Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2008, 10:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fuel price hike fear creates mad rush in Pune

You would think Armageddon was about to happen any time soon

Yesterday, While returning from office, saw a long line of vehicles at almost every petrol pump. I was wondering what the hell is going on. Anyway, didnt think too much about it and later proceeded with my wife to watch the new Indiana Jones movie (which I liked).

After the show, We drive out at aboyt 10:30pm and encounter a traffic jam !! Again a long line of vehicles lined up to refuel in the middle of the night !!

Turns out people are rushing to have their tank filled before the price hike and this has created an artificial shortage. I really dont know how much will they save.. Max Rs 200 if you consider a tank full !!

Demand for fuel spirals as price rise fear forces shortage - ExpressIndia.Com
Old 31st May 2008, 10:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

We had a similar situation in Vadodara. It was chaos. Already the roads are not wide and 30% of the road is usually taken up by parking. Coupled with the rush for fueling, I got 55kmpl from my bike after taking this route. 3 kms in 35mins on a bike in a small city!

Actually there was news in newpaper that anyone cant take buy the amount of fuel he/she wants. It will be regulated as per the availability of fuel and fuel pump manager will have the final authority to decide how much fuel to be given to whom.
Old 31st May 2008, 13:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Just filled up my car's tank y'day morning. Did not observe any rush or maddening queues here neither in morning nor in evening though...
Old 31st May 2008, 13:19   #4
BHPian

I always fill at Shell. Hope there will be no 'Q' or mad rush at Shell petrol pumps .
Old 31st May 2008, 13:57   #5
BHPian

Actually the thing is people never Calculate how much they are going to save by rushing to petrol pump in mad rush. It has more to do with satisfaction of getting tank full a day before price hike. Irrespective of amount you actually save.

One of my friend fills Petrol every time b4 a Hike for Rs 500. Which equals to 10.9 L of petrol. Even if price rise is 5 RS. He actually just saves Rs 50. And knowing him, He is one of those guys who doesnt care about 300-400 Bugs. So I guess its personal satisfaction more than anything else. Though its kinda funny.
Old 31st May 2008, 14:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
Actually the thing is people never Calculate how much they are going to save by rushing to petrol pump in mad rush. It has more to do with satisfaction of getting tank full a day before price hike. Irrespective of amount you actually save.

One of my friend fills Petrol every time b4 a Hike for Rs 500. Which equals to 10.9 L of petrol. Even if price rise is 5 RS. He actually just saves Rs 50. And knowing him, He is one of those guys who doesnt care about 300-400 Bugs. So I guess its personal satisfaction more than anything else. Though its kinda funny.
Typical Indian mentality... these are the classical examples.

~LT
Old 31st May 2008, 14:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post

As per the news coming out frm Oil Ministry, this time the hike may be very high, say around Rs.10/ltr. Saving Rs.10/ltr and if your tank can take upto 45 ltrs, you will save Rs.450 which is quite a sum of money, IMO. But if the hike is only marginal say around Rs.2/ltr, then what you have informed above might be true.
Old 31st May 2008, 14:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
You would think Armageddon was about to happen any time soon

Anyway, didnt think too much about it and later proceeded with my wife to watch the new Indiana Jones movie (which I liked).
Buy a fridge and keep (if you see the movie - you will understand)...
An easy and quick way to avoid an armageddon or nuke
Cant believe this is a Spielberg movie
Old 31st May 2008, 14:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Mmm... the earlier version was Rs.10 per liter, but say on the new ticker in one of the news channels that petrol is going to rise by Rs 3 per liter.

And I had gone to fuel up today morning and did not notice any rush.
Old 31st May 2008, 15:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

About 10 or more years ago, we used to see people rushing to get their tanks filled before a fuel price hike.
I don't see it happening much these days. Seems like no one is bothered about it as much.
Old 31st May 2008, 18:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
About 10 or more years ago, we used to see people rushing to get their tanks filled before a fuel price hike.
I don't see it happening much these days. Seems like no one is bothered about it as much.
IMO, people are getting more richer day by day. Hence many people are not bothered about this hikes.
Old 31st May 2008, 18:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
IMO, people are getting more richer day by day. Hence many people are not bothered about this hikes.
the richer you get the bigger cars you buy + bigger cars equals less distance per litre which makes the fuel consumption rate for rich or poor the same...
( yes i know i am a very clever)

Mods note: Use punctuation properly. Use upper case to start a sentence.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd June 2008 at 08:10.
Old 1st June 2008, 08:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Most of the cars I saw queued up at 10:30pm were NHC's and Fiesta's - C segment cars. So the richer you get, the greedier you get !!
Old 1st June 2008, 09:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

the petroleum company's officials said that there is no shortage at all. but when i had gone to the bharat petroleum company owned pump in pune near RTO, they had no stock except Speed 97.

regarding shell, in pune its already selling at Rs.60. the people who used to buy from them stopped going to that pump long before.

there are long lines only at particular pumps. i dont know why. but there are many pumps which have no lines.
Old 1st June 2008, 10:53   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Most of the cars I saw queued up at 10:30pm were NHC's and Fiesta's - C segment cars. So the richer you get, the greedier you get !!
anyway most of the guys who buy nhcs buy it for saving money on fuel. so can you blame it if you saw mainly nhcs? im sure you wouldve seen indicas and all also.

Most Viewed