Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2015, 20:24   #2431
RSR
Senior - BHPian

re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Latest prices of Shell fuels across cities:

Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-image.jpg
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 20:39   #2432
BHPian

When I fill at Shell, there is no specific indication from the attendant that the fuel is Euro III or Euro IV. How to find it ? Is it okay to fill any type of fuel and I also do see a price difference of 55p per litre ?
Old 20th January 2015, 20:57   #2433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
When I fill at Shell, there is no specific indication from the attendant that the fuel is Euro III or Euro IV. How to find it ? Is it okay to fill any type of fuel and I also do see a price difference of 55p per litre ?
It's by the location: If I am correct, BIII fuel is available only in few pumps as mentioned at the bottom of that matrix. So, don't think there is way to ask to fill BIII or BIV.
Old 21st January 2015, 09:31   #2434
Senior - BHPian

Had to top up my motorcycle yesterday evening. Two Shell Pumps I visited had run out of regular gas. Is this a strategy to get rid of their super stuff and can two pumps actually run out of regular gas at around the same time?
Old 21st January 2015, 10:17   #2435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Had to top up my motorcycle yesterday evening. Two Shell Pumps I visited had run out of regular gas. Is this a strategy to get rid of their super stuff and can two pumps actually run out of regular gas at around the same time?
Yeah the same happened to me the day price dropped. I ended up filling at the neighboring IOC for 63.86 instead of shell @ 64.05
Old 21st January 2015, 11:06   #2436
Senior - BHPian

I also observed the same thing when I visited Shell fuel station on 15th to refuel my 2-wheeler.

No normal petrol, only super.

This is a bad move by Shell. They would not be able to sustain their operations by selling only premium fuel. Not many customers would be willing to shell (pun intended ) out extra 5 bucks per litre for their premium fuel.

Rohan
Old 21st January 2015, 12:30   #2437
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Agree to above. If they provide the SUL fuel for a premium of Rs.2, I would be ready to pay now that the fuel prices have come down.

I was a regular user of SUL when petrol prices were in the 50s. Could see a clear improvement in engine smoothness and additional 0.5kmpl mileage.
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:43   #2438
BHPian

Instead of trying to push 91 RON petrol with additives at higher prices, I feel it'd be better if they start offering 93 RON or higher petrol. I'm sure many people with performance bikes/cars would start filling it as there's an acute shortage of higher octane petrol. It'd be a pretty good hit in Bengaluru considering the number of high performance bikes here.
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:57   #2439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Horror of horrors. First time in nearly a year, filled up at Shell and not a peep from the attendant(s) about 'Super try maadi Saar'.

Regular Unleaded @64.95/ltr.
Same at Bellandur. They didn't even utter 'super try madi sir' this time around.

Now, shouldn't the price at Shell be lower than other bunks since the crude oil prices are lesser? I remember Shell selling diesel at market prices when the oil prices were higher, so shouldn't the same logic be applicable now?

Last edited by glenmz : 22nd January 2015 at 12:00.
Old 22nd January 2015, 14:15   #2440
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
.....shouldn't the price at Shell be lower than other bunks since the crude oil prices are lesser? I remember Shell selling diesel at market prices when the oil prices were higher, so shouldn't the same logic be applicable now?
I was beginning to wonder the same thing. Shell prices never stuck to OMC prices rigidly in the past, but now are conspicuously in the same range,+/- a few paise.

Curious.
Old 22nd January 2015, 14:31   #2441
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I was beginning to wonder the same thing. Shell prices never stuck to OMC prices rigidly in the past, but now are conspicuously in the same range,+/- a few paise.
Shell source its fuel from the same public sector refineries as public sector oil marketing firms. Hence, apart from operating costs there should not be any other change in price of both public sector bunks and Shell bunks.

Earlier, price for fuels in Shell bunk was higher since fuel through public sector bunks were subsidized.

However all said, I too feel instead of few paise higher Shell bunks should in current situation be logically having pricing put few paise lesser since they have limited distribution chain, located at prime locations. Which should equate to more sales / profit per bunk compared to similar public sector bunk.

May be the case is Shell does not feel the need to decrease fuel. Also, I don't think average buyer will be worried about few paise as long as fuel is not having any quality and quantity issues. So it could be a clever marketing strategy.
Old 22nd January 2015, 15:19   #2442
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Shell source its fuel from the same public sector refineries as public sector oil marketing firms......
I know Shell have always procured stock from OMCs in India. That's exactly what piqued my curiosity, because I've been a Shell customer for several years now and have seen Shell selling fuel both above and below OMC prices, but never in sync like they're doing now. I wonder what prompted the change.

Personally, I've been a Shell customer primarily for the peace of mind about fuel quality plus safe, prompt and polite service, not for the pricing.
Old 11th February 2015, 17:55   #2443
a2k
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Latest prices of Shell fuels across cities:
What is the difference between Euro III and Euro IV Shell fuels? I live in Chennai and we get only Euro4 here.
Old 12th February 2015, 14:54   #2444
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Shell Unleaded was Rs. 61.50 per litre in Chennai when I filled up a few days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2k View Post
What is the difference between Euro III and Euro IV Shell fuels? I live in Chennai and we get only Euro4 here.
Euro IV / BS IV fuels are supposed to have slightly different specifications (less sulphur content?) compared to Euro III / BS III ones, in order to enable the vehicles that run on them to meet the more stringent emission norms. It also costs slightly more to produce at the refinery level.

Vehicles registered in large cities have to meet the BS IV norms, and pumps within the limits of such cities are allowed to sell only the relevant fuels.

I believe Shell has many more outlets in Bengaluru than in Chennai. So they can afford to supply different fuels to pumps within Bengaluru city limits and those outside. The number of Shell outlets in and around Chennai is still in single digits (as far as I know). From a logistics perspective, I guess it makes little sense to supply BS III fuels to Shell outlets outside Chennai city limits.

This is actually a blessing in disguise for Shell customers in Chennai, as we get only BS IV fuels here, irrespective of the pump's location.

Folks in Bengaluru, on the other hand, are lucky to have more Shell outlets in their city! I'd like to see Shell double the number of their pumps in Chennai, as Reliance and Essar are also re-establishing/extending their retail presence.

Last edited by RSR : 12th February 2015 at 15:10.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2015, 11:30   #2445
RSR
Senior - BHPian

For folks in and around the Porur area, here's some good news for you!

Shell Porur has now opened an oil change facility for cars! This is in addition to the two-wheeler oil change facility they already have. Like the one at Shell Chromepet, the oil change, fluid/battery check & top-up and air filter cleaning is free - if you purchase the oil from them.

They also have a basic vehicle wash facility, but I don't know if this is a free service or not.

The downsides - sadly, they do not stock oil filters at the moment. So you'll have to purchase a suitable oil filter before you take your vehicle to them for the oil change. And unlike Shell Chromepet, they do not have a nice, cosy, air-conditioned waiting area attached to the facility.

This is the four-wheeler ramp/lift they have installed recently. It's a strange looking one, I haven't come across such a thing before. The canopy to the right is the two-wheeler oil change facility - I'm sorry for the poor quality of the photograph:

Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-image.jpg

Last edited by RSR : 21st February 2015 at 11:40.

Most Viewed