Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2008, 17:23   #76
BHPian

tech specs updated

HYUNDAI MOTOR INDIA - Hyundai i10
Old 15th July 2008, 17:28   #77
BHPian

Prices for the new variants to be uploaded shortly.

This is the message on the site.
Old 15th July 2008, 17:48   #78
Team-BHP Support

After a slew of 55-70 bhp tortoises in this segment, its good to see a "rabbit"!
and that too from Hyundai!
More power to the "people's car"
Now only if they gave santro's top end model this engine too!
Old 15th July 2008, 17:51   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Prices for the new variants to be uploaded shortly.

This is the message on the site.
From what is seen on the Economic Times link given, it looks like the top end version (Asta Automatic with sunroof/ABS/Airbags) will cost 5.43 lacs ex-showroom. This should translate to about 6 lacs on road in Bangy.
Old 15th July 2008, 18:00   #80
BHPian

Does this make maruti to go on coverup ? What about WagonR, Zen Estilo and upcoming Alto replacement A-Star ?

I think it is a nice move by Hundai. If they price it right, they have a winner and everyone will run for cover (including maruti, tata).
Old 15th July 2008, 18:16   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahadev_kc View Post
Does this make maruti to go on coverup ? What about WagonR, Zen Estilo and upcoming Alto replacement A-Star ?

I think it is a nice move by Hundai. If they price it right, they have a winner and everyone will run for cover (including maruti, tata).
I dont think any one will run for cover. Lets remember, in India price still is the most important factor and performance comes later. Only enthusiasts and dedicated hyundai followers will go for it. Ordinary commuter will still look upto Maruti & Tata for cheaper alternatives. And none of the models you mentioned fall in that price bracket.
Old 15th July 2008, 18:19   #82
Team-BHP Support

I agree Car-Agey.
1.1 and 1.2 would not matter to the masses. What will be important is the price and the fuel efficiency.
Old 15th July 2008, 18:23   #83
nbr
BHPian

Its sad that new i10 still comes with those skinny155/80 R13 tyres
Old 15th July 2008, 18:23   #84
Senior - BHPian

Wonderfull news! It would be too good to see Hyundai launched expected one with awasome features.

Auto comes in 3 trims also ABS/AirBAG, Simply good move, if they price it on road bangalore 6.5 lacs for top end Auto it would be excellant second car for City use!

All the best Hyundai!

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 15th July 2008, 19:00   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Exactly my thoughts.

Why do you say so? The article mentions the figures as

Oops, sorry, its 80PS i.e. approximately 78.8 bhp.

IMO, the performanac of the car is sure to give some sleepless nights to Suzuki and others.
Its a perfect size of engine for this car, and I hope that the sales of Hyundai Getz are not affected by this. I know that Getz is from different segment, but then still, buyers will prefer this car.

Unfortunately the tyres are not upgraded.

The complete article:
Quote:

Hyundai launches new i10 with 1.2L Kappa engine

CHENNAI: Hyundai Motor India Ltd on Tuesday rolled out the i10 powered by the all new 1.2-litre Kappa engine at its plant in Chennai. The in-line, four-cylinder, 1.2 litre engine while adding to the power will also deliver greater operational efficiency in terms of both fuel consumption and emissions, claimed the company in a press release here.
The launch of the new Kappa engine coincides with the inauguration of the engine and transmission plant at Sriperumbudur which will produce the brand new Kappa engine to be fitted first in the i10 meant both for the domestic and the export market. The new engine and transmission plant, which cost over $250 million, has a capacity of 250,000 units per annum.
Announcing the launch, H S Lheem, managing director, HMIL, said, ?Efficiencies in fuel consumption and environment are the prerogatives for any automobile manufacturer. And Hyundai, as a conscientious global corporate citizen, prioritises these with continuous innovation in technology and design. Our new Kappa engine is the best in class today, with more power, less fuel consumption and a lower CO2 and overall emissions. The current 1.1L engine has proved to be one of the very successful engines for Hyundai and it will continue to power both the Santro and the i10, but the new Kappa engine will significantly raise the bar in this segment and redefine the expectation from this class of cars.?
The aluminium block, first in its segment Double Overhead Cam Shaft (DOHC), 16 valve with 32 bit microprocessor Kappa engine delivers a class leading 80PS/5200rpm and 11.4Kgm/4000rpm torque which results in excellent driveability both in city as well as on the highway. The engine is Euro 5 ready and emits only 119g/km of CO2 which is the lowest for this class of cars, the company said.
The Kappa engine i10 will now be also with an automatic transmission. A four speed 4-speed, automatic gearbox is mated to this all new, powerful engine which will add to the convenience of city driving.
Developed over a period of 48 months at a cost of $421 million, the Kappa project harnessed all of Hyundai?s engineering know-how and will raise the bar in terms of power, performance, fuel efficiency and environment and uses some cutting edge technology like offset crank and light weight engine material to enhance performance.
The Kappa i10 will be launched in three variants the Magna, Sportz and the Asta with all top-end features like the sunroof, 2-Din audio system, a unique red pack for the Sportz interiors and some class leading safety features like anti-lock braking system (ABS) and dual airbags. The new kappa i10 will be sold along with the existing Epsilon 1.1 litre engine variant and will be available in a range of 10 colours.

The automatic is now also available in the 1.2. Screen shot from Hyundai website:
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i10 with 1.2 engine in two months EDIT: Now Launched-tbhphyundaii104.jpg  

Last edited by aaggoswami : 15th July 2008 at 19:05.
Old 15th July 2008, 19:13   #86
BHPian

Will the automatic version of the 1.2 engine be available under the 5 lac bracket?
Old 15th July 2008, 19:45   #87
BHPian

Looks like they have discontinued the 1.1 Magna, now i see magna in the 1.2 engine section only. Damn, they just killed the resale value of all who had bought a Magna 1.1 iRde
Old 15th July 2008, 19:56   #88
Senior - BHPian

Great news. I'm really looking forward to this car now!
Old 15th July 2008, 20:41   #89
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
After a slew of 55-70 bhp tortoises in this segment, its good to see a "rabbit"!
and that too from Hyundai!
More power to the "people's car"
Now only if they gave santro's top end model this engine too!
I wouldn't call any model of the Santro a tortoise. The car is light and already very quick for our roads.

The i10 has a wider track as compared to Santro Xing and is expected to be more stable at higher speeds. Note that only the top end models will get the 1.2 lit Kappa engine. These models would surely be heavier than Xing. The i10 also has a re-designed suspension (maybe Kappa has an even better suspension). If you put the 1.2 lit engine in the Santro Xing, the car would be unmanageably quick and could roll over unless driven with care. I think 160 kmph is about the limit for Santro and anything higher is risky for the car's stability.

I agree the i10 Kappa looks like a very exciting car. I will sure go for this car when I am ready to retire my old Santro. My main worry now is that by the time I get my hands on this car, speed limits would be enforced on the Mumbai-Pune route, including the Expressway.

Last edited by rks : 15th July 2008 at 20:44.
Old 15th July 2008, 21:24   #90
Senior - BHPian

"The aluminium block, first in its segment Double Overhead Cam Shaft (DOHC), 16 valve with 32 bit microprocessor Kappa engine delivers a class leading 80PS/5200rpm and 11.4Kgm/4000rpm torque which results in excellent driveability both in city as well as on the highway. The engine is Euro 5 ready and emits only 119g/km of CO2 which is the lowest for this class of cars, the company said."

80bhp in that thing!
Hyundai small cars flexs muscle!

Hope it comes with with tyres too.

And nice to see someone talk about CO2 emissions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks