Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What Fuel Type do you use on your Indian Vehicle "Normal OR Premium"
Normal Petrol 227 60.05%
Premium Petrol 76 20.11%
Normal Diesel 120 31.75%
Premium Diesel 23 6.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2008, 21:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

Normal petrol in my Civic.
Old 16th December 2008, 22:07   #47
BHPian

HP Power for my Getz
Old 16th December 2008, 22:09   #48
abk
BHPian

1 tank full of Premium / higher octane petrol for every 3-4 tank full of normal petrol
Old 16th December 2008, 22:47   #49
BHPian

Normal petrol for my M800 5sp. To be frank though I have extensively used both and not found much discernible difference.

I do try to fill up premium whenever I am out of city limits, if it is available. My guess is that it could be less prone to adulteration, but one really doesnt know. Any experience sharing on this issue would be welcome.
Old 20th December 2008, 19:29   #50
BHPian

Shell Super for my New Fiesta 1.6 SXI :-)
Old 21st December 2008, 00:38   #51
BHPian

Normal petrol for my fiesta 1.6 along with system G as recommended by Ford.

Ford is very particular in discouraging premium fuels. I was told by the salesman to use only normal fuel at the time of delivery. I was again told this by at least two service engineers at their workshops.
Old 21st December 2008, 09:25   #52
BHPian

normal IOC diesel for my Vista Quadrajet. the manual specifically forbids any additives.
Old 21st December 2008, 11:14   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuch View Post
Normal petrol for my fiesta 1.6 along with system G as recommended by Ford.

Ford is very particular in discouraging premium fuels. I was told by the salesman to use only normal fuel at the time of delivery. I was again told this by at least two service engineers at their workshops.
Any Specific Theory behind this Zuch ?

Am seeing the car giving better response with Shell Super than the IOC Premium.
Old 21st December 2008, 12:32   #54
Senior - BHPian

Let me share my experience here. Ever since I bought my Esteem in 2003 I have been using BP Speed and nothing else. However, with raising oil prices a few months back and whatever I gathered from TBHP-ians, I thought I would try normal unleaded.

I have been filling in normal BP unleaded petrol for the last two weeks and guess what !!! My fuel economy has improved. My car used to return a fuel average of around 11 - 12 earlier with BP Speed in city driving (with A/C on all the time). Now I have been noticing that the fuel average is about 12 - 14 with normal unleaded. Also,there has been no significant difference observed after switching to normal fuel. Why would I want to go in for premium fuels again ?

I had a similar experience in the US with my Honda Civic whose fuel economy dropped drastically when I switched to the highest grade of premium fuel available.
Old 21st December 2008, 13:10   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

It has been IOC Xtrapremium for my Alto since day one. In between I switched pumps and found IOC XP to be delivering better FE than BP Speed. So, I have stayed with IOC for about 3 years now. But, after hearing so much about the premiums over here, I will try the normal for the next few tankfulls to see if there is any marked difference.
Old 21st December 2008, 13:34   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskumar View Post
Any Specific Theory behind this Zuch ?

Am seeing the car giving better response with Shell Super than the IOC Premium.
I can't say about shell since we don't have that option in Delhi. You are probably getting better response because the fuel you are using is less adulterated or maybe it's psychological.

A lot of people on this forum believe that premium fuels are marketing gimmicks. Also they might or might not help depending on what car you have.

My car's manual clearly states that use regular fuel with System G. So I'd rather trust the manufacturing company to know what is best for the car.
Old 22nd December 2008, 11:26   #57
Senior - BHPian

i am using shell from past 2 months, earlier i used BP speed but once my car started missing around 3000rpm so changed to shell ...... car is palio 1.6 btw
Old 13th September 2010, 15:49   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been using Shell Super for most of the last year and have no complaints- it gives me a smooth and fuel efficient drive. I get about 14 kmpl with my Swift Vxi in a combination of city and highway driving.

I saw GTO's posts expressing skepticism that the "premium" fuels actually improve performance and switched to Club HP regular (Shell regular costs just 1/- less than their Super and I somehow think it's overpriced) Take care to fill in the right places- actually I have no idea what that means, except from these outlets not pulling the oh-so-obvious "zero" scam. After some trial and error, have settled on any of the se pumps: at Hinjewadi near Mezza9, Sai petrol pump just before the e-way starts and the one near Coffee Day on the e-way.
I now get about 13 kmpl (1 kmpl less than with Shell Super) but that's still decent so I go with it. Occasionally I miss the Shell guys and go to them for a Super top-up!
Old 13th September 2010, 15:58   #59
Senior - BHPian

I am a regular user of Shell Super Unleaded for the past four years for both bike and car. In fact my car went for a tankful of shell super straight from the showroom - after making use of the 5 lite IOC coupon given by the dealer, of course! It has never sipped any other fuel, apart from Speed petrol which I fill whenever I visit Pondy.
Old 13th September 2010, 18:11   #60
Senior - BHPian

Premium fuel in my experience without any higher octane ratings is wasting money IMHO. I have never seen any difference in my cars whenever I have used premium fuel. Whatever additives they claim to add does not work at least for me. So I prefer to save the 2 Rupee premium over normal fuel. I have heard stories of smoother rides and better response etc. but I am yet to experience any of these.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks