Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What Fuel Type do you use on your Indian Vehicle "Normal OR Premium"
Normal Petrol 227 60.05%
Premium Petrol 76 20.11%
Normal Diesel 120 31.75%
Premium Diesel 23 6.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2008, 15:23   #31
BHPian

Normal Diesel for my Magnum LS, Speed Petrol for my Swift Zxi.

Have felt better responsiveness in my Swift with the Speed. Even the lielage was a shade better.
Old 2nd June 2008, 17:38   #32
BHPian

Hey all,

I use normal diesel from IOC for my Verna.

Regards,
Sajan
Old 2nd June 2008, 17:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

Always used normal petrol in my zen and normal diesel in safari as i never felt a difference in mileage

now the bad news my fav gas station in my hometown Rohtak has stopped selling normal fuels.

only premium fuels or i need to look for other gas stations.
Old 2nd June 2008, 21:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
How exactly does one do that? You never find out until your fuel system is messed up.
I have been filling up at the HP petrol pump at Bandra for over 15 years now, I trust they are "pure for sure" but how does a lay man find out?
Can a customer ask for some kind of purity test to be done?
Couple of ways actually. COCO pumps (Company owned company operated) are always a better bet. You could check each pumps reputation from local word of mouth. There's also a thread right here on good petrol pumps. Next, trial and error works (if you pay attention to the engine). If you have the time or inclination, a purity test is possible too.

I fill my cars on the IOC right across the Siddhivinayak Temple. Superb quality fuel.
Old 2nd June 2008, 21:37   #35
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Normal Petrol & Diesel for all my cars; premium fuels are a marketing gimmick and don't really offer any benefits. In fact, many manufacturers have actually taken the pain of recommending ONLY regular fuel for their cars. *Pure* regular fuel is as good / better than premium....the key is to find a pump that sells unadulterated fuel.
I still am very satisfied with IOC premium diesel till the posts started that DICOR fuel pumps can malfunction with premium diesel. Now smoothness of premium I do not want if it damages the fuel pump and the injectors.

The fact is that some manufacturers definitely insist upon that normal diesel should be used for common rail engine as no one knows what additive is being used in the premium fuels and no oil company discloses the ingridients either and no long terms tests have been done on the pumps premium diesel.

The key is definitely finding a "pure" pump, as impurities like water [and impurities are mostly common in normal diesel] will damage the injectors much more. Thats why we have a water separator in Dicor and other diesel cars in India.

Another issue is the presence of sulphur.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ur-diesel.html

The question is whether the middle ground is achieved by using normal diesel and or product like STP/System D/Elf DALF.

After a mix of normal diesel with say System D, how is this final diesel mixture different from that of a premium diesel like IOC Xtrapremium. Why is that no auto manufacterer are not that vocal against, i.e., they have no problem with STP diesel treatment or System D - however they are dead against any premium diesel being sold from the pumps.
Old 2nd June 2008, 22:07   #36
rks
BANNED

I have been using Speed 97 for the last 15000 kms or so in my old Santro. I switched because of my extreme frustration with poor quality fuel sold at varioius bunks in Pune/Mumbai. Since I drive every week on the Pune-Mumbai route, I can easily detect the drop in performance. At certain stretches, the car's speed drops by as much as 20 kmph when bad fuel is used (I have no other explanation for this drop), and the pickup is also bad. On one occasion, the car started to jerk and stall when accelerated hard beyond 60 kmph. Luckily I was able to keep the speed low and reach Mumbai. This was the last straw, and I switched to Speed 97 after that. Now the performance of the car is consistent and marginally, but noticeably, better than before.

My preferred bunks are all company operated:

1. The BP bunk at the Expressway toll gate (Pune side).
2. At Pune, the BP bunk near RTO (Sangam Nagar bridge).
3. In Mumbai, the BP bunk in Bandra-Kurla complex.

All these bunks are good and I get consistent peformance when filling up here. Haven't worked up the guts to try normal Speed at these bunks (as my car is now used to Speed 97), but will have to switch back sooner or later as Speed 97 may not always be available, e.g. when I am driving on other long distance routes.
Old 3rd June 2008, 03:06   #37
BHPian

I use the normal petrol for my crv
but i do get a small difference on the mileage when pre fuel is used

Mods note: Use punctuation properly. Use upper case to start a sentence.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd June 2008 at 07:59.
Old 3rd June 2008, 09:33   #38
Senior - BHPian

Without getting into a debate here but also having read through the petroleum ministries "India fuel Policy" which defines the BS norms let me put forward the facts here.

The only decrease I found in BSIV over BSIII for diesel fuel was in the Sulphur content.

There is absolutely no change in the lubricity of the diesel. (Lubricity corrected wear scar diameter (WSD 1.4) at 60oC, microns, Max stands at 460 as per ISO 12516-1). @Adc, this addresses your concern.

For unleaded regular petrol RON/MON is 91/81 and for unleaded premium petrol is 95/85. The olefin content goes down to 18 from 21 max and rest all is the same under BSIII specifications.

The fuel policy states that " These standard specifications have been finalised by the expert commitee after discussions with the automobile and oil industry."

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I still am very satisfied with IOC premium diesel till the posts started that DICOR fuel pumps can malfunction with premium diesel. Now smoothness of premium I do not want if it damages the fuel pump and the injectors.

The fact is that some manufacturers definitely insist upon that normal diesel should be used for common rail engine as no one knows what additive is being used in the premium fuels and no oil company discloses the ingridients either and no long terms tests have been done on the pumps premium diesel.

After a mix of normal diesel with say System D, how is this final diesel mixture different from that of a premium diesel like IOC Xtrapremium. Why is that no auto manufacterer are not that vocal against, i.e., they have no problem with STP diesel treatment or System D - however they are dead against any premium diesel being sold from the pumps.

Last edited by dadu : 3rd June 2008 at 09:34.
Old 3rd June 2008, 13:01   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Normal Petrol & Diesel for all my cars; premium fuels are a marketing gimmick and don't really offer any benefits. In fact, many manufacturers have actually taken the pain of recommending ONLY regular fuel for their cars. *Pure* regular fuel is as good / better than premium....the key is to find a pump that sells unadulterated fuel.

High Octane fuel is advantageous for high compression engines; however, I can't think of too many Indian cars that fit in this category.
I personally feel all these power, speed etc are just marketing gimmics nd the increased 'power, mileage' etc that users get with these fuels are just imagination. I use only regular fuels in all my cars.
Old 3rd June 2008, 13:11   #40
BHPian

Since the day one it has been Xtramile Diesel for my Swift Diesel & now it has done 20,000 kms in the last one year. No problems what so ever.
Old 3rd June 2008, 13:34   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have been using Speed 97 for the last 15000 kms or so in my old Santro.
Rks, what you felt is similar to the MHP phenomenon i.e. Mental Horse Power. Speed97 would offer absolutely no benefits to the Santro's engine, since it is not a high compression unit. On the Mercedes E280, maybe. But definitely not on the Santro.
Old 16th December 2008, 20:21   #42
BHPian

Any idea what's recommended for SX4? Extra premium or normal?
Old 16th December 2008, 21:05   #43
Senior - BHPian

Normal petrol for my car. I never used premium any time. My car's performance and FE does not improve on using Premium. Then, why use premium fuel?
Old 16th December 2008, 21:14   #44
Senior - BHPian

I was using Premium Petrol since the time they were introduced. But for last two years, I have shifted to Normal after getting recommendations from Honda Engineers, various forums/websites.
Old 16th December 2008, 21:40   #45
BHPian

I use normal petrol but I know people who use premium one in their swift/zen as they feel that premium branded fuel provides better quality in terms of adulteration, etc.

But my doubt is if a petrol pump can do such thing for normal fuel why would not they adulterate the premium one as well?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks