Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What Fuel Type do you use on your Indian Vehicle "Normal OR Premium"
Normal Petrol 227 60.05%
Premium Petrol 76 20.11%
Normal Diesel 120 31.75%
Premium Diesel 23 6.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2010, 18:16   #61
J.Ravi

I am glad to see that another old thread is revived today after about two years.

I voted for normal petrol as I fill my Fiat Linea with normal petrol only as it is recommended by Fiat Linea owner's handbook.

Old 13th September 2010, 18:46   #62
BHPian

I fill my Honda Civic and NHC with normal petrol, becuase I never really felt that much benefit by using premium fuels.
Also the manufacturer recommends using normal petrol.
Same for my Innova, normal diesel, again because that's what we were told when we bought the car.
Old 13th September 2010, 18:52   #63
Senior - BHPian

I always fill normal petrol in my Dzire & Pulsar. I tried Premium petrol but never find any difference in mileage or performance of my Pulsar. Also difference between normal & premium is not justified by companies. Many petrol pumps force people to buy premium saying normal is not available. Its looting people unnecessarily. I always avoid this. Many of my friends also noticed no difference in performance in normal & premium, so shifted to normal again
Old 13th September 2010, 19:09   #64
BHPian

I also fill all my vehicles with normal petrol and diesel, no benefit of filling premium, the other point I am worried about is (I may be completly wrong here), all the companies use different additives in their premium fuels, Means, the premium petrol i fill from HPCL, will differ from the premium petrol i fill from BPCL outlet.

Secondly, I always prefer to fill from HPCL outlet only, the vehicle gives better mileage then any other outlet, is it just me or other people have also experienced something like this.
Old 13th September 2010, 19:17   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 cruiser View Post

Secondly, I always prefer to fill from HPCL outlet only, the vehicle gives better mileage then any other outlet, is it just me or other people have also experienced something like this.
No I have not experienced any change in mileage by changing petrol pumps. The change that you must be noticing may be due to lesser fuel being filled at other petrol bunks. HPCL and BPCL are far more reliable in Navi Mumbai at least and I always feel that Indian Oil bunks always fill lesser fuel as compared to others here.
Old 13th September 2010, 19:25   #66
Senior - BHPian

I too use normal diesel from HP. I wonder if anyone in India uses the premium disels at all; because almost all the user manuals strictly suggest normal diesel! But I still see about 10% of the votes for premium diesel
Old 13th September 2010, 19:43   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
No I have not experienced any change in mileage by changing petrol pumps. The change that you must be noticing may be due to lesser fuel being filled at other petrol bunks. HPCL and BPCL are far more reliable in Navi Mumbai at least and I always feel that Indian Oil bunks always fill lesser fuel as compared to others here.
Am just back from a 1400km drive in my SWIFT.It did 18.03 KMPL with the ordinary BPCL Diesel filled at Pondicherry-This was mostly in the Chennai-Kanyakumari highways barring a few kms from Pondy and speed range was from 60KMPH to 150KMPH with 5 adults on board.Did 17.01 with the IOCL Xtramile filled at Madurai (company owned outlet) through twisting SH208 to Thenkasi/Courtallam with speed ranging from 30KMPH and 100KMPH.Its now 19+ with the ordinary diesel filled at BPCL Madurai and it was a 424KMS of rain washed drive with speeds ranging from 40KMPH to 165KPH (the only dry stretch to make up for the lost time)

The best pick up in my SWIFT comes from SPEED Diesel from BPCL
The best performance+ 1added KMPL of mileage comes from HP Power petrol in my Unicorn (Speed range of 70KMPH to 120KMPH in the highways) and seems best for 200KM non-stop rides
The best mileage in my 800 (Carb version)comes from Shell Super and its always 22KMPL-23KMPL in the highways with a speed range of 80KMPH to 110KMPH in the highways and not less than 19KMPL in the city traffic with rolled down shutters.

None of these vehicles have a fuel average calculator built in and hence the old school tankful to tankful calculation done with a fuel log book.

Intersting Observation: Castrol Synthetic Engine oil in the Unicorn increased the fuel average by 2KMPL with the same carb tuning and stock air filter.

All averages were on DASYP-Drive As You Please mode.

To bridge the gap on fuel bills and cleaner engines, I fill in the PREMIUM fuels whenever the vehicle does a 500KM+ stretch, simply believing that the ADDITIVES, as promised by the fuel companies, clean up the engine when the engine revvs are on the outliers.

Astonishing Fact:The steady 40KMPH mode yielded 72KMPL in my Bajaj Classic, when K4 100 reviews where doing their rounds in Auto India in 1998. I guess fuel cost was Rs.26.50 per liter with 25ml oil mixed to the scooter's petrol. Mine was the highest mileage record at the Bajaj Service Center which promised 55KMPL on the new Bajaj Classic then.
Old 13th September 2010, 19:45   #68
BHPian

My vote goes for Normal Diesel

Folks

My ride's brew is Shell Normal Diesel period.

The difference is significant. But I am not sure how long can I afford this for my ride
Old 14th September 2010, 18:39   #69
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEHU View Post
The best pick up in my SWIFT comes from SPEED Diesel from BPCL
I can assure you that the difference you are feeling is MHP, not BHP. The premium diesel is basically regular diesel with some cleaning additives. They do NOTHING to improve your power delivery. Of course, their flamboyant ads would have you believe otherwise.

My earlier stand stays : Pure regular fuel, whether diesel of petrol, is the best.

P.S. MHP = Mental Horse Power
Old 15th September 2010, 12:05   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEHU View Post
Am just back from a 1400km drive in my SWIFT.It did 18.03 KMPL with the ordinary BPCL Diesel filled at Pondicherry-This was mostly in the Chennai-Kanyakumari highways barring a few kms from Pondy and speed range was from 60KMPH to 150KMPH with 5 adults on board.Did 17.01 with the IOCL Xtramile filled at Madurai (company owned outlet) through twisting SH208 to Thenkasi/Courtallam with speed ranging from 30KMPH and 100KMPH.Its now 19+ with the ordinary diesel filled at BPCL Madurai and it was a 424KMS of rain washed drive with speeds ranging from 40KMPH to 165KPH (the only dry stretch to make up for the lost time)
perhaps but should you be doing 165 with a fully loaded car in a Swift? Please drive safely.
Old 15th September 2010, 17:00   #71
BHPian

Hello Guys,

Just wanted to share something regarding branded fuel.

We recently purchased a Merc 200CGI. When inquired about the type of fuel to be used the dealer advised us to use normal petrol and said branded fuel is not required.

Same thing was advised by Skoda when my friend purchased the Laura 1.8 TSi. Normal fuel is all that is needed.

Is this because our normal petrol is now 91 RON?
Old 20th September 2010, 17:17   #72
Senior - BHPian

Both normal and premium petrol of all brands are 91 RON only - with the exception of Speed 97. I use Shell Super Unleaded, which is the same as their normal petrol, with some engine cleaning additives blended to it. Ditto with their Diesel as well.

When I bought the Alto, I too enquired with the showroom guy whether to use normal or premium petrol. His reply too was normal petrol is enough, no need to fill premium petrol. But he said premium petrol will not be harmful, as some people seem to think - merely that it is not required.

But I feel it is not merely MHP as GTO observes! There is no increase in power, but when I fill shell super and shell normal alternatively in my bike, there is a noticeable difference in smoothness and mileage. I get at least 2 KMPL more with the shell super. I had repeatedly tested this and settled for shell super long before I bought the car. So my Alto has only once tasted 5 litres of IOC normal petrol, which was filled with the coupon given to me at the time of delivery! Thereafter it has only been Shell super till date.

At the Shell pump most people specifically ask for super unleaded, even when normal petrol is available.

BTW, how to interpret the poll at the top? The percentages do not seem to add up! Is it 100% each for petrol and diesel, or all four should add up to 100%?

Last edited by Gansan : 20th September 2010 at 17:31.
Old 20th September 2010, 18:41   #73
Senior - BHPian

Was using premium when this poll was started but have now switched to regular. Premium fuel didn't make any diff to the performance or FE of my car.

Shan2nu
Old 20th September 2010, 19:13   #74
Senior - BHPian

Normal petrol and Diesel. Never believed in all the crap the companies dish out. It's just hogwash.
Old 20th September 2010, 20:16   #75
BHPian

Now I see this Thread, Ok so My views on this subject are as follows, Like someone has already pointed out All fuels Are 91 Ron except Speed 97 from BPCL which is a 97 octane fuel for cars with higher compression ratios. Mostly all Diesel car manufacturers and preminum segment diesel car manufacturers recomend Normal Diesel. When Xtra premium was launched It was being advertised as a Value added product by IOC claiming High mileage etc then someone filed a PIL disputing the claim of the co. and IOC was asked for a Reply in which they Put Forth Test results from a Singapore Based Co. claiming what they advertised however On conducting tests at ARAI Pune they didnt come across any marginal Differences hence now Its not marketed as a Value Added Product but its A Brand of fuel, Unfortunately I havent come across any link or article to sustantiate this , hence this IS what i have heard from a Fellow Dealer.

Its Basically more Psychological then anything else, However I feel to each his own after all at the end of the day its the Customer who pays for it willingly, and if he/she is happy by paying a premium good going is what i say.

Another thing i hear a Lot is BPCL fuel is better then IOC and IOC is beter than IBP and HPCL is better then IOCl . Just to clear the Air Gents All The OIl co. get there Supplies from the same Refineries so its bascially the same stuff in different packing .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks