Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2008, 12:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbaliga View Post
That's really good news. IMHO, the pricing i doubt will be below 10Lacs. History goes for Auto tranny pricing in India to be above the top end available models. I would expect the auto transmission to be 10.5L -10.75L on road. Let's hope for the best.

Hyundai would rather not launch it instead of launching it above 10.5 lacs mark. Anything bet. 9-9.5 lacs will sell.
Old 31st May 2008, 12:50   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetu4444 View Post
i dont think they will come out with tiptronic, it will be normal 5 speed gear box..
Yes actually the triptronic is the automatic of the time the old 5 speed gear boxes are sluggish !!
What happened to the scorpio automatic anybody has more news or pictures of it undergoing test s ?
Old 31st May 2008, 16:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

what is the point ?? what is the demand for automatic cars in the sub 10 lakh category ( how many NHC CVTs are being sold anyways ? )
Old 31st May 2008, 17:21   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
what is the point ?? what is the demand for automatic cars in the sub 10 lakh category ( how many NHC CVTs are being sold anyways ? )
Indian driving conditions (bumper to bumper traffic) are most conducive to automatic transmissions. Its only a matter of time before the awareness levels increase, and more buyers tick the automatic checkbox on their order forms.

I say, bring the Verna automatic on! Hyundai could use a differentiating factor in that market segment. There is potential, since the combination of diesel + automatic under 10 lakhs is not available yet.
Old 31st May 2008, 23:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Yes, GTO. It's indeed ironic that for all the B-to-B crawl traffic we have across the nation, Indians prefer manual cars. And for all the expansive roads and parking lots in US, the Americans go for automatics. I'm sure couple of years down the road when traffic gets more maddening and when manufacturers come with more automatic models, the sales will pick up significantly. Then, just as you won't buy a car these days without aircon / power steering, a time may come when people would ask a salesman, "What? No auto-transmission? "

Automatic Verna is welcome. But I guess it wouldl be priced around 11 lakhs. Closer to Civic and Laura auto. Shouldn't Hyundai also launch a diesel CVT automatic i10? The only small auto car right now is Santro which is petrol and which is not CVT.
Old 31st May 2008, 23:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Indian driving conditions (bumper to bumper traffic) are most conducive to automatic transmissions. Its only a matter of time before the awareness levels increase, and more buyers tick the automatic checkbox on their order forms.

I say, bring the Verna automatic on! Hyundai could use a differentiating factor in that market segment. There is potential, since the combination of diesel + automatic under 10 lakhs is not available yet.
I totally agree with you on that and wish we had good automatics in this price range.

The only one available presently is the Honda City and i have test driven it.

If it was not the new honda city (a car i totally dislike) i would have gone for it.

I agree with you on another count the awareness about automatics is seriously low.
I also see a big bottleneck to bringing automatics and their success here. The automatic models have a lower fuel efficiency, a factor high on indian consumers mind.
Enthusiasts and lovers excluded i think its going to take a long time before the we see significant volumes on automatic sales here.
Maybe a diesel automatic is something to nullify that fuel efficiency factor.

I am eagerly waiting to see the verna automatic model a great
move from Hyundai indeed.

Hyundai have been the most active and innovative car manufacturer in recent times. They have figured 6th place on the quality charts and the guy at their main showroom here in New Delhi was mentioning about them being very keen to maintain this quality.
There used to be a showroom in Delhi Rama Hyundai the dealer there used to replace parts in new cars before selling them off.
If its any measure of their customer and quality seriousness, they canceled his dealership.
Old 1st June 2008, 00:23   #22
BHPian

That's gr8 news! The i10 Automatic was to be launched in February, let's hope they indeed launch it by July. Looks like auto-makers are "finally" getting sensible and making automatic transmission available in the 4-10 Lakh segment which has the most consumers. Definitely competitors will follow suit.
People will prefer reliable auto-transmission over manual in crowded cities any day!! Two thumbs-up for Hyundai if they can price it right and without technical flaws
Old 1st June 2008, 01:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
You will be surprised. Try getting a pre owned one and you will know. Though the actual figures as compared to the Manual option would not be much, the market is not exactly a niche segment anymore.
I have a NHC CVT and I had a hell of a time searching for a good pre owned example. I think the new car is overpriced at almost nine lacs so I wanted a pre owned one. It took me well over two months to find a car. There were just were none available.
The NHC lacs character, unlike the previous gen citys. I hate the looks, the way she handles and almost everything about it except its practicality and bullet proof mechanicals. But they have gone too far trying to make it practical and have succeeded. I love driving it in the city traffic, light and nimble. The highway can be a sore topic though.
Also there was no other choice available as i already have an auto Santro and Wifey wont touch a manual. (why do you think im trying stunts with what was supposed to be her Swift??)
Coming to Hyundai, i respect the company and its products. No less than the its Japanese counterpart. My Santro has done about 64K Kilometers since new and is built like a rock. I have also seen Viper's Getz get into an unfortunate bad accident. I have also seen Viper walk out of it without a scratch (thank God) wherein the car was smashed so i can vouch for Hyundai build quality. The Honda is not my preferred choice of car. My CRV has sheet metal, like paper, so has the NHC.
As Indians, we have grown up with the lesson that an auto cannot be repaired once it goes bad, much like I have seen many a person getting reprimanded by their elders for using the indicator for changing lanes. "You might break it" was the logic. This was the case some years ago.
This logic went for a toss as traffic grew and A/cs became almost mandatory.
No windows down, no hand signals. So one got used to using the indicator to change lanes.
Just as these impressions change, so will the auto-box impression. Ask anyone who has used it once in traffic. They are hooked for life.
My family has had autos since I can remember. I learnt driving on a 66 LHD auto. At that time there was no option. An imported car was available from the STC and it was a sale through tender, as is where is. Mostly these were cars bought by diplomats and counsulates, which were sold to our government at throw away prices, which we were offered at some stupidly high prices (and which we readily bought). There was no choice of colour or trim or even drive train. Hence being lovers of large cars (my Grandfathers built was a huge deciding factor) we bought a lot of these huge tanks. I guess thats why I was initiated into auto-boxes at a very early age.
With the advent of crazy traffic and more and more women driving, the auto-box revolution is inevitable. Mark my words, When women will walk into the car showrooms sans their husbands or fathers who make the choice for them, they will opt for the auto box. It will come sooner than we all think. Im sure every car company is looking into this option. Dont even consider hearing any argument which rotates around the failure of auto-boxes in Marutis. All their cars had auto-boxes which were lemons. The Esteem, the 800, the WagonR and the Zen. The lesser said regarding the automatic versions about these, the better.
Before I bought the auto Santro I wanted to go in for an auto WagonR as I had previously owned a WagonR and i think it is one hell of a practical car, yes even over the Santro.
When i went to check the auto version out, i was shocked to find it was available only in base version with power steering and A/c. and cost a whopping 75K more than the highest version of the manual WagonR. Then the box was crap. Thats why i opted for the Santro.
Coming to the point of the pricing, I think Hyundai have always priced their products very competitively (Santro, Accent, Sonata) Dont know what happens to them with CBUs and the Getz.

Lets hope the Verna comes at a sub 10 lac price bracket. It will be lapped up im positive. If they get greedy, Honda will laugh all the way to the bank yet again.
Old 1st June 2008, 02:08   #24
BANNED

does anyone has any pics of this car with autobox at all ? i guess its the accent world over. is it triptronic there or normal box ?
Old 1st June 2008, 02:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
does anyone has any pics of this car with autobox at all ? i guess its the accent world over. is it triptronic there or normal box ?
My guess is it will not be the priptronic but you never know. To outdo the competition, they might offer the triptronic. Remember they offered the H-MAtic triptronic on the Sonata V-6 against the ordinary autobox of the Accord. Lets hope they will do the same but IMHO it does not make a difference. How many of us actually use the triptronic in the actual sense of the word??
Old 1st June 2008, 02:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

lousy

You all know how really lousy Indian drivers are across the board. I mean generally, they stink. They make poor decisions, they do not have good control of their vehicles and they are rude-inconsiderate.

Automatic transmissions, should they become common on the roads, will tend to allow more women and more idiots to drive cars because they make driving easier for the novice. I foresee even greater chaos and mayhem out on the roads. This is just what India needs. It will be a factor in helping keep the population of India down as it will add to the number of traffic deaths.
Old 1st June 2008, 02:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
You all know how really lousy Indian drivers are across the board. I mean generally, they stink. They make poor decisions, they do not have good control of their vehicles and they are rude-inconsiderate.

Automatic transmissions, should they become common on the roads, will tend to allow more women and more idiots to drive cars because they make driving easier for the novice. I foresee even greater chaos and mayhem out on the roads. This is just what India needs. It will be a factor in helping keep the population of India down as it will add to the number of traffic deaths.
On the contrary DirtyDan. Not all women drivers are as bad as you think they are. Some men are worse.
Secondly forget these cars becoming so cheap that everyone will get them. I think you should be more worried about the Tata Nano in this case but can anyone stop progress. I think the way the laws are getting stringent the day wont be far when drivers will have to pass a proper test as against a farce what they go through today.
Old 1st June 2008, 09:11   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
This is my next car for sure. Hyundai - guys better price it perfect, please.
Like ROC, I suspect the turbo lag and slushy Hyundai box (if the Santro box is anything to go by) wont make for a fun drive. a CVT or DSG type box would be nicer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
There is potential, since the combination of diesel + automatic under 10 lakhs is not available yet.
Dotn forget a B segment auto hatch. :-) Skoda missed out on this niche with the Fabia, hope Honda (Jazz) or Hyundai (Getz) offer this soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Also there was no other choice available as i already have an auto Santro and Wifey wont touch a manual.

With the advent of crazy traffic and more and more women driving, the auto-box revolution is inevitable. Mark my words, When women will walk into the car showrooms sans their husbands or fathers who make the choice for them, they will opt for the auto box..
MY wife wont touch and Auto. I have to force her to drive the City. But I belive that once a Palio/Fabia/A3 sized auto is avaialble she might switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
My guess is it will not be the priptronic but you never know.
I think it is Tiptronic.
Old 1st June 2008, 09:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

That is great news. I hope Hyundai will price it between 9 to 10 lakhs.

Would a petrol auto be better considering the turbo lag and NVH? I think a person going for auto would not care much for fuel efficiency. Also ladies would prefer petrol rather than a diesel.
Old 1st June 2008, 10:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indian driving conditions (bumper to bumper traffic) are most conducive to automatic transmissions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Yes, GTO. It's indeed ironic that for all the B-to-B crawl traffic we have across the nation, Indians prefer manual cars.

Yes thats true but most cars in India anyways are automatics. By that I mean chauffer driven. Why should the owner care about bumper to bumper traffic and parking problems? Until Indians are going to get cheap labour, automatics aren't going to take off in India and I don't see cheap labour not being avaliable anytime in the near future. Only way round this is if Automatics are avaliable at a price thats cheaper or same as manuals.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks