Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2008, 22:21   #1
BHPian

Palio and Panda replacements coming in 2009 - Times of India, Times Drive

I came across this article and thought I should share it with everyone here.

>> Fiat confirms new cars
PALIO AND PANDA REPLACEMENTS COMING IN 2009
Times of India, Mumbai - Times Drive. May 30, 2008

With the Fiat 500 selling like the auto equivalent of the Nintendo Wii (try finding either and you’re bound to be disappointed), Fiat has announced plans for a microcar positioned between the 500 and the Panda which will be made available in the coming couple of years. No prizes for guessing which one is due to be replaced around the same time (hint: it rhymes with propaganda). Yes, you have guessed right (we are hopeful) although you may think how would it be of any consequence to us.The Panda wasn’t sold in India to begin with.Well, the way Fiat has been going around trying to change their image worldwide and indeed in India it would be no surprise to see Fiat making the likes of the Panda available.

Also planned from the big F is a B-compact model to eventually replace the Palio family, targeted at markets such as South America, Russia, India and China.

The Palio has already been on sale for a decade now and has gone through a few facelifts as well. However, age is certainly showing on the Palio’s classy design, especially on the interior trimming and will need an all new look to get the ball rolling again.The Palio sells above 100,000 units a year in the above mentioned markets and Fiat would look to assemble the model locally.The B-compact model, known as the ‘new Uno’ may have an estate version. Fiat head honcho Sergio Marchionne has hinted in the past that the defunct Innocenti brand could be brought back and he has never hidden his glee at Renault’s successful re-launching of the Dacia low-cost brand.Whether it would bear the Fiat marque remains to be seen.

Fiat have already lined up the fantastic new cars, the Grande Punto and the Linea for an India launch later this year and keeping the slew of new cars coming through even in the coming years will only add value.
Old 31st May 2008, 00:27   #2
Team-BHP Support

We did have a spy pic from Brazil in one of the threads? Don't remember the thread though. Anyways, a good move by FIAT to come out with an all new car. Palio has been stretched too far, by international standards.

But, i wonder about the spare parts availability once the car gets replaced. Already this is a serious problem for owners!
Old 31st May 2008, 03:07   #3
BHPian

Quote:
With the Fiat 500 selling like the auto equivalent of the Nintendo Wii (try finding either and you’re bound to be disappointed), Fiat has announced plans for a microcar positioned between the 500 and the Panda which will be made available in the coming couple of years.
Are they talking about size or price/market segment? Because the 500 is in a different segment altogether from the Panda though smaller in size, and IIRC it is more expensive than the 500 as well.
Old 31st May 2008, 08:35   #4
BHPian

New Palio Weekend/Adventure launched in Brazil:

: Foros / Noticias Fiat / FotografĂ*as oficiales: NUEVA PALIO WEEKEND / ADVENTURE 2009

Enjoy the pics. Scroll down to view the beautiful car.

-BSR
Old 31st May 2008, 10:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rao_battula View Post
New Palio Weekend/Adventure launched in Brazil:

: Foros / Noticias Fiat / FotografĂ*as oficiales: NUEVA PALIO WEEKEND / ADVENTURE 2009

Enjoy the pics. Scroll down to view the beautiful car.

-BSR

I think that the car seen is still based on Platfrom 178.
Old 31st May 2008, 12:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4strings View Post
Fiat have already lined up the fantastic new cars, the Grande Punto and the Linea for an India launch later this year and keeping the slew of new cars coming through even in the coming years will only add value.
Just launching new cars will add value ? What about A.S.S ? Parts availability ? Guess FIAT is still not thinking on those lines.

Giving the owners proper and prompt service will add more value to the brand than any new model launch. When will FIAT understand this ?
Old 31st May 2008, 13:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Like normally_crazy mentioned, all these beautiful cars mean nothing if Fiat doesnt get its act together. Imagine driving out of the showroom thinking ahead of the shoddy ownership experience and worse - pathetic re-sale value.

The Palio Adventure locker looks great. Wonder if it is offered with 4WD. I would like to see the Indian Palio with these interiors:

Source: : Foros / Noticias Fiat / FotografĂ*as oficiales: NUEVA PALIO WEEKEND / ADVENTURE 2009
Attached Thumbnails
Palio and Panda replacements coming in 2009 - Times of India, Times Drive-palio-int.jpg  

Palio and Panda replacements coming in 2009 - Times of India, Times Drive-palio-int1.jpg  

Old 31st May 2008, 14:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure about the platform ? Is it brand new or is it old ?

Here is one more link:
Fiat Presents The New Palio Weekend Adventure in Brazil
Attached Thumbnails
Palio and Panda replacements coming in 2009 - Times of India, Times Drive-fiatadventure09.jpg  

Palio and Panda replacements coming in 2009 - Times of India, Times Drive-fiatadventure091.jpg  

Palio and Panda replacements coming in 2009 - Times of India, Times Drive-fiatadventure0912.jpg  

Last edited by aaggoswami : 31st May 2008 at 14:33.
Old 31st May 2008, 16:04   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I am not sure about the platform ? Is it brand new or is it old ?
New platform? I think the new one which will come in 2009 will be having the new platform.

All the others are based on the 178 platform which is shared by the hatch (Palio), estate (weekend), Crossover estate (adventure), sedan (Sienna) and the pickup truck (Was it Strada?).
Old 31st May 2008, 23:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would love to buy the locker if it's launched in India. But knowing FIAT, I know its not coming here :(
Old 31st May 2008, 23:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
New platform? I think the new one which will come in 2009 will be having the new platform.

All the others are based on the 178 platform which is shared by the hatch (Palio), estate (weekend), Crossover estate (adventure), sedan (Sienna) and the pickup truck (Was it Strada?).
I am not sure about the name of the pick up truck..
I hope that a new platform arrives from fiat and with it comes new Palio atleast.
Old 31st May 2008, 23:29   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I am not sure about the name of the pick up truck..
Did some google. It is called FIAT Strada. Has almost everything same as the Palio till the middle, from where its a pick- up! In fact, the interiors seem to be of better quality than the ones sold here.
Palio and Panda replacements coming in 2009 - Times of India, Times Drive-fiat_strada_large.jpg
Old 31st May 2008, 23:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

@crazydriver:
Yes most of the times the interiors of indian Fiat car are lower than those in Brazil.

Looking forward to new platform of cars that will definatley have much better interiors.

Strada part was good and so was quick googling.
Old 3rd June 2008, 16:48   #14
BHPian

Hope for Adventure

I really wish Fiat launches the Adventure with the MJD engine, maybe a 1.9 version.

But I also guess the company would be focusing solely on Punto and Linea right now
Old 5th June 2008, 07:41   #15
BHPian

I like the red one. Looks a lot like the Ferrari Red colour

Source: RodRally, 2008, 'NUEVA PALIO WEEKEND / ADVENTURE 2009' , www.clubpalio.cl, viewed on 5th June 2008

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks