Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:46   #1546
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shell fuel price discussion thread !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Is Reliance petroleum quality comparable to Shell ? My query is cause I never had the opportunity to tank up from Shell but now do so regularly from Reliance. Atleast quantity-wise what I get for a thousand bucks seems to be more as compared to public sector bunks.
Question still remains unanswered. Can someone who has used both Reliance and Shell review both. Is Shell that far ahead of Reliance ?
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:18   #1547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Question still remains unanswered. Can someone who has used both Reliance and Shell review both. Is Shell that far ahead of Reliance ?
I used to fill up at Reliance (petrol) when they had just started. Initially, when they had just started, i used to get just a little better-than-psu mileage. But eventually, somewhere down the line, I started getting worse-than-psu mileage. I stopped using Reliance after that.
With Shell, I have not seen at least a drop in mileage.
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 13:20   #1548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
You mean to say other bunks are cheating in terms of quantity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Yes they are cheating. Quantity wise you will get more fuel proportionally from Shell.

One way to test it - filling up 2L coke bottle based on quantity not price.
I am pretty sure results will be different.
Well...that's a generalisation that's a little too broad for my taste but YES...in general Shell pumps are more honest that the average PSU equivalent. At least here in Pune, there are only a handful of "trusted" PSU pumps and the usual nonsense of shortfilling etc. is rampant at most of the pumps.

In general COCO pumps of the PSUs usually don't indulge in these shenanigans. Whether Shell offers better quality, higher mileage etc. is debatable since I get more or less the same experience even with the good COCO pumps.
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:00   #1549
Team-BHP Support

I'm wondering, why are we expecting Shell prices to go up?

Although crude oil prices have been going up for the last few months, PSU prices have not been touched because the Govt. wanted it so.

However, Shell has been regularly syncing it's prices with the int'l crude prices and is aligned with the prevailing crude oil price.

So, if anything, post-hike PSU prices will come almost on par with Shell prices (while Shell remains untouched).

Ain't this right or am I missing something?
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:11   #1550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Ain't this right or am I missing something?
Absolutely right! Shell prices have been syncing up with the crude prices. They were at 75.xx when PSU was at 72.xx. They went to 76.xx, 77.xx, 78.xx all in a span of 3 weeks (price rise every week). So Shell prices will remain the same or i hope they remain in sync with the crude prices. PSU petrol now costs 72.xx and with Rs. 5 hike will be at 77.xx which will be a similar price difference between Shell and PSU as earlier.
Old 29th March 2012, 11:38   #1551
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sireesh Yeshwantapur drops the following email sharing a link on Shell's real-time fuel prices! Thanks a ton man

Added to the first post of this thread as well.

Quote:
Dear Sir,

First of all congratulatioons on a wonderful site. I have been following you for about four years now, having seen (rather read) about a lot of tbhp meets, planning to surprise visit sometimes topo ( :P ) and also other such brilliant times for the team together. And yes, I'm waiting for the never say die camper from DKG saab too :P

Now back to the point, I wanted to bring to the notice of our esteemed members that there exists a page on Shell's website where they display relatively latest info on their prices. Now its updated as on 18th march. Fuel Pricing at Shell Stations | India here goes. so that people dont have to make posts saying " hey whats the price here, now"

just thought I'd give back something to the community from where ive got useful info about workshops around,like Mr. Iyer at Hyderabad, and got to make acquaintance with great guys like Dr. Abheek and Fazal Saab.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 11:49   #1552
Senior - BHPian

Excellent step from Shell to have the pricing online on their website. It's such a big help.
Old 29th March 2012, 16:28   #1553
BHPian

Excellent site. Thanks for the info.
While we wont be discussing on whats the price anymore, i think we'll be doing more of why so much now.
+9 over PSU is too much in my opinion.
Old 29th March 2012, 16:45   #1554
Senior - BHPian

Excellent! Nice to have their website updated about the fuel prices real time.

BTW.. Just browsed thru' the Shell Station Locator on the website as well. It was quite disturbing to see that ~30-40% of the bunks are temporarily closed, except in the state of Karnataka and Gujarat. Any particular reason? Also their timings looks very restrictive on paper!
Old 29th March 2012, 16:53   #1555
Senior - BHPian

On the fuel efficiency debate, i have found in Bangalore the fuel efficiency that i get from Shell and HP (specifically the HSR/Agara Lake one) is same or very close. If i fill petrol from elsewhere including Reliance (Which is not close but i get them on Highway) the average is about ~1Km less.

Most of the times the Company owned ones offer unadulterated and right quantity fuel.

Apart from that have not felt any difference in driving and smoothness of engine.
Old 30th March 2012, 22:49   #1556
BHPian

Is anybody aware of the octane ratings of shell unleaded and super unleaded??
Old 31st March 2012, 14:41   #1557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream1188 View Post
Is anybody aware of the octane ratings of shell unleaded and super unleaded??
Both are the same 91 octane.
Old 1st April 2012, 09:57   #1558
BHPian

One needs to be very careful at most PSU pumps. So I fill up only at a few ok outlets.

Whenever I get the opportunity I fill up at the Shell outlets. I remember the first time I used their fuel in my Santro i could immediately make out an improvement in smoothness of the engine. Not much of difference in average though. My take is that Shell regular is equivalent in quality to the premium fuels of the PSUs - mainly from the engine smoothness point of view.

One important point- try using Shell when your tank is almost empty. Then u will be able to notice t he difference.
Old 5th April 2012, 21:52   #1559
Distinguished - BHPian

Shell has increased the prices again.Normal petrol is now 80 per liter.

Cheers!
Old 5th April 2012, 22:17   #1560
Senior - BHPian

Rates today are Rs 79.00 for normal and 81.50 for super.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks