Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What Fuel Type do you use on your Indian Vehicle "Normal OR Premium"
Normal Petrol 227 60.05%
Premium Petrol 76 20.11%
Normal Diesel 120 31.75%
Premium Diesel 23 6.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2010, 12:42   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I can assure you that the difference you are feeling is MHP, not BHP. The premium diesel is basically regular diesel with some cleaning additives. They do NOTHING to improve your power delivery. Of course, their flamboyant ads would have you believe otherwise.

My earlier stand stays : Pure regular fuel, whether diesel of petrol, is the best.

P.S. MHP = Mental Horse Power
GTO, my cousin has a SWIFT vdi. Both have clocked an almost identical 33k Kms. My cousin's VDI runs on normal diesel since he took it from the showroom,but I've run it mostly on SPEED. There is a soot deposit in his exhaust pipe, whereas mine has a minimal deposit. Mileagewise mine has a slight edge of about .5kms though I drive extremes. Both of us have felt that my car is vibe free when we floor the pedal from 120kmph-160kmph whereas in the VDI, we can feel the vibes in that range.Both are on Mobil Delvac engine oil and serviced regularly.

May I guess that there are some additives in the premium fuel which reduce friction which in turn aids in a smooth, vibe free run. I certainly dont rule out the mental perception that comes riding here, but then these facts cant be overruled either
Old 24th September 2010, 19:41   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
95 octane is available in Metros, is it not?
No its not Available. 91 Octane & 97 Octane, and thats only available at BPCL.

Last edited by Born 2 Be Wild : 24th September 2010 at 19:42.
Old 24th September 2010, 20:00   #93
ajai_dev

I used to put premium diesel in Accent VIVA CRDi but then due to fule pump started acting up the A.S.S. told me to use normal diesel and not the premium one out of confusion i asked "Why?" they told me that the CRDi unit was configured to use only normal diesel an not the premium stuff.

BTW My friend has a Pumpe-Duse Skoda and uses premium diesel every single time calls me a "kanjuice" because i use normal diesel :P

Old 24th September 2010, 20:14   #94
BHPian

I use Normal diesel for my vista. no premium stuff for my car.
For my RE TBTS I refuel it every time with Rs. 500 with regular petrol but once a month I fill it with premium fuel to clean the cobwebs in my head maybe.
After that I dont know about the bike but i feel good.
Old 24th December 2010, 12:42   #95
BHPian

Premium vs regular petrol

Hi all. I would like to have a expert advise on which petrol to use for my 1.2L Hyundai i 20 Magna?

Through my various readings , I understand that the issues are :

1. Is Premium petrol( High octane "speed" or"xtra premium" ) advisable for a car with a 1.2L engine .( I remember reading somewhere that it is a must for 1.6L and above)

2. The car dealer did not recommend premium petrol because addition of friction busters in this petrol varies from company to company even from pump to pump

3. I read in TOI a few months back that there is a ongoing racket about mixing kerosine or other adulterant in petrol ? Is this more for premium variety

4. Do I need to stick on to only one pump if I use the premium variety

5. Is there any real benefit in milage ( Iccurently get 9.7-10 on "XTRA PREMIUM"

Thanks in advance,

Saaicon

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th December 2010 at 12:58. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks
Old 24th December 2010, 13:05   #96
Team-BHP Support

Re: Premium vs regular petrol

It really does not matter coz all the petrol is 91 Ron or above.

1) You can use regular petrol, high octane is needed for high compression engine and not based on engine capacity.

4) Ideally yes find a good, reliable pump and stick to it.

5) I really have not seen a difference in FE between regular and premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaicon View Post
1. Is Premium petrol( High octane "speed" or"xtra premium" ) advisable for a car with a 1.2L engine .( I remember reading somewhere that it is a must for 1.6L and above)

2. The car dealer did not recommend premium petrol because addition of friction busters in this petrol varies from company to company even from pump to pump

3. I read in TOI a few months back that there is a ongoing racket about mixing kerosine or other adulterant in petrol ? Is this more for premium variety

5. Is there any real benefit in milage ( Iccurently get 9.7-10 on "XTRA PREMIUM"
Old 24th December 2010, 13:34   #97
Senior - BHPian

Re: Premium vs regular petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaicon View Post
Hi all. I would like to have a expert advise on which petrol to use for my 1.2L Hyundai i 20 Magna?

Through my various readings , I understand that the issues are :

Hi octane is not advisable.

It is a matter of individual choice.But do not use 97 RON (Speed 97). All the other premium fuels are the same octane as normal fuel. They do not contain any friction busters either, only engine oils have them! What they do contain is a kind of detergent to keep the engine clean.

It will actually be less for the premium variety, if at all!

Yes! For both normal and premium.As you are in Hyderabad, better stick to Shell.

I have repeatedly tested Shell premium and normal fuels for my bike alternatively. My conclusion is the bike runs smoother and returns 1 - 2 kpl more with the premium. Result, I have never used ordinary petrol for my car ever since I bought it!
I am no expert, but I have shared my own experience!

Last edited by Gansan : 24th December 2010 at 13:40.
Old 27th December 2010, 17:35   #98

The Problem of getting Extra mile/Premium/HSD for BS4 SUV's

Hi!

I have recently purchased a BS4 Safari EX. I live in the commercial capital of MP (Indore), out of the 18 petrol filling stations inside the city, i am getting the availability of Extra mile/Premium/HSD only in one filling station, on the major highways out of the city, things are no different!

I am really regretting buying a BS4 model now, coz whenever i have to get my safari refilled i have to go to that particular filling station.. thebest pasrt is out of the 18 pumps i mentioned, around 14 are the new look and modern types.. they all have a separate nossle for Extra mile/Premium/HSD.. but they say as it sells less, we dont keep it..

my question is whats the point in launching the BS4 (Euro4) models, when company cant guarantee the availability??

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th December 2010 at 17:43. Reason: Similar discussion, please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks
Old 27th December 2010, 17:45   #99
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Problem of getting Extra mile/Premium/HSD for BS4 SUV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixz16 View Post
Hi!

I have recently purchased a BS4 Safari EX. I live in the commercial capital of MP (Indore), out of the 18 petrol filling stations inside the city, i am getting the availability of Extra mile/Premium/HSD only in one filling station, on the major highways out of the city, things are no different!
================
my question is whats the point in launching the BS4 (Euro4) models, when company cant guarantee the availability??
I need to clarify, did you mean that:

1) BS4 fuel is not available

OR

2) BS4 fuel under premium label is not available.

If it is 1) it is a concern. But if it is 2) not a big deal since normal fuel if BS4 should work well for the BS4 vehicles.
Old 27th December 2010, 17:46   #100
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Problem of getting Extra mile/Premium/HSD for BS4 SUV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixz16 View Post

Experts can correct if I am wrong, but its not mandatory that you fill so called "premium fuels" in your Safari.

As long as the fuel is of good quality, you can use the fuel in your Bs4 safari.

If required you can also add fuel additives additionally.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 27th December 2010 at 17:48.
Old 28th December 2010, 10:18   #101
BHPian

Re: What Fuel Type do you use for your Indian Cars "Normal OR Premium"

Normal Petrol for the i10 and normal Diesel for the Fiesta.

Both are new cars and the authorised service center recommended normal fuel in both cases. So following their advice.

Had tried premium Diesel for a while on the Palio but did not see much difference, so reverted back to normal Diesel.
Old 28th December 2010, 10:36   #102
BANNED

Normal Diesel for my VDi and only normal diesel for my Fortuner. Earlier used only premium diesel for my lancer and results were good,better NVH, mileage. Somehow not that confident of using it in my cars now...
Old 28th December 2010, 10:52   #103
Senior - BHPian

Ever since I got a vehicle way back in 1969 the premium verses normal has been there. The facts are

1. The octane rating say 89, 91, 95 97 etc determines the fuel's resistance to auto ignition under higher compression. Hence low compression engines - Ambassador and Fiat never required higher rated fuel. Modern engine at around 10:1 compression ratio run well enough on 91 octane - the current normal fuel. It is only higher compression engines - 11:1 or more that require higher octane rating, say MB petrol mill or the BMW M series. Putting higher octane fuel will gain you nothing if you do not need it.

2. I have tried all sorts of premium fuel in our M800 then MPFI Esteem and Baleno, with no effect on either performance or milage. Yes in areas where fuel if adulterated, premium fuel is mostly spared hence gives better performance/milage, but that is because the alternative is adulterated!

So I feel that, especially in petrol engines premium fuel is of no advantage untill and unless higher octane rating is required by the engine.
Old 28th December 2010, 11:01   #104
Senior - BHPian

Normal Petrol always. Tried premium (Shell, IOC & BP) didn't find any difference.
Old 28th December 2010, 11:07   #105
Senior - BHPian

Higher Octane or Cetane than required by the engine is not beneficial. Its only going to add to the running cost.

Most of the vehicles running in India can do good with 89 Octane petrol (thats what they were designed for).

Oh btw, I have worked in HPCL refinery. None of us used to fill the "Speed".
Its a marketing ploy to get higher revenues per litre of fuel sold.

Will you pay 2-3 rupees extra otherwise??

Most Viewed