Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2014, 12:49   #2401
Senior - BHPian

re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsbhp View Post
I am not sure if its because of calibration of the fuel dispensers but I have consistently got longer range when I fill up at SHELL compared to various other PSU stations (even the COCO ones). I have checked this about five times (empty to empty) specifically. Puzzles me. Before any questions, I make sure I have about 5 litres of fuel in a jerry can when I know that the fuel in the tank is going to get over soon .
Not a good idea to drive when fuel is low that too an extent that you carry fuel in a jerry can. MPFI/CRDI fuel pumps wont like low fuel in the tank and there would be risk of failures. Full tank to full tank method when around 25% fuel is remaining is a good sample size.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 12:56   #2402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post
I had a very bad experience with the shell outlet at varthur road last Sunday morning.
I had taken my dad's alto there to fill up. As usual the guy filling up was forcing me to fill up their super premium and I had to raise my voice to make him fill up the normal stuff.
After filling up another guy comes up and says shell now does a free checkup of engine oil and coolant levels. I was meaning to do the same myself as the car was not used for a few weeks and opened up the bonnet.
This guy pulls up the engine oil dip stick and does a lot of drama including smelling the oil and analysing it his fingers. He then opens up the coolant reservoir and does the same thing.
He finally comes to the startling conclusion that my coolant had gone bad and needs to be changed immediately which they would do it for free if the coolant is purchased from them.
When i asked him how he reached that conclusion, he changed his strategy saying there is no coolant at all as the mixture appears very watery and suggested me to add more coolant. I started giving him a piece of my mind, but I was already running late to pick up someone and so had to leave.
FYI, the engine oil and coolant were changed at a Maruti service center only around 2000kms back and this guy must be having super human skills to come to conclusions just by touching and smelling.
I will be leaving my feedback online in their website though I think they have stopped bothering about customer feedback as there is always a huge queue of vehicles there due to their prices being lower than PSU bunks.
I have decided to stop going to shell here after and fill up at the HP COCO bunk on old airport road near manipal hospital as it is on my way to office.

Everyone is fed up with the shell attendants asking us or rather forcing us to fill in Super, but there is another side to this story.

Last night I had a talk with 2-3 fillers at a large shell outlet in the City and all of them had the same story.

"We are forced to push Shell super and management wants us to only sell shell super."
The guys I spoke to say they are overworked and 90% of of customers end up screaming at them because they try to sell shell super, Which many people don't want.

I quote one of the boys telling me - this is like torture! We get yelled at everyday because of forcing shell super and people don't like that. We don't like to force people but we are forced to.
Management also wants them to "promote" oil/lubricants and Lego toys.

So before you lose your temper on one of these boys, think again. They don't want to do this, but they are forced to do this by the management.

If you really have a problem about being forced shell super then please complain to the management and also write to Shell. This is the only way to stop this.
Captain Slow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 13:18   #2403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsbhp View Post
Looks like the staff at different SHELL stations behave differently. Here, in Chennai, I fill regularly at SHELL Pallikaranai and have had no problem with the staff. They are courteous and when I say that I want normal unleaded petrol, they just go ahead and don't try selling the premium version. I do not know if other BHPians have had the same experience at this station but I am very happy with their service and.
Same experience at Shell Chromepet. They fill what we want. I have never faced any issues.
Old 12th December 2014, 13:34   #2404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
I quote one of the boys telling me - this is like torture! We get yelled at everyday because of forcing shell super and people don't like that. We don't like to force people but we are forced to.
Management also wants them to "promote" oil/lubricants and Lego toys.
If you really have a problem about being forced shell super then please complain to the management and also write to Shell. This is the only way to stop this.
It is obvious that these attendants push us for Super, due to Management pressure. It is not like they get direct commissions for selling Super.
Everyone knows the story behind who actually want to push sales.

What is disturbing is that these attendants go over the board and start pestering. I understand that they are under pressure, but they cannot keep nagging a customer. I guess most of us say a sweet No for the first time. If they start telling stories, that is what makes one agitated.
If they don't like it, leave the job, get another better one. Sales is a part of their job, and salesmen have to be very patient with various customer moods. Harsh, but that is the fact.

I left one IT company because I didn't get the hike. I didn't stay there and kept writing bad codes for customers. Hope you get the positive side of what I am trying to convey.
Old 12th December 2014, 13:35   #2405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Hope this is a typo and not a promotional offer. If I remember correctly I filled for 57.10 a liter couple of days back
I don't believe I wrote it, sorry. Wishful thinking maybe
Yes, it is 57.10/l. Did all the proof reading and missed that critical single digit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Whoa, talking of air compressors.
I was talking only about the one on Bannerghatta road. I never faced any issue with them. For the other nearby fuel stations, I've found that the air pressure is always a couple of notches lower than the real value.
As a side note, after the deregulation I've noticed that the rush at the Shell station has increased considerably. Now, let's see if they can manage the facilities at the same level.

Last edited by A350XWB : 12th December 2014 at 13:47.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 15:41   #2406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Not a good idea to drive when fuel is low that too an extent that you carry fuel in a jerry can. MPFI/CRDI fuel pumps wont like low fuel in the tank and there would be risk of failures. Full tank to full tank method when around 25% fuel is remaining is a good sample size.
Thanks, Karthik. That is true. I just did it some four times as I was really puzzled as to whether there really was a difference. I don't always go around with fuel in 5 litre jerry cans .
marsbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 15:54   #2407
BANNED

Bangalore has the below three options.
Diesel
Bangalore - Euro IV 57.10
Bangalore - Euro III-A 57.10
Bangalore Euro III -B 56.85

This may be an OT question on this forum, but is it OK to use Euro 3B in a BS4 car?

Last edited by ILTDrive : 12th December 2014 at 15:55.
Old 13th December 2014, 11:27   #2408
BHPian

Yesterday I filled up Shell normal petrol at 69.65 Rs per litre at JP Nagar outlet. No one forced me to fill the premium fuel.

I had not used shell for a very long time and was continuously sticking to IOC for the cash back etc. Let me see whether I get some good mileage figures out of shell. Further I didn't notice any difference in performance of the bike after filling shell fuel.

Also I was inquiring about their cash back card which after understanding that the cash back was only 0.5% sounded very silly to me, so didn't opt for it.
Old 15th December 2014, 15:02   #2409
Senior - BHPian

I filled up at Shell Sadhashivanagar outlet on Saturday.

There were 2 separate queues for normal and premium for 2 wheelers. I went in the normal queue and the attendant didn't say anything about premium.

OTOH, the attendant at the 4 wheeler queue was trying to hard sell the premium petrol.

Rohan
Old 16th December 2014, 07:33   #2410
Senior - BHPian

Shell Segehalli
BSIII Rs. 68.80
Old 16th December 2014, 08:00   #2411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Shell Segehalli
BSIII Rs. 68.80
Is this the price after reduction, or is Shell yet to reduce the petrol price ?
Old 16th December 2014, 08:35   #2412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is the rate from December 1st. So we can expect a price cut of around 2 rupees.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 08:39   #2413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
This is the rate from December 1st. So we can expect a price cut of around 2 rupees.
Yaaay

Just hoping that they reduce price by tonight. My car can give me a return trip to office for 1 more day only. So if they reduce tonight, I am gonna tank him up tomorrow !!
Old 16th December 2014, 11:34   #2414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This was the cost on the evening of 12/15.
Old 16th December 2014, 11:42   #2415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
This was the cost on the evening of 12/15.
Shell Petrol is now at 67.xx and Shell diesel is at 55.10 today morning in Bangalore( BS 3 prices might be further less)
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks