Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2012, 11:17   #1591
BHPian

Re: Shell fuel price discussion thread !!

Topped up ate Shell Whitefield yesterday evening. Price of Normal Shell petrol - 81.50 Rs/litre . Has it gone down or has it been the same since last couple of weeks?
Old 13th May 2012, 11:50   #1592
BHPian

Can someone please throw some light that how/why is Shell charging more for their fuel? And what are the advantages of filling from Shell? I regularly fill at BP and have never changed to any other.
Old 13th May 2012, 15:48   #1593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Can someone please throw some light that how/why is Shell charging more for their fuel? And what are the advantages of filling from Shell? I regularly fill at BP and have never changed to any other.
Shell charges more than PSU because.
  • Shell doesn't receive any subsidy like BP, HP, IOC.
  • Shell fuel prices are dependent on International Crude prices and keep changing with fluctuating crude price.
  • When Shell says 1 L you get 1 L. Unlike PSU where there are high chances of giving less fuel for the same said price.
  • Quality of fuel is certainly better than those PSU.
  • Some extra price for the Shell brand name. Just as we have in Honda & VW.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 16:16   #1594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Topped up ate Shell Whitefield yesterday evening. Price of Normal Shell petrol - 81.50 Rs/litre . Has it gone down or has it been the same since last couple of weeks?
Paid 85.80 /litre yesterday for Shell Normal here in Hyd
Old 13th May 2012, 21:42   #1595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04
Its the same price in Bangalore since March. I donot agree its VFM compared with PSU bunks for quality and quantity.
Actually it should reduce as crude in international market is in reducing trend for last week.
Old 14th May 2012, 10:45   #1596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Its the same price in Bangalore since March. I donot agree its VFM compared with PSU bunks for quality and quantity.
Actually it should reduce as crude in international market is in reducing trend for last week.
I have stopped filling in Shell after I had a discussion with someone owing a couple of Indian Oil bunks. The person reported that there is nothing special about the Shell fuel, it all comes and stores in the same silos as Indian oil so there isnt any special Shell warehouse or silos to store the fuel. I guess its true though not sure as I have not seen any shell specific silos on the highways.
Old 14th May 2012, 11:06   #1597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
I have stopped filling in Shell after I had a discussion with someone owing a couple of Indian Oil bunks. The person reported that there is nothing special about the Shell fuel, it all comes and stores in the same silos as Indian oil so there isnt any special Shell warehouse or silos to store the fuel. I guess its true though not sure as I have not seen any shell specific silos on the highways.
Exactly, I really find it strange when some people vouch by the Shell quality and say they see noticable improvement on switching to Shell.

May be because before shell, they were going to these privately owned pumps where they look for smallest of opportunities to divert the attention and fill 50-100 rs less worth of fuel.

I have been using company owned PSU pumps as well as shell(never went to shell since last 7-8 months ) and never saw any difference in performance or FE.
Old 14th May 2012, 11:17   #1598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Exactly, I really find it strange when some people vouch by the Shell quality and say they see noticable improvement on switching to Shell.

May be because before shell, they were going to these privately owned pumps where they look for smallest of opportunities to divert the attention and fill 50-100 rs less worth of fuel.

I have been using company owned PSU pumps as well as shell(never went to shell since last 7-8 months ) and never saw any difference in performance or FE.
I would say it may be a placebo effect for the people who feel shell quality and quantity is better. I tried shell for 1 year and I have a fuel log for the year. Same I started maintaining for IOC this year. Last 4 months I could not find any difference on Mileage.
I find IOC pumps you get a personal attention once we get familier with them. In case of Shell respect and folding hand looks so artificial. May be some people enjoy it
Old 14th May 2012, 12:49   #1599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
I would say it may be a placebo effect for the people who feel shell quality and quantity is better. I tried shell for 1 year and I have a fuel log for the year. Same I started maintaining for IOC this year. Last 4 months I could not find any difference on Mileage.
I find IOC pumps you get a personal attention once we get familier with them. In case of Shell respect and folding hand looks so artificial. May be some people enjoy it
That kind customer service was unheard of especially at fuel bunks when shell arrived India, but now "most" of the PSU bunks have the same kind of attitude and coupled with lower price and same milage, does not make sense paying higher.

Ok we are going way
Old 14th May 2012, 13:04   #1600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Ok we are going way
No we are not going off topic. I am only trying to make a point that considering the price of petrol today, its better to stop discussing about shell fuel and switch to PSU pumps.

We can re-open this thread and also re-visit shell if fuel prices drop down(i dont even want to hear fuel prices going up in my dreams)
Old 24th May 2012, 10:26   #1601
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the fuel price hike (spike!) has not affected Shell yet :

Fuel Pricing at Shell Stations | India

OR

Their website prices are not updated that regularly.
Old 24th May 2012, 10:32   #1602
Distinguished - BHPian

I understand Shell does not receive any government aid to keeps prices in check.

But, I want to know - where do they get their fuel from? Do they have any refineary in India?

I know Reliance and Essar have their refineries in India and they focus on importing crude and exporting refined products (petrol, diesel, etc) rather than selling in domestic market.
Old 24th May 2012, 10:36   #1603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
But, I want to know - where do they get their fuel from? Do they have any refineary in India?
Shell gets them from MRPL !

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 10:41   #1604
BHPian

What I fail to understand is, Shell buys petrol from Mangalore refinary after paying them without any subsidy, transports the fuel to bangalore, pays all the taxes to govt, adds all its profits and still can price petrol 50p cheaper PUC bunks. And on the other hand... our puc oil firms still claim they are subsidizing petrol :(

Regards,
Old 24th May 2012, 10:55   #1605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Shell gets them from MRPL !

Cheers!
Great.
I was looking up on google and i bumped into this info.
Also, world wide they are reducing their refinery business - selling many refineries - as per them there is over capacity in refinery business world wide...

Source: allAfrica.com: Nigeria: Why We Will Not Build Refineries - Shell

Now the fundamental question - if they get from MRPL, why should their fuel be better than the fuel supplied by PUCs (I think IOC owns MRPL, right?).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks