, 18:19   #775
BHPian

pix : 2009 Honda City - Autoblog

Last edited by scorp 1 : 11th September 2008 at 18:32.
Old 11th September 2008, 18:38   #776
Senior - BHPian

Guys, we are running into too much assumptions on the Indian car like always onTbhp before a launch.

We still dont know which avatar Honda will get the car to India. Climate control should atleast be provided on the high end version. No prizes for guessing why they should.. We can expect more in a 8+ lakh car. I hope they refine the interiors for our market.

Lets not jump the gun and brand the car before its launch in India. I am sure Thailand is not a benchmark for what Honda is planning to offer in India and vice versa.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 11th September 2008 at 18:39.
Old 11th September 2008, 21:59   #777
oss
BHPian

Guys,
What's the Ground Clearance on this model?
Old 12th September 2008, 09:53   #778

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Guys, we are running into too much assumptions on the Indian car like always onTbhp before a launch.

We still dont know which avatar Honda will get the car to India. Climate control should atleast be provided on the high end version. No prizes for guessing why they should.. We can expect more in a 8+ lakh car. I hope they refine the interiors for our market.

Lets not jump the gun and brand the car before its launch in India. I am sure Thailand is not a benchmark for what Honda is planning to offer in India and vice versa.
Agreed....I think they would give us a better car...Honda would go for a kill now in the sub 10L market.....
Old 12th September 2008, 11:49   #779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont know why, but I am not able to consider this car as good looking. The front end looks like Honda engineers went out of imagination while designing. Look at Jazz or even the new Accord and this face looks a bit too odd. Not to my liking.
I agree. In fact the car styling in general, especially with Japanese seems to have lost the direction a bit. From model to model, you dont see attempt to improvise but things taking a new directions altogether and make it look radical from previous generation. Even here the styling looks forced and overdone. If a previous model has a tail lamp slanting in one angle, in the new model you would see it slanting the other way, just to make things look different. there is not much charector or conviction. It the 'planned absolecence' at it's peak. Also I feel many new cars lack styling integrity and look like different designers have worked on different areas like front and back.
Old 12th September 2008, 14:50   #780

New Honda City Actual Snaps

Some of the latest pics of Honda City

SCOOP! All New 3rd Gen Honda City Caught Testing EDIT : Interior pics on Pg. 39-newhondacity1.jpg

SCOOP! All New 3rd Gen Honda City Caught Testing EDIT : Interior pics on Pg. 39-newhondacity4.jpg

SCOOP! All New 3rd Gen Honda City Caught Testing EDIT : Interior pics on Pg. 39-newhondacity5.jpg

SCOOP! All New 3rd Gen Honda City Caught Testing EDIT : Interior pics on Pg. 39-newhondacity6.jpg

SCOOP! All New 3rd Gen Honda City Caught Testing EDIT : Interior pics on Pg. 39-newhondacity9.jpg

SCOOP! All New 3rd Gen Honda City Caught Testing EDIT : Interior pics on Pg. 39-newhondacity11.jpg

SCOOP! All New 3rd Gen Honda City Caught Testing EDIT : Interior pics on Pg. 39-newhondacity16.jpg
Closed Thread

Most Viewed