Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What Fuel Type do you use on your Indian Vehicle "Normal OR Premium"
Normal Petrol 227 60.05%
Premium Petrol 76 20.11%
Normal Diesel 120 31.75%
Premium Diesel 23 6.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2010, 20:34   #76
BHPian

I prefer using normal petrol for my alto as its not possible to get the premium fuels every where and if I have normal fuel already in the tank and add Premium fuel to it there was no change in mileage so going for normal fuel from then on.
Old 20th September 2010, 21:03   #77
Senior - BHPian

I beg to differ, because if the octane number is higher the performance could definitely be improved by increasing the compression ratio without any detonation or knocking. True, this depends on manufacturer's design of the engine, the combustion zone and the combustion control through ECM.

But for normal first or second gen cars in India, the difference may not be decisively evident.

I have tried both normal and premium petrol for my Alto, where as for the Swift I have filled premium except on my trips to interior parts where premium would not be available.

For Alto, true no advantageously higher difference was noticable but I have definitely noticed a difference when the normal and premium are mixed almost at 1:1.
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:23   #78
BHPian

Selling same octane fuel and branding it as "Premium" is total hogwash. Paying a premium for only additives is not value for money. Outside India Premium fuel means higher octane fuel which is usually 98 RON and is 10-15 cents higher than the normal fuel. I think oil companies here are ripping off the customers.
Old 23rd September 2010, 09:51   #79
BANNED

I used Premium Petrol till April. Once E-III/IV came in I switched to Normal, with System G addition once is 3-4 fills on my Santro. Honda only recommends Normal. Earlier it was because of lower Octane in E-II cities.
Old 23rd September 2010, 13:24   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I used Premium Petrol till April. Once E-III/IV came in I switched to Normal, with System G addition once is 3-4 fills on my Santro. Honda only recommends Normal. Earlier it was because of lower Octane in E-II cities.
>>>sg,

What is System G? What is the connexion between introduction of Euro III/IV and your shift from premium to normal petrol?

I use normal diesel. Used premium diesel initially; have found no tangible difference in fuel consumption, acceleration or engine smoothness.

Regards
issigonis
Old 23rd September 2010, 13:30   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>sg,

What is System G? What is the connexion between introduction of Euro III/IV and your shift from premium to normal petrol?

I use normal diesel. Used premium diesel initially; have found no tangible difference in fuel consumption, acceleration or engine smoothness.

Regards
issigonis
Sir premium fuel could be harmful for your Jetta. The additives used in premium diesels do NOT help modern diesel engines at all, and can be harmful for them, causing more black smoke etc. The additives were beneficial to old diesel engines before common rail engines came into production.

On the other hand for petrols, the premium fuels can help if used occasionally.
Old 23rd September 2010, 13:53   #82
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
System G (and D for diesels) are popular fuel additives to prevent gumming. Used at 1ml/litre.

With Euro-II the petrol was 88RON so when I was in E-II cities my car did not get the same as E-III (91RON). Now both E-III/IV are 91RON.

Premium was E-II Premium ie 93RON. I think they still have the same RON and have not introduced EIII/EIV Premium which must be 95 RON! See, IOC advertising switched to additives from the high octane after EIII.
Old 23rd September 2010, 14:04   #83
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

normal diesel is more than enough for my Scorpio. I dont see the justification of spending extra on Premium Diesel.

have been advised by some of the chaps at Mahindra Service to use Sytem D. I have been using it for 4-5 months now but frankly cannot tell if there is any difference at all.

i am careful to fill up only in particular filling stations, on account of their quality of fuel -largely HP Bunks.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 23rd September 2010 at 14:05.
Old 23rd September 2010, 14:16   #84
BANNED

@shankar.balan: Easy to check out. Do not use the additive for a couple of months. Then add it to the fuel the next time round. If the injectors etc. were gummed up then you should feel a real difference within about 30-50km!
Old 23rd September 2010, 15:02   #85
Senior - BHPian

Regular Diesel + system D and swear by it. The difference system D makes is very obvious
Old 23rd September 2010, 16:05   #86
BHPian

My brother is using "Speed" in his 2001 Honda City VTEC & regular unleaded petrol in his 2002 Maruti Zen.
But he says that, whenever the car is to be given for servicing; I always use Premium 95 octane petrol.
Old 23rd September 2010, 16:16   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
I always use Premium 95 octane petrol.
Where do you get that? Oil PSUs I think are still on 93RON! 95RON is proper BS4/E4 (and 3) Premium.
Old 23rd September 2010, 16:25   #88

I use the premium petrol from IOC or HP, it returns good pickup and low speed torque/performance.
Old 23rd September 2010, 18:17   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Where do you get that? Oil PSUs I think are still on 93RON! 95RON is proper BS4/E4 (and 3) Premium.
95 octane is available in Metros, is it not?
Old 23rd September 2010, 18:24   #90
BHPian

When will oil companies start displaying the actual octane rating of the fuel they are selling. It is so confusing. I couldnt even find information about it on their website.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks