Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2014, 18:44   #2296
Team-BHP Support

re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Filled up Regular Unleaded Petrol @75.20/Liter at Shell Mysore Road on Sunday.

What's with the attendants acting pushy about 'Super Unleaded'? I've been a regular Shell customer for 6 years now, and even though they've always mentioned it when I tanked up in the past, they've become really annoying the last few months. I avoid being rude but have had to firmly repeat what I wanted on a few occasions. A polite 'No thanks, I'll go with the Regular' doesn't work anymore.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 20:04   #2297
BHPian

Actually, the last couple of times I have been there, the attendants have filled in the premium petrol. I figured it out only now. This was not the case before.
Old 9th September 2014, 21:17   #2298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Filled up Regular Unleaded Petrol @75.20/Liter at Shell Mysore Road on Sunday.

What's with the attendants acting pushy about 'Super Unleaded'? I've been a regular Shell customer for 6 years now, and even though they've always mentioned it when I tanked up in the past, they've become really annoying the last few months. I avoid being rude but have had to firmly repeat what I wanted on a few occasions. A polite 'No thanks, I'll go with the Regular' doesn't work anymore.
I just look at them sternly and just say normal petrol please. I say the same irrespective of what rant they give. So they will know I won't budge and fill quietly.
Old 9th September 2014, 21:31   #2299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
What's with the attendants acting pushy about 'Super Unleaded'?
The shell bunk on varthur road has adopted a novel approach to promote super unleaded fuel for bikers!
This bunk has a long queue of bikes at all times I have seen that they have one dispenser reserved for 'super unleaded' and that doesn't have a queue.
So, bikers in a hurry can go for the super unleaded and skip the long queues!
Old 10th September 2014, 08:33   #2300
Senior - BHPian

Tanked up my Beat at Shell, Varthur (Siddapura), B'lore, with Shell Unleaded Petrol (Normal) at Rs.74.45/l.
Just came to my mind, I had paid around 81.x/l around May. Feels good to see Petrol prices coming down, by a good number.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 08:45   #2301
BHPian

Tanked up my Punto Sports with High Speed Diesel at Rs.66.05/Ltr from Shell Bunk located on Old Madras Road. Price prevailing as on 8th September, 2014.
Old 10th September 2014, 09:26   #2302
BHPian

Chennai IOC-71.55, Shell-74, Diff-2.45/L
Bangalore IOC-75.13, Shell-75.20(Euro-III is even cheaper), Diff-0.07/L

And i knew Bangalore has one of the highest taxes on petrol products.

Is it that Shell is overcharging in Chennai?

* All prices from respective IOCL and Shell websites.
Old 17th September 2014, 12:57   #2303
Senior - BHPian

Tanked up with Shell diesel for the first time on my Swift. I've driven around for ~200 kms as of now and I see no change in drivability,smoothness or revv-free nature of the engine.

The only noticeable change is there used to be a pungent smell before on idle with PSU fuel,its now gone. Will try another tankfull before making a decision to stick or switchback.
Old 17th September 2014, 20:55   #2304
Senior - BHPian

Shell is supposed to more efficient, transparent and professional compared to our PSU's.

Now, the Govt has not reduced the petrol prices for whatever reason (election comission rules, may be?) though the crude prices have continued to tumble. Shell doesn't have to wait for approval from any Govt. babus anyways. So, what stops them from changing the fuel price more real time..It seems that they reduce the prices in sync with the PSUs... what we would expect is the price to vary daily and not based on the 15-day window that the PSU's have along with other political compulsions.

There are many instances where we expect the prices to be reduced but the PSUs delay it citing various reasons mostly related to politics. Also, they can't really alter the price within the 15 day period. What is stopping Shell from doing the price adjustments daily or more frequently? Is there some understanding between Shell and the govt regarding this?

Frankly, very disappointed!
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 01:22   #2305
Senior - BHPian

I filled diesel at Shell- Sadashiv Nagar 4 days back. Diesel priced at Rs.65.05 per litre. It is Rs.1 cheaper than other Shell pumps in Bangalore city and about Rs,1 costlier than Govt, Worth it IMHO.

I have started feeling the sluggishness in pickup, which I had felt when I filled in Shell a couple of years ago. Hope it wears off..
Old 18th September 2014, 08:27   #2306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Chennai IOC-71.55, Shell-74, Diff-2.45/L
Bangalore IOC-75.13, Shell-75.20(Euro-III is even cheaper), Diff-0.07/L

And i knew Bangalore has one of the highest taxes on petrol products.

Is it that Shell is overcharging in Chennai?

* All prices from respective IOCL and Shell websites.
If i am not wrong, Shell sources the fuel from MRPL refinery in Mangalore. Its purely geographic.
Old 18th September 2014, 11:49   #2307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I have started feeling the sluggishness in pickup, which I had felt when I filled in Shell a couple of years ago. Hope it wears off..
I did tank up with Shell diesel last week for my Swift VDi and felt the same too.
However, I attributed the sluggishness to the worn out clutch!
Old 18th September 2014, 13:04   #2308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
There are many instances where we expect the prices to be reduced but the PSUs delay it citing various reasons mostly related to politics. Also, they can't really alter the price within the 15 day period. What is stopping Shell from doing the price adjustments daily or more frequently? Is there some understanding between Shell and the govt regarding this?

Frankly, very disappointed!

Completely agree with you on this. Shell being a private player in this field should be pricing their products more dynamic, but for some unforeseen reasons are sticking to Monthly changes, not even for 15 days. This is what I have observed on their websites. Hopefully, reliance also re-starts their pumps and that might bring in some urgency to others.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 13:09   #2309
BHPian

Based on your individual to experience, do you feel shell is unadulterated? I know when they came out, their fuel quality was outstanding compared to our national providers, but have you seen a depreciation in quality recently?

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 18th September 2014, 13:23   #2310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I filled diesel at Shell- Sadashiv Nagar 4 days back. Diesel priced at Rs.65.05 per litre. It is Rs.1 cheaper than other Shell pumps in Bangalore city and about Rs,1 costlier than Govt, Worth it IMHO.

It will wear off in few hundred kms. Even i faced this issue when i shifted to shell diesel for my i20

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks