Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2008, 14:22   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
May your dream come true as the new i20 is expected to replace Getz by year end. See the link below. I think they will just have one petrol i20 with 1.2 L Kappa and another one with CRDi.

Hyundai to launch i20 by the end of 2008 - Corporate News - livemint.com
Well. The article never says Getz will be replaced by i20. IMO, Hyundai will price i20 on the higher side and will retain Getz. Getz will compete with Swift and i20 will compete with Fabia and Fusion. And Getz1.2 [as suggested by lots of users in this forum] makes more sense. It can give good competition to Swift. Anyway, Lets not go OffTopic.

Regards!
Old 16th July 2008, 14:38   #122
BHPian

Interesting prices, but the price of the Asta model looks a bit fishy. Just adding the sunroof can't increase the price by 65k.

Amit.
Old 16th July 2008, 15:29   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_julian View Post
Interesting prices, but the price of the Asta model looks a bit fishy. Just adding the sunroof can't increase the price by 65k.

Amit.
ABS and Airbags can?!
Old 16th July 2008, 16:53   #124
BHPian

From the Hyundai i10 website it appears that the Asta model has ABS/airbags. You can opt for the sunroof as an add-on option.
Old 16th July 2008, 17:47   #125
BHPian

Woh! Hyundai is the way to go! Now with automatic transmission as well. Now, you must launch the CRDi version as well with automatic option.
Old 16th July 2008, 17:55   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Source - Hyundai’s new i10 kappa - a brief test drive at Straight Frm The Heart

Hyundai i10 has already smashed number of records and won 75000 hearts in a span of just 8 months. The epsilon engine (currently used in santro and ) is a proven and well known for its frugal nature (still lower variants of i10 will be powered by this engine). Then what is need for an another new engine. As you know, India is sole producer of i10 and Hyundai is exporting i10 to european countries from here. From this septemeber all the manufacturers have to adhere to the strigent Euro 5 emission norms. There comes the need for the new kappa engine. It emits 119g/km of CO2 and adhere to the Euro 5. But in Indian context, Hyundai wants to use this kappa engine to qualify the i10 to compete in a class above her. The kappa powered i10 will be pitted against Maruti Suzuki’s swift
We test driven the i10 sportz and i10 Asta Automatic at Hyundai’s test track and here are our first impressions.There is no difference in styling except for the 1.2L and kappa badge at the rear. Getting under the hood, Hyundai claims kappa is one of lightest engine and hence it has higher power to weight ratio in its class. The new 1.2L Kappa engine cranks out 20% more power (now 80PS at 5200rpm) and the torque is improved by massive 13% to 114Nm when compared to the proven epsilon engine. It offers good low end torque but the pickup is not that electric. However the kappa engine is more refined than the epsilon engine and vibrations are low. Even when you strain the engine it never roars it moans . We managed to push the i10 sportz (five speed manual) to 125kmph. She remains stable even at those high speeds but the high speed cornering may not be welcomable one in the i10. We have to blame the steering, though it is sharp and precise the response is not so good???. However the bite is excellent???. The four-channel ABS gives good reassurance and you are down to the road very quickly. Coming to the i10 Asta Automatic, put the lever in D-mode and just press the accelerator pedal, the 4-speed auto box takes care of everything. i10 automatic offers a relaxed ride till 80kmph where it dips a little bit and immediately comes to life again. We hit a top whack of 110kmph with the i10 Asta Automatic
The best gets better! ya, you will tell the same once you get inside the new i10 sportz. The sportz variant i10 gets a new interior. The new red fabric blends perfectly with the beige and further enhances the look. Here are detailed prices of the new variants
Overall with the introduction of kappa engine Hyundai has moved the i10 excitement to a new level. Hyundai claims the mileage of new i10 kappa would be 4-5% more than epsilon engined i10. Though only our complete test drive will reveal all the fine details. We are convinced if you want a comfortable, hassle free ride, i10 Asta Automatic would be the perfect fit for the Indian traffic conditions
The article is hilarious! Seems as if its written by a teenager still trying his hands at writing and knows nothing about a car. It not even enjoyable to read.
Old 16th July 2008, 18:29   #127
BHPian

It's a shame that the UK spec i10 is much nicer than the Indian spec one. Considering they are both right hand drive, why can't they make the same good model for the IDM too? The UK spec has alloy wheels, 14 or 15 inch wheels and many other goodies (engine immobiliser, adjustable front head rests, side airbags) not available in the Indian model. For shame!
Old 16th July 2008, 20:34   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron View Post
It's a shame that the UK spec i10 is much nicer than the Indian spec one. Considering they are both right hand drive, why can't they make the same good model for the IDM too? The UK spec has alloy wheels, 14 or 15 inch wheels and many other goodies (engine immobiliser, adjustable front head rests, side airbags) not available in the Indian model.
Its true for almost every manufacturer. Suzuki also offers six airbags in Siwft, but that is not the case. And if they offer these features like side airbags, the cost would also go up.

It has mostly to do with taxation and maturity of Indian buyers.

Does any T-bhpian had test drive of Hyundia i10 Kappa ?
It would be interesting to have a test drive report.
Old 16th July 2008, 21:40   #129
BHPian

Seems like there is no Alloy Wheel in any of the Kappa models...
Old 16th July 2008, 21:54   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Its true for almost every manufacturer. Suzuki also offers six airbags in Siwft, but that is not the case. And if they offer these features like side airbags, the cost would also go up.

It has mostly to do with taxation and maturity of Indian buyers.

Does any T-bhpian had test drive of Hyundia i10 Kappa ?
It would be interesting to have a test drive report.
The deal with Suzuki is that the UK Suzuki is not made in India. But the Hyundai i10 is made exclusively in India for the world market. So, they have two assembly lines in Chennai even for the RHD cars - the good one for UK (and possibly Australia) market and the bad one for Indian market. That's why I'm more critical of the i10 even compared to other Hyundai cars.
Old 16th July 2008, 22:15   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's a shame that the UK spec i10 is much nicer than the Indian spec one. Considering they are both right hand drive, why can't they make the same good model for the IDM too? The UK spec has alloy wheels, 14 or 15 inch wheels and many other goodies (engine immobiliser, adjustable front head rests, side airbags) not available in the Indian model. For shame!
Agree at least these things could have been offered as options! Is it true there is no immobiliser? Isnt that a very essential security feature these days???
Old 17th July 2008, 07:45   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
People would whine about the poor fuel efficiency in that case. Majority do not know anything about tires, those who care will upgrade to better-than-OEM rubber anyway...
Why cannot they give factory-fitted wide tyres like Swift Zxi? If I buy i10 1.2L, I am looking for performance and not fuel efficiency. Factory-fitted wide tyres will save money and time of upgrading.
Old 17th July 2008, 13:02   #133
BHPian

Quote:
The deal with Suzuki is that the UK Suzuki is not made in India. But the Hyundai i10 is made exclusively in India for the world market. So, they have two assembly lines in Chennai even for the RHD cars - the good one for UK (and possibly Australia) market and the bad one for Indian market. That's why I'm more critical of the i10 even compared to other Hyundai cars.
Oh Tron. this is a completely wrong statement. There is no separate line for the Indian operation & for export production. I have been to their factory recently and I have seen the cars been made in the same line. They encourage a lot of visitors to visit their factory nowadays especially if you are a corporate employee.
One aspect you need to take into record is the type of taxes which are applicable in India and UK are different. We Indians pay more taxes while buying the car than in UK and hence the on road prices are much higher here. Now after adding alloy wheels, the prices go int a another segment altogether. and most of us have budget constraints. For the lucky ones who have a lot of money, accessories can always be fitted at an additional cost. Isn't it?
I would recommend every team bhp-ian to visit the factory in Chennai. Seeing is believing
After visiting the factory, I have seen that many of us make comments here only based on rumors and biased perceptions.
Cheers
Old 17th July 2008, 13:24   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimi View Post
Oh Tron. this is a completely wrong statement. There is no separate line for the Indian operation & for export production. I have been to their factory recently and I have seen the cars been made in the same line. They encourage a lot of visitors to visit their factory nowadays especially if you are a corporate employee.
One aspect you need to take into record is the type of taxes which are applicable in India and UK are different. We Indians pay more taxes while buying the car than in UK and hence the on road prices are much higher here. Now after adding alloy wheels, the prices go int a another segment altogether. and most of us have budget constraints. For the lucky ones who have a lot of money, accessories can always be fitted at an additional cost. Isn't it?
I would recommend every team bhp-ian to visit the factory in Chennai. Seeing is believing
After visiting the factory, I have seen that many of us make comments here only based on rumors and biased perceptions.
Cheers
Thats a sweeping statement. Can you tell me what all taxes are levied on cars manufactured in India? I dont think they are too much.
Old 17th July 2008, 13:26   #135
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Bimi that we have a different tax culture, but then IMO, the manufacturers should provide other features like side airbags as an option.
More over, the availability of ABS should not be restricted with high end models. The lower end models should also have option of ABS. This is where the mafucaturers fall back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks