Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2008, 14:55   #166
BHPian

Just came back from HMP Chennai. I went to make a booking for the Magna Automatic. The sales people there said they have prices for all models except the Magna (with Kappa engine). The salesperson who i had previously transacted with wasn't available so returned home.
An ASTA Automatic and a Sportz Manual were on display. They weren't allowing test drives yet, but I guess for serious customer they would. I'll be going there on Sunday again to book our white Magna automatic. So hopefully post a test report then.
Old 18th July 2008, 14:57   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tez View Post
looking at the pricing, I would be eager to see how does hyundai price i20 which as per Autocar is in getz and swift's range. Also dont these prices intrude getz territory.
This territory thing is an old mindset which people are getting rid of nowadays. If there were any territory consideration, people wouldn't buy swift, getz or i10 which are in the sedan's territory (Ikon, Logan, Accent, Esteem, etc). People are ready to pay for what they get. That is why I think i10 and swift sold very well (small cars that respected ABS, air bags, etc. etc.) i10 top end touches accent, getz/i20 top end touch verna, still people buy more of getz than accent.
Old 18th July 2008, 15:57   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
This territory thing is an old mindset which people are getting rid of nowadays. If there were any territory consideration, people wouldn't buy swift, getz or i10 which are in the sedan's territory (Ikon, Logan, Accent, Esteem, etc). People are ready to pay for what they get. That is why I think i10 and swift sold very well (small cars that respected ABS, air bags, etc. etc.) i10 top end touches accent, getz/i20 top end touch verna, still people buy more of getz than accent.
I'd disagree, because the sedans that you've mentioned are either old, dull-looking or almost obsolete. Serious enthusiasts who also respect ABS/Airbags would never go for the Logans and the Indigos. I am not sure of the top end of Getz enters the Verna segment. But if people really buy Swift and the i10, thats because they look great, have features loaded and are extremely VFM for a drivers car!
Old 18th July 2008, 16:59   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
I'd disagree, because the sedans that you've mentioned are either old, dull-looking or almost obsolete. Serious enthusiasts who also respect ABS/Airbags would never go for the Logans and the Indigos. I am not sure of the top end of Getz enters the Verna segment. But if people really buy Swift and the i10, thats because they look great, have features loaded and are extremely VFM for a drivers car!
Off-topic, but lookwise, Indica is one of the best looking while wagonR and Swift are the ugliest (though people would still claim as subjective, but all would agree that Civic or Aishwaria look good ).

But honestly, when Verna was launched, Hyundai was written off by experts saying that Hyundai has messed up in its pricing because of its overlapping with Accent. The same was later followed up by Maruti, where top-end of lower segment meets the lower-end of next higher segment.
Old 18th July 2008, 17:03   #170
Senior - BHPian

Looks like they changed the names of the versions. How much extra are they charging for the new engine...all other options remaining the same?
Old 18th July 2008, 22:09   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimi View Post
Finally, you have realised that Hyundai is not differentiating Indian consumers in terms of price!
Coming to feature differences: Before a model or variant is made available in the market, every manufacturer does a clinic with the consumers and with the distributors. And then the the manufacturer takes a call based on their feedback. This type of market survey is called an image clinic. You may please speak to any agencies who specialize in these type of clinics to know more.
Probably Indian consumers, during such a clinic did not see a necessity for the 3rd headrest at all, instead they would have given more priority of some other feature. (how many cars in India, by the way have the 3rd Headrest? except for the CBU/SKD cars)
So what I want to say here is that an individuals remark is not what any manufacturer will consider, but if its a groups remark, its taken more seriously.
Any way, lets see how the i10 kappa does and then draw conclusions.
Requesting all team-bhp ians to give more factual statements than just roumors & biased perceptions. I think this site is very good for any enthusiast and requires more correct informations than just gossips
Cheers
The center seat headrest is a safety feature. Without it, one has a very good chance of serious injury (even death) in a rear end collision. It doesn't matter whether the customer asks for it or not. I wonder how many people in the 'image clinic' realize it's not just for convenience, it's for safety.

Most people (95%+ from what I've seen) do not wear seatbelts in India. I wonder how many even ask for it. Does that mean they should make a car without seatbelts?

They can ask the customers for convenience features and take a survey. But there must be no question about safety features, especially ones that cost next to nothing.
Old 18th July 2008, 22:24   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isodope View Post

How much of a difference does 1.2bhp make to you, exactly? Or to the car's performance and fuel efficiency?
Its matter of confusion. It seems for a past one year, the manufacturers have gone mad and are not sticking to one standard for ratinng power in one unit.

Quote:

This has been pointed out already by someone else - I think you've understood it now.
Thank You. Again its to clear any sort of arising confusion.

Quote:

You haven't read the statement clearly, again - they say "no diesel plans at the moment." Those last three words are important. The report states facts, not speculation. If you have inside information on the diesel, good for you. This report is about what was said at the launch, and not about what the writer feels their plans are.
Thank You once again. I am sure they have plans but they are not reaveling. Its not a huge wild guess. Thats why I doubt the statements made.
Old 19th July 2008, 03:50   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Correction: Logan's highest variant comes with ABS and a driver side airbag. Passenger side airbag is coming soon.
Old 20th July 2008, 01:00   #174

A getz glx1.3 with ABS, alloy wheels, manual tx comes to OTR of 5.73 (Blore). The i10 1.2 Asta WS (sunroof) AT (auto tx) with addtl airbags, and comparable performance (80 bhp vs 82 of getz, 11.4/4000 vs 11.8/3200) comes to about 6.2 (based on ex showroom of 5.47). If I had to make a choice today which one should I go for?
I have TDd the i10 1.1 and the getz 1.1, I definitely felt the getz to be more powerful, and the i10 was very smooth and silent. One factor for me is also the size of the i10 (Im 5'10"), so am a bit concerned if it would cramp me out after some time, but then the auto transmission should reduce the need for shifting your feet continuously.
Old 20th July 2008, 10:01   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhan View Post
A getz glx1.3 with ABS, alloy wheels, manual tx comes to OTR of 5.73 (Blore). The i10 1.2 Asta WS (sunroof) AT (auto tx) with addtl airbags, and comparable performance (80 bhp vs 82 of getz, 11.4/4000 vs 11.8/3200) comes to about 6.2 (based on ex showroom of 5.47). If I had to make a choice today which one should I go for?
I have TDd the i10 1.1 and the getz 1.1, I definitely felt the getz to be more powerful, and the i10 was very smooth and silent. One factor for me is also the size of the i10 (Im 5'10"), so am a bit concerned if it would cramp me out after some time, but then the auto transmission should reduce the need for shifting your feet continuously.
Get the 1.2 Magna Auto. Less expensive than Astra and comparable performance with getz, Unless you absolutely want the subroof and additional airbags!

Do not get the 1.1, its older and feels underpowered!

Why? i10 is newer car compared to Getz. The only reason to get the getz over i10 at this point would be space/big car feel/ride quality etc.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Elito11 : 20th July 2008 at 10:03.
Old 20th July 2008, 11:14   #176
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Why? i10 is newer car compared to Getz. The only reason to get the getz over i10 at this point would be space/big car feel/ride quality etc.

Best of luck!

That seems reason enough? OTOH if the auto trans is good the i10 may very well be the ideal city car.
Old 20th July 2008, 15:18   #177
rks
BANNED

So peformance-wise the Kappa i10 looks like a very exciting car. 0-100 in about 12.5 secs, 140 kmph top whack in 3rd gear, 165 kmph top speed. When you consider that the kerb weight (of probably the base model) is just 860 kg, not much heavier than Santro, this car is going to take some beating on our roads. Likely to be almost as maneverable as the Santro, with greatly improved performance. Boy, am I looking forward to getting my hands on this car.

A comment on the tyres/wheels. I think Hyundai has done an intelligent job here, considering the state of most Indian roads. The recommended tyre pressures for the 155/80-13 (in the 1.1. lit model) are 33/35 psi when unloaded/fully loaded. Based on my experience with running 35 psi tyre pressures on Santro (with 155/70-13 tubeless tyres) I think the i10's specs will give better ride comfort because of the higher profile, and the highway performance will not be that bad either at 35 psi tyre pressure, with good FE and reasonable handling. Note that the i10 has a wider track than stock Santro; should be close to the track of my Santro with low-offset alloys, which does improve the stability of the car. I think I would be happier with slightly wider wheels than the stock 4B steel rims. Maybe I would tend to replace them with 4.5J alloys while retaining stock tubeless tyres at stock (or maybe 1-2 psi higher) pressures. Let us see if alloys are offered by Hyundai for the Kappa model.

Last edited by rks : 20th July 2008 at 15:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks