Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2014, 17:15   #2386
Senior - BHPian

re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
My main motivation to fill up there is complete the collection of Lego toys.
Yes same motivation for me as well. I got 45L Unleaded Normal Petrol yesterday for around 69.50 /L and picked up the Black Ferrari for 100 odd rupees. Aint bad really. My second toy.

I dont drive that much (this tankful in Vento should last this year), hopefully the offer will still be there next time I am in need for fuel.
Old 5th December 2014, 17:25   #2387
BHPian

Tanked up for Rs.57.00/Lt yesterday from Shell OMR.
Old 9th December 2014, 10:54   #2388
BHPian

I had a very bad experience with the shell outlet at varthur road last Sunday morning.
I had taken my dad's alto there to fill up. As usual the guy filling up was forcing me to fill up their super premium and I had to raise my voice to make him fill up the normal stuff.
After filling up another guy comes up and says shell now does a free checkup of engine oil and coolant levels. I was meaning to do the same myself as the car was not used for a few weeks and opened up the bonnet.
This guy pulls up the engine oil dip stick and does a lot of drama including smelling the oil and analysing it his fingers. He then opens up the coolant reservoir and does the same thing.
He finally comes to the startling conclusion that my coolant had gone bad and needs to be changed immediately which they would do it for free if the coolant is purchased from them.
When i asked him how he reached that conclusion, he changed his strategy saying there is no coolant at all as the mixture appears very watery and suggested me to add more coolant. I started giving him a piece of my mind, but I was already running late to pick up someone and so had to leave.
FYI, the engine oil and coolant were changed at a Maruti service center only around 2000kms back and this guy must be having super human skills to come to conclusions just by touching and smelling.
I will be leaving my feedback online in their website though I think they have stopped bothering about customer feedback as there is always a huge queue of vehicles there due to their prices being lower than PSU bunks.
I have decided to stop going to shell here after and fill up at the HP COCO bunk on old airport road near manipal hospital as it is on my way to office.

Last edited by SR71-Blackbird : 9th December 2014 at 10:55.
SR71-Blackbird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 11:10   #2389
Senior - BHPian

Its just marketing. They aren't mechanics. Why let them check the engine oil or coolant if not confident on the person? If they were indeed skilled, they wouldn't be working in petrol pumps.

Just say NO when they offer to check. Same for premium fuel. Never felt these marketing stunts as an issue. Same with the Lego toy.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 11:43   #2390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post
have decided to stop going to shell here after and fill up at the HP COCO bunk on old airport road near manipal hospital as it is on my way to office.
The pestering for super unleaded is bit too much. My tactic is to keep saying no and when they say about more mileage, I say it never works. This usually makes them stop.

Regarding the HP bunk you mentioned, I guess it is the one next to the signal on left side when driving towards Domlur. It is not a COCO now I guess, they were having a COCO bill board some 3 years back for around a year. Then they removed the same. I am not sure how, but have seen this for a HP bunk in Calicut too, they had this for one year and removed. The best bunk in that route is the BP opposite to Manipal from my experience.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 12:03   #2391
BANNED

Filled up shell diesel over the weekend, Rs57.86/liter is awesome. However, I find NO CHANGE in the engine performance or mileage.

The guy did ask me for a free check up, looked up the level and said its low. I said, its ok, the service is due and he just kept quite after that. No pushing. The choice to let them see it is ours and I used it to just see the engine oil level without getting my hands dirty. The level was not low, it was between the high and low mark of the dip stick/spring. Coolant wasn't checked.

However, they did say that they stock all fuel filters and will change them for free(no labor charges) if we get the engine oil. Anyone has any experience of using them? This is the shell near Graphite India Signal. My car is still under warranty and hence I will not be using them for couple of years at least, but it is good to get a feedback though.
ILTDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 22:13   #2392
BHPian

This is IOC response to Shell price of 57.10/L :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-fullsizerender-2.jpg  

andydude is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 22:43   #2393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydude View Post
This is IOC response to Shell price of 57.10/L :-)
That's some innovative marketing
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 22:53   #2394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had a very bad experience with the shell outlet at varthur road last Sunday morning.
I had taken my dad's alto there to fill up. As usual the guy filling up was forcing me to fill up their super premium and I had to raise my voice to make him fill up the normal stuff.
After filling up another guy comes up and says shell now does a free checkup of engine oil and coolant levels. I was meaning to do the same myself as the car was not used for a few weeks and opened up the bonnet.
This guy pulls up the engine oil dip stick and does a lot of drama including smelling the oil and analysing it his fingers. He then opens up the coolant reservoir and does the same thing.
He finally comes to the startling conclusion that my coolant had gone bad and needs to be changed immediately which they would do it for free if the coolant is purchased from them.
When i asked him how he reached that conclusion, he changed his strategy saying there is no coolant at all as the mixture appears very watery and suggested me to add more coolant. I started giving him a piece of my mind, but I was already running late to pick up someone and so had to leave.
FYI, the engine oil and coolant were changed at a Maruti service center only around 2000kms back and this guy must be having super human skills to come to conclusions just by touching and smelling.
I will be leaving my feedback online in their website though I think they have stopped bothering about customer feedback as there is always a huge queue of vehicles there due to their prices being lower than PSU bunks.
I have decided to stop going to shell here after and fill up at the HP COCO bunk on old airport road near manipal hospital as it is on my way to office.
Firstly, u can't check your engine oil level when the car has been run and gone to the petrol station. The levels can only be checked when the car has been stationary for a few hours. I don't know how many people end up over filling engine oil at the petrol station because they don't know when an engine oil level can be checked and when not. Overfilling can kill any engine.
humyum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 11:11   #2395
BHPian

Today, I filled up my XUV to the brim with Shell normal diesel @ Rs. 51.10/l. This was at the Bannerghatta road fuel station, which is the nearest one for me (any brand). They asked if I want any checkup and a simple smile conveyed everything to the attendant. No more questions
One thing which I noticed is that their air compressors are better calibrated than the other fuel stations. Think I will stick with them as the price difference is negligible, the service is better and it is also nearer to my home.
Old 12th December 2014, 11:16   #2396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Today, I filled up my XUV to the brim with Shell normal diesel @ Rs. 51.10/l.

Hope this is a typo and not a promotional offer. If I remember correctly I filled for 57.10 a liter couple of days back
Old 12th December 2014, 11:26   #2397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One thing which I noticed is that their air compressors are better calibrated than the other fuel stations.
Whoa, talking of air compressors.
I normally tank up at Shell, Varthur Road while returning from office.

And I must say, this Shell Varthur outlet has the worst air compressor in Bangalore. Half of the time it would be malfunctioning or shut down. One fine day, it gave me a scare when the guy no matter how much he tried to fill up, the pressure was escaping for 3 tires. The pressure came down from 31 to 26 instead of standard 33 !! Finally I went out and called the manager, who did nothing but just stood and the pressure device started behaving.

I have given them complaint many times about the ill maintained air compressor. But as usual, since it is a free service, they don't care.

Sorry for the Rant.
Old 12th December 2014, 12:27   #2398
BHPian

Quote:
<snip>
<snip>
Looks like the staff at different SHELL stations behave differently. Here, in Chennai, I fill regularly at SHELL Pallikaranai and have had no problem with the staff. They are courteous and when I say that I want normal unleaded petrol, they just go ahead and don't try selling the premium version. I do not know if other BHPians have had the same experience at this station but I am very happy with their service and.

I am not sure if its because of calibration of the fuel dispensers but I have consistently got longer range when I fill up at SHELL compared to various other PSU stations (even the COCO ones). I have checked this about five times (empty to empty) specifically. Puzzles me. Before any questions, I make sure I have about 5 litres of fuel in a jerry can when I know that the fuel in the tank is going to get over soon .
Old 12th December 2014, 12:31   #2399
BANNED

Quote:
Today, I filled up my XUV to the brim with Shell normal diesel @ Rs. 51.10/l. T.
Are you sure about this price? I filled just last week and it was Rs.56.85. Are there any promotional offers at this particular bunk?
Old 12th December 2014, 12:38   #2400
Distinguished - BHPian

I filled only yesterday at Kempapura,near Yelahanka for 57.10 per liter. Same was advertised at their Mekhri Circle outlet as well.

Most Viewed