Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2012, 11:00   #1516
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Shell fuel price discussion thread !!

Yesterday evening, shell normal petrol was 77.46 at Chamarajpet outlet when my friend filled his car with it.
What is PSU rate today?...After the elections, and the expected 5Rs/- hike, it will come close to Shell I guess.

Last edited by noopster : 8th March 2012 at 17:04. Reason: Explained in PM
Old 8th March 2012, 16:50   #1517
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shell fuel price discussion thread !!

Rates in Chennai as of last evening were Rs 76.20 for normal and Rs 78.70 for super.
Old 8th March 2012, 17:36   #1518
BHPian

The price revision immediately after the elections is almost like spitting on your face. And the worst part is it's done by telling you that they are gonna spit. Sigh! I wish we had under-sea pipelines from the Gulf to India. Over there, it's still 10rs/litre and the 98 RON comes at 11.40/litre.. I miss Bahrain.

It's high time they pick on diesel for a rate change than not pick at all for fear of inflation.
Old 9th March 2012, 00:19   #1519
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore rates this morning 77.30 for regular and 80.xx for super. It is beginning to scare me. I fill up at shell because it is close to home and I trust their quality but am now beginning to wonder if it is really worth it. If the difference is 1 or 2 rupees a litre I am willing to pay more.

Another good thing, they have started asking if you want your oil and coolant checked. Guess it helped that it was first thing in the morning when they had just opened, but still.
Old 12th March 2012, 18:25   #1520
BHPian

Filled up my car with Shell normal last night. Its now priced at 77.xx . For 2k i now get only 25 litres of petrol
Old 12th March 2012, 19:18   #1521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Filled up my car with Shell normal last night. Its now priced at 77.xx . For 2k i now get only 25 litres of petrol
Buddy, i am just wondering. Are you finding shell really that much worth ?

I feel owning a petrol car itself is a luxury now a days, Filling at Shell is like C'mon

I am sticking to HP since a year now. and i have even tried at the indianOil near my office. There is hardly any difference in mileage between Shell and non-shell.

All this with repeated filling over long period of time

Just make sure that the pump is reputed and better if company owned.
Old 12th March 2012, 23:32   #1522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

I feel owning a petrol car itself is a luxury now a days, Filling at Shell is like C'mon

I am sticking to HP since a year now. and i have even tried at the indianOil near my office. There is hardly any difference in mileage between Shell and non-shell.

All this with repeated filling over long period of time

Just make sure that the pump is reputed and better if company owned.
The one advantage of Shell is that I can drive into any Shell without having to worry about quality and quantity. All the other PSU companies, some of the pumps are good and some are very bad.

Cost wise, Shell is not economical but the peace of mind is worth it when the difference is 1 rupee or so more per litre.
Old 13th March 2012, 05:30   #1523
BHPian

Quote:

I feel owning a petrol car itself is a luxury now a days, Filling at Shell is like C'mon .
Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Cost wise, Shell is not economical but the peace of mind is worth it when the difference is 1 rupee or so more per litre.
After trying multiple pumps in Pune, I finally settled for Shell exactly for the reasons stated above. I had really bad experience with PSU pumps.
IMO Shell offers professional service with reliable quality and quantity. I dont mind paying couple of rupees extra for that.
Old 13th March 2012, 09:24   #1524
Senior - BHPian

Agreed, i too love shell provided their prices are not more than couple of rupee more. Infact i have the full collection of Ferrari cars(when they were offering for 1000+ refueling)

But, 4-5 Rs difference is just too much i feel. I too have heard/experienced PSU pumps and avoid such.

I am sure every city will have at least few good PSU pumps. There can be two types of bad experiences

1. Bad fuel/Less quantity - resulting in bad FE, performance etc
2. Cheating - divert your attention and fill less fuel etc.

For point 1, avoid such pumps, one can easily notice drop in FE or performance!!
For point 2, little bit of attention surely helps

I not against Shell, they need to show profits in their book. But then not all PSU pumps might be as bad as we think(Yes, i too search for shell pump in an unknown city)

But then i own a petrol car and would love to get that extra 100Rs worth of fuel.
Old 13th March 2012, 12:16   #1525
BHPian

Quote:
Shell has got very expensive and i feel the pinch every time i go to fill fuel. The biggest problem with PSU's is the quantity, i have a feeling that all their meters are tampered. Cheating by diverting attention can be taken care of if we are careful but if we are getting less fuel to a liter then we can do nothing. I have often seen a drop in FE when i fill fuel in PSU's and the only reason i can think of is lesser quantity.
Old 13th March 2012, 12:21   #1526
BHPian

Quote:
I used to fill at HPCL, but once I started filling at Shell, I have never gone back to PSU pumps, unless I get stuck in a place like Theni or Bodinayakkanur !

I find the entire process in Shell so stress-free.

In addition I have a healthy-distaste for anything that is Government, so Shell is better - price is not a problem.
Old 13th March 2012, 12:32   #1527
Senior - BHPian

Man, look at Hyderabad prices of Shell.
At 81.25 per liter of normal fuel, I am never going to Shell in the near future.
Fuel Pricing at Shell Stations | India
Old 19th March 2012, 09:49   #1528
BHPian

78.90 for a litre of Shell unleaded. Tanked up this morning and have been thinking ever since as to how I will handle these high fuel prices. Forget PSU outlets, soon I'm going back to my office transport no matter how bad it is.
Old 19th March 2012, 10:29   #1529
BHPian

Same with me. Looked at the meter and it read 78.90, and I thought I was looking at the wrong one, and looked at the next, it was 82+.
And I checked with them and the lady replied that the prices were increased today morning. :(
Old 19th March 2012, 10:32   #1530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Man, look at Hyderabad prices of Shell.
At 81.25 per liter of normal fuel, I am never going to Shell in the near future.
Fuel Pricing at Shell Stations | India
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
Same with me. Looked at the meter and it read 78.90, and I thought I was looking at the wrong one, and looked at the next, it was 82+.
And I checked with them and the lady replied that the prices were increased today morning. :(
I stopped filling Shell from March 1st. Cannot afford it. Find a good PSU pump instead. And turn off the cars at signal

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks