Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2022, 06:11   #2821
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

They're all coming from Mangalore refinery. Just branding is different
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Shell has better quality control.
I trust COCO pumps of HP, IOC, BP. But I dont have access to one nearby. I have noticed COCO pumps are mostly found in highways and less in cities. On road trips I mostly tank up as COCO pumps. Not saying that all private PSU pumps are bad, just that I dont want to take chances when I have better option available - even if that costs few rupees more per litre.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 07:49   #2822
BHPian

Does anyone know if Shell has refinery in India or does it imports the fuel? Or are we getting PSU refinery oil branded as Shell?
Old 12th May 2022, 09:52   #2823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatDiesel View Post
Does anyone know if Shell has refinery in India or does it imports the fuel? Or are we getting PSU refinery oil branded as Shell?
Atleast in Karnataka they are getting supplies from MRPL which is owned by ONGC
_chikku is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 10:59   #2824
BHPian

All the Oil marketing companies source their fuel from nearest refineries. Even the private ones. The differentiating factor is the quantity and quality at dealer level is maintained with Shell and Reliance which is a hit or miss with the PSU dealers.

Though there are good pumps overall in PSU dealer network it is purely luck if we are filling up in an unknown territory. But with Shell no need to worry about the that. Only pain point is the cost and upselling of some products.

I prefer filling up in Shell as a full tank in a month would cost about Rs.300 more and in ten yrs of ownership Rs.36000 more which goes a long way in maintaining the engine.
aadya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 12:43   #2825
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
They're all coming from Mangalore refinery. Just branding is different
I know that shell does not have refinery in India and they get source from MRPL. I was taking about quality control that happens after refinery - ie to prevent adulteration and maintain quality of fuel
mxx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 21:46   #2826
BHPian

Went to fill diesel in my car in a Shell outlet this morning. The attendant said that diesel price is circa 136/litre

Quickly escaped from that outlet and filled full tank in a IOCL fuel pump for 94/litre.

Wonder what the Shell guys are thinking!
searacer932 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 22:26   #2827
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I had the same experience. I filled Diesel at BP COCO, Kognoli at Rs. 88.46 per liter. Later while checking the price at Shell, Belagavi City, I was told the price of diesel is ~Rs. 125. So diesel prices are more than petrol prices at Shell now. See here
Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-shellprice.jpg
pjbiju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 10:01   #2828
Senior - BHPian

Unleaded petrol at Shell is approx Rs.11 more per litre than PSUs and Diesel is approx Rs.38 more per litre at Shell.
Now, I seriously doubt the business viability and existence of Shell.
As a consumer, paying Rs.2-Rs.5 more per litre for quality is still acceptable. But this difference is way off. I think unless there is some serious govt intervention (which may not come), the fuel business will be at the mercy of PSUs and private players will be systemically shut out.
Was not surprised to see no one at the Shell pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-img_20220703_110411.jpg  

Last edited by hrman : 9th July 2022 at 10:03.
hrman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 13:53   #2829
BHPian

Are they out of their minds? Rs 38 more

Even considering their 100% trust level, quality etc, I will be shocked if anyone is filling diesel at shell unless fuel tank is near empty or in an emergency!.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 15:31   #2830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
. I think unless there is some serious govt intervention (which may not come), the fuel business will be at the mercy of PSUs and private players will be systemically shut
Ironically its govt intervention that is stopping psu oil companies to jack up prices as per market price. Shell reliance and nyarra are retailing at market price. Psu's have been told off the record to bear the losses for now.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 16:32   #2831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Unleaded petrol at Shell is approx Rs.11 more per litre than PSUs and Diesel is approx Rs.38 more per litre at Shell.
Curious to know from the experts as to why Diesel is more expensive compared to Petrol in India(I understand that is how it is globally). In current Indian scenario, are we subsidising diesel so much(10-15 rs cheaper than petrol at PSU outlets) ?
Old 10th July 2022, 06:20   #2832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Shell reliance and nyarra are retailing at market price. Psu's have been told off the record to bear the losses for now.
In Maharashtra Reliance Diesel is atleast 5 Rs more expensive than PSUs.
Old 10th July 2022, 10:26   #2833
BHPian

Most of the shell petrol bunks in Chennai have closed. I hope it’s temporary.

On a recent highway trip within Tamil Nadu, I visited Reliance - Reliance fuel has been my favourite fuel for a couple of years now. Both Petrol and diesel were Rs 9 more expensive than PSUs - but the difference much less than Shell.

I’ve heard from company sources that Shell and Reliance have exactly the same source for petrol and diesel, but each mix their own blend of additives.

I haven’t been using PSU’s for quite a while now. My first preference has been Reliance and then Shell as Reliance doesn’t have bunks in Chennai city.

Now that I am forced to go to PSU’s there’s most definitely a perceivable difference in performance in both my petrol and diesel cars. The cars do feel sluggish and also are giving less mileage. This could be due to the fact that PSU’s add ethanol.

The thing that I am worried about is - with the difference of prices between PSUs and private bunks - and where I think private bunks offer better service and quality of fuel - is this a government tactic of forcing private fuel bunks to close shop?

Prices of fuel in Chennai as on 9th July:

PSU - diesel - 94.24, petrol 102.63
Shell - 132.2, 116.69
Reliance - 99.27, 109.70

I definitely wouldn’t mind paying the difference with Reliance, but not with shell being almost rs 40 more for diesel!

Last edited by thirdmainroad : 10th July 2022 at 10:45.
thirdmainroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 23:32   #2834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpat17 View Post
In Maharashtra Reliance Diesel is atleast 5 Rs more expensive than PSUs.
And the point being? Its bound to be expensive as psu's are not allowed as of now to jack up prices in line with global trends.
Old 14th August 2022, 12:32   #2835
BHPian

Yesterday we went into Shell pump for refueling Ertiga diesel in Chennai. We knew that it will be expensive than usual pumps but to our surprise it was 132 rupees per litre , costlier than their petrol which was 116. We have then decided not to go for it considering ridiculous difference in price. The price at other pumps is less than 100.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks