Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2014, 16:00   #2176
BHPian

re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Guys, Wanted to know, as on date, what's the price of regular diesel at Shell outlet's in Bangalore
Old 14th March 2014, 16:06   #2177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Guys, Wanted to know, as on date, what's the price of regular diesel at Shell outlet's in Bangalore

It is Rs 69.30 for diesel in Blr.
Old 14th March 2014, 16:13   #2178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
http://www.shell.com/ind/products-se...ing-board.html
Old 14th March 2014, 16:23   #2179
Senior - BHPian

Shell bunk at Mundhwa, Pune is always out of regular fuel. They always say: Please fill up premium one, it will remove all carbon from the engine and will give better mileage.

I always have to go back to the HP bunk and fill up from there.
Old 14th March 2014, 18:58   #2180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Shell bunk at Mundhwa, Pune is always out of regular fuel. They always say: Please fill up premium one, it will remove all carbon from the engine and will give better mileage.

I always have to go back to the HP bunk and fill up from there.
That is weird. I have tanked up at this outlet regularly over the past 6 months. They do try and push you to fill premium but I am now used to politely declining the same. I have filled up regular petrol at their bunk yesterday. I can vaguely recollect the regular petrol in stock displayed as being close to 20000 ltrs. So unless they sold that amount of fuel in one day, there is something fishy going on out there.
Old 14th March 2014, 19:20   #2181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prafulasher View Post
That is weird. I have tanked up at this outlet regularly over the past 6 months. They do try and push you to fill premium but I am now used to politely declining the same. I have filled up regular petrol at their bunk yesterday. I can vaguely recollect the regular petrol in stock displayed as being close to 20000 ltrs. So unless they sold that amount of fuel in one day, there is something fishy going on out there.
Well, to me it looks like the manager is just trying to sell the premium version which no body buys.
I visit the place around 11 AM - 12 PM. Perhaps I should visit before 10 AM and see what they have to say.
I was told that the fuel supplier does not come to the pump due to road construction outside the pump - which is really not a good reason.
Old 21st March 2014, 18:31   #2182
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, I had to go to a place near St. Thomas Mount for some work. Since it got over earlier than expected and it was still daylight, I thought I'd take the i10 (nearly 5 years old now) to get its engine oil changed at the Chromepet Shell pump, before returning home.

It turned out that I learned the limitations of getting an oil change at a Shell pump.

An Alto was getting its oil changed when I went there. While waiting for my turn, I purchased 3.5 litres of Shell Helix HX5 (yellow can) and an original Hyundai oil filter they had in stock. The total cost came to some 1200+ rupees.

After the Alto left, I parked the car over the pit. It began well enough. The mechanic cleaned the air filter and the engine bay with pressurised air, checked the battery electrolyte, brake fluid and coolant to see if they needed topping up. Then he went down into the pit and unscrewed the plug to drain the old engine oil. After that, he tried to remove the oil filter. This is where the problem began.

It seemed the old oil filter just did not want to come off. It was as if it was welded on and would not budge. He removed a plastic panel on the underbody (held by two screws) to get better access to the oil filter. Still it wouldn't come off. By this time, I left the comfort of the small A/C waiting room and joined him in the pit to see what the problem was. And sure enough, the old filter wouldn't budge even a single millimetre. He tried with different oil filter wrenches (that's what they are called, I think) and still the same result. I tried as well, and fared no better. He also got a wrench with an extra long removable handle (for better leverage) and tried from the top. Even with the combined effort of the two of us, the filter would not come off.

With all this, the filter also got a bit bent at some points, due to the efforts in trying to remove it with a "clawed" filter wrench. Now I was worried that something in the engine bay would snap if we continued. So I asked him to stop.

The used oil had drained out, so I got the new one filled. Since the old filter was still in place, it would take in well less than the total capacity. I got the plug and panel fixed back in place, checked for engine oil leaks (thankfully, there were none), filled fuel at the pump and left.

So now, the car is running with new engine oil mixed with some old one still left in it, because the old filter would not come off.

Is this going to cause a problem for the engine? Is it advisable to run the car for a couple of thousand kilometres (or three months) more, before I take it to the workshop? To be taken into consideration is the fact that the filter is not only old, but got a little bent at a few places because of the "clawed" filter wrench.

Experts, I need your advice.

Should I take the car to a workshop to get the filter (and oil) changed immediately? Or can we use the car for a couple of thousand odd km before going for a service? Will they have a suitable tool (like a powered filter wrench) to remove the stubborn old filter?

Last edited by RSR : 21st March 2014 at 18:40.
Old 26th March 2014, 09:16   #2183
Senior - BHPian

Does Shell petrol price differ on the same day within the same city? I see that the Shell @Whitefiled is always 60-70 paise lesser than Shell @Bellandur. Shell @ Whitefield is closer to the PSU petrol price.
Old 26th March 2014, 10:39   #2184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I see that the Shell @Whitefiled is always 60-70 paise lesser than Shell @Bellandur. Shell @ Whitefield is closer to the PSU petrol price.
I too noticed the rate to be higher at Bellandur bunk. However I have not checked the rates on same day at other bunks hence not sure about the rate difference you mentioning about. My usual filling is in intervals of ~ 3 weeks, so thought may be petrol rate increased in that time.

However if you check the shell price link you will notice that there are three petrol rates for Bangalore (Euro 2, 3, 4). If Whitefield is mentioned out side Bangalore city then the difference may be due to the same.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 10:41   #2185
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Does Shell petrol price differ on the same day within the same city? I see that the Shell @Whitefiled is always 60-70 paise lesser than Shell @Bellandur. Shell @ Whitefield is closer to the PSU petrol price.
Prices don't change within a day, it is just that the prices are cheaper in Bangalore Rural areas compared to Bangalore Urban.
Near my house, Mallathalli, i get petrol for around 50 paise cheaper than in the Urban limits.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 17:40   #2186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Should I take the car to a workshop to get the filter (and oil) changed immediately?
Don't fret. Nothing will go wrong. You have already topped up with new engine oil and everything's fine. It is just that, this refill that you made, will get "dirtier" a little earlier compared to the recommended oil change interval, as the oil filter is old. Rest assured your engine will not be starved for oil or anything of that sort.

Jammed oil filters are pretty common. You can try spraying some WD-40 on the oil filter thread side, allow it to soak overnight and try once again in the morning. Dont overspray - just a wee bit - as those loosening solvents are flammable to an extent. Otherwise, just a lot of patience and coaxing with oil filter wrench is the only way out. Be careful not to crack the filter body though.
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 21:37   #2187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Should I take the car to a workshop to get the filter (and oil) changed immediately? Or can we use the car for a couple of thousand odd km before going for a service? Will they have a suitable tool (like a powered filter wrench) to remove the stubborn old filter?
I would take it to the A.S.S. immediately.

How come the filter is wedged so tightly? When and where was the last oil change done?
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 21:43   #2188
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for your replies and suggestions, arjab and Gansan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I would take it to the A.S.S. immediately.

How come the filter is wedged so tightly? When and where was the last oil change done?
I have no idea why it got jammed so badly.

The last oil change was done as a part of the paid service at Hyundai Motor Plaza, Ekkaduthangal, just less than one year (or ~ 6500 km) ago.
Old 27th March 2014, 09:14   #2189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Well, to me it looks like the manager is just trying to sell the premium version which no body buys.
I visit the place around 11 AM - 12 PM. Perhaps I should visit before 10 AM and see what they have to say.
I was told that the fuel supplier does not come to the pump due to road construction outside the pump - which is really not a good reason.
Let me know how it goes. I know some guys at Shell. Will escalate.
Old 27th March 2014, 09:22   #2190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar

Prices don't change within a day, it is just that the prices are cheaper in Bangalore Rural areas compared to Bangalore Urban.
Near my house, Mallathalli, i get petrol for around 50 paise cheaper than in the Urban limits.
Same in Pune. The pump located at Phase 1 Hinjewadi is cheaper typically by Rs 2 than those in PMC and PCMC limits.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks