Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2020, 21:15   #2761
BHPian

Re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Recently posted my experience of diesel knocking on Innova Crysta 2.4 MT on another thread on knocking of Toyota engines and I am posting here again, since I feel the knocking was due to Shell fuel.

Quote:
Here's my story over injector rattling or diesel knocking.

I have taken my recently purchased Innova Crysta 2.4 MT on highway (had hardly covered 600 km by then) and the first thing on the highway was filling unleaded / normal diesel at a Shell Fuel pump. I have trusted Shell fuel for its quality (assuming no adulteration) and right quantity filling.

Within say 50 kms, I noticed this diesel engine knock or injector rattling or this "Automatic Rifle fire" kind of sound occurring every time I accelerate above 2000 rpm. I was unable to confidently drive > 80 or 90 kmph as the dreaded sound would be heard and I would be cursing myself whether I am hurting the engine. I had a vague feeling, whether this problem could be due to the fuel quality but I dismissed the thought due to my blind trust on Shell. I completed my journey but was still irked by this problem and the thought of having no explanation for that noise.

Later at night, blindly searching for keywords that describe this noise, i ended up on this thread. Since this thread's heading did not have innova crysta, I had never gone through this thread before. Reading this gave me solace since I felt I had similar problem (although the rattling noise that I heard started from 2000 rpm onward - maybe was this hurting the turbo spooler ?) and the statement that this problem could be alleviated by a simple ECU learning technique.

On my next highway journey 2 days later, and by then the fuel in my car's tank was less than 1/4 mark and hence I filled fuel from an ESSAR fuel station (if I had a choice, i fill at ESSAR) and carried on with the journey keeping my speed at less than 100 kmph. Since the price of diesel was Rs 2 more than that in my own state, i had just loaded some 20L only. But over a few minutes, the rattling noise was reduced and there was less vibration (that was subtly felt with the Shell's fuel) and as I progressed, the engine was more quick and responsive to my accelerator push. I therefore thought that as the old fuel was burnt and good diesel started flowing to the engine, the engine responded with healthy note, I wanted better confirmation of same thought and filled more ESSAR fuel and no surprise the engine was back to its smooth nature. Now happy that it was just due to adulterated / bad quality fuel from Shell.
cs_rajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 09:24   #2762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post

Contrary to what most have reported here, I felt the performance to be downgraded a bit. I can for sure feel that my duster is a bit sluggish now. Also, it now sounds like a truck at cold start, even though that gets better after a few kms, but still the noise after warm up is more than what it was when I was using regular diesel at my regular IOC pump.
I have faced similar issues with Shell V-power Diesel on my Scross. The car somehow feels happy with HP, Reliance and Shell normal diesel.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 10:35   #2763
Senior - BHPian

My car and bike have been running only on Shell V Power petrol, known as Super unleaded earlier, for more than a decade. The difference was a couple of rupees more than normal fuel initially, but kept on increasing. The increase was steep after it became V Power, and is Rs 8.00 per litre now. So in recent times I was mulling about changing to normal petrol. I thought I will initially fill in the bike and observe. So I filled a few tankfuls of normal petrol before the next service became due. Last week I took it for service to my trusted mechanic, (he knows I use only Shell V Power and Helix engine oils!)and wanted to see if he notices any difference. If he didn't, I will continue with normal unleaded, and switch for the car also.

When he drained the engine oil, I handed over a fresh can of Ultra. He muttered the old oil was darker than usual and I kept quiet! He finished the other jobs and finally removed the spark plug for cleaning. He turned towards me and remarked "Anna, I have never seen noticeable carbon in your plug before, it needed hardly any cleaning, but this time there is carbon build up and this plug needs cleaning. Have you been filling fuel at some different place?'

Then I told him about the switch to normal unleaded and he said "please go back to whatever fuel you regularly filled. Nobody can say this is a twenty year old bike, please maintain it that way!". But the moment I saw the spark plug, I had already decided no more normal unleaded for me!
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 11:44   #2764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
. I will switch back to my normal fuel from next tank full onwards.
Switched back to regular IOC diesel from my trusted pump, and dusty is back to normal. No more sluggish feel, no more black smoke (on hard acceleration in 3rd gear), no more truck like sound (even post warm up).
Old 28th January 2020, 15:08   #2765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I always use V Power petrol, but it will not be possible when I go to Trichy from time to time. During those occassions I fill BP Power (93) petrol from the TVS pump there, and resume V Power after returning to Chennai. Absolutely no issues. That BP petrol is fully as good as V Power, and a few rupees cheaper as well.
Sir, where exactly is this pump? I travel to Theni / Madurai every 2-3 months and usually fuel up in Tiruchi, I normally use the large IOCL bunk near the NH (on the left side towards Dindugal)

In other news - I was near Wavin signal yesterday and saw a new shell outlet coming up right next to it. I think a massive BP bunk is coming opposite it.
Old 29th January 2020, 09:00   #2766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Sir, where exactly is this pump?
TVS BP Petrol Pump, the location name is TVS Toll Plaza.
Old 23rd February 2020, 08:29   #2767
Distinguished - BHPian

For those in JP Nagar, Bangalore and who use Shell -
There is a new one coming up near Elita Promenade:

https://goo.gl/maps/eLX1rBVhBfLMDPJQ9
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 17:01   #2768
BHPian

All in Hyderabad,

Shell has finally reopened their fuel station at Uppal!!! It has been a long time waiting.

Just wanted to let all of us know.

Regards
Bharath
Old 23rd February 2020, 17:51   #2769
BHPian

Hi, I have seen everyone praising shell fuel . In Punjab I haven't seen shell fuel outlets . I would I like to know how or why shell fuel is considered better than B.P, Indian oil ,Essar or Reliance. In my experience I mostly fill Reliance or Essar. The difference I notice is after filling Reliance diesel when you start in the morning the engine latter is less than after filling Essar or other fuels. But I think fuel efficiency is more on Essar diesel. But the FNG guys say Reliance fuel being dry is harmful in long run.Regarding petrol I haven't noticed any significant difference in N.V levels.
Old 23rd February 2020, 18:34   #2770
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
Hi, I have seen everyone praising shell fuel . In Punjab I haven't seen shell fuel outlets . I would I like to know how or why shell fuel is considered better than B.P, Indian oil ,Essar or Reliance. In my experience I mostly fill Reliance or Essar.
Not necessarily always better, but the general opinion - clean & not adultrated. The facilities are well kept.

However, I find IOC or Reliance better suited to my Tata's and I prefer these. I have been seeing this point since the time Shell came to India, and is not something new. Shell is for the rare occasion when I dont have much choices. IOC is generally every where.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 21:43   #2771
Senior - BHPian

Fuel at Shell bunk today in Bangalore is at Rs. 77.90. No sign of reprieve.
Old 6th April 2020, 00:02   #2772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Fuel at Shell bunk today in Bangalore is at Rs. 77.90. No sign of reprieve.
At IOC it was ₹ 73.55 Per Litre for regular Petrol
Old 6th April 2020, 10:27   #2773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
For those in JP Nagar, Bangalore and who use Shell -
There is a new one coming up near Elita Promenade:

https://goo.gl/maps/eLX1rBVhBfLMDPJQ9
This is operational now since a couple of weeks, and happy to report that it is literally a stones thrown away from my house.

In these times of lockdown it has been a real boon for me to just drive out of my lane, turn right, and presto, I am at the Shell bunk. I have hence had no issues topping up both my cars to the brim (for any emergency situation) and going once every 8-10 days and making sure all tires are inflated to optimum pressure. I am a bit paranoid about having a full tank of fuel and proper air pressure, especially during times like these, and this Shell bunk has come as a godsend.
Old 9th May 2020, 22:33   #2774
Distinguished - BHPian

Have Shell switched to BS6 diesel after the deadline? I asked an attendant if the diesel was BS6 and she had no clue about it, not a surprise since I was expecting too much. There is no official info either. I searched for some news and only found the articles related to the PSUs HP, BP and IOC switching completely to BS6 fuels. Anyway I filled for a relatively small amount and left the place. Will stick to Bharat Petroleum since they have converted to BS6 sometime back and no point in visiting Shell.
Old 9th May 2020, 23:00   #2775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Have Shell switched to BS6 diesel after the deadline? I asked an attendant if the diesel was BS6 and she had no clue about it, not a surprise since I was expecting too much. There is no official info either. I searched for some news and only found the articles related to the PSUs HP, BP and IOC switching completely to BS6 fuels.
Wasn't it a mandate for all oil companies to switch to BS6 from 1st April 2020? A friend of mine who owns a Reliance outlet has confirmed they started receiving BS6 stocks from Dec'19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks