Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2009, 22:02   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
I was also using IOC normal diesel in my Swift DDiS for the last 10 months and did a couple of tankfills with Shell normal diesel after the price drop recently. Atleast, I am feeling that the car is more smoother now compared to IOC normal diesel. Probably, other DDiS folks currently using IOC normal diesel can try out Shell and let me know your feedback.
To check just concentrate on your car's RPM needle(once engine is warm enough) and see if it wobbles slightly at idle with IOC and then compare it with Shell. A lesser/non-wobbling needle means better burn, a better burn means better quality fuel.

Secondly check your FE.
Old 20th February 2009, 22:36   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sumit Bhatti View Post
Besides the points many BHP-ians have already noticed, here are some more interesting facts:
1. All Shell outlets are COCO's. Labour Contractors are from hospitality industry, not Petrol Dealers.
I am not sure of this point. I fill at one Shell pump at Hinjewadi in Pune and the bill has Avigna Enterprises written at top of the bill
Old 21st February 2009, 08:06   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
To check just concentrate on your car's RPM needle(once engine is warm enough) and see if it wobbles slightly at idle with IOC and then compare it with Shell. A lesser/non-wobbling needle means better burn, a better burn means better quality fuel.

Secondly check your FE.
Unfortunately, mine being a Swift LDi, car does not have RPM meter. But will see the mileage again. During my last refill at Shell, I got almost the same mileage as IOC normal ~20.5 kmpl on highway with a/c
Old 21st February 2009, 11:49   #289
BHPian

Is there any Shell Outlet in Madurai ?

Google Map is showing one in Avaniapuram.
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:15   #290
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
What is the price of Shell diesel and petrol in Chennai? Any idea?
Chennai prices:
Diesel : 32.82
Petrol: 44.26 (IOC petrol is 44.24 for comparison)

In comparison, Bangalore prices are:
Diesel: 35.00
Petrol: 46.75
Old 24th February 2009, 00:19   #291
BHPian

More about Shell in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Dr. Bhatti, you seem to be well aware of Shell, I am not going to ask how but appreciate some more info on their operations here.(if you can)

- Do they buy crude from MRPL or the end product itself.
- How do they monitor their quality, if MRPL refines the crude for them.
- Do you have the Shell Diesel Fuel specifications(Cetane, Lubricity, cloud point etc etc), the pumps only have for petrol.
Shell India procures petrol and diesel from the following sources:
1. MRPL (Mangalore Refineries and Petrochemicals Ltd.), a subsidiary of ONGC (4 + 2 year agreement renewed in October 2007).
2. Reliance Petroleum / Reliance Energy Ltd.
3. Essar.
4. Import: from it's 4,30,000 bpd (barrels per day) Bukom Refinery in Singapore.
In spite of being the third largest oil company in the world, Royal Dutch Shell produces only 3% of the worlds' crude and also it is usually cheaper to buy product locally rather than to import product into the country; and also due to the fact that Shell India has very few outlets in India at present.

The terminal at JNPT (Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust) supplies the west zone. There is another supply terminal at Mangalore. Another potential import point for petrol and diesel is to it's US $ 650 million Hazira Port (2.5 to 10 mtpa) LNG Terminal in Gujrat built on BOT (build, operate, transfer) basis for a 35-year period.

Proprietary Shell additives are added at these facilities and quality checks are carried out there.

Shell Diesel specifications have not been formally released but will definitely meet or exceed industry standards. Patented Shell technology is used in the production process at MRPL. Shell also helped build the Reliance refinery at Jamnagar.
Old 24th February 2009, 09:57   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Chennai prices:
Diesel : 32.82
Petrol: 44.26 (IOC petrol is 44.24 for comparison)

In comparison, Bangalore prices are:
Diesel: 35.00
Petrol: 46.75
Thanks hrag. I think it makes immense sense to tank up on Shell only. Even if on has to drive 5 km to get to the bunk. I am going to do exactly that on my Ikon D that I'm getting this week/next week.
Old 24th February 2009, 10:04   #293
Team-BHP Support

Hyderabad new bunk on the road between Tolichowki and HiTech city.

Rough location
Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!
Old 24th February 2009, 15:05   #294
BHPian

The last time (2 weeks back) I filled at a Shell Bunk in Rabale, Navi Mumbai, price for Shell Super was Rs. 47.95/-.

Not sure if its only a perception, the car really flies on Shell. Even Power and Speed don't do the trick. Shell Super rocks, IMHO.
Old 24th February 2009, 16:28   #295
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
The last time (2 weeks back) I filled at a Shell Bunk in Rabale, Navi Mumbai, price for Shell Super was Rs. 47.95/-.

Not sure if its only a perception, the car really flies on Shell. Even Power and Speed don't do the trick. Shell Super rocks, IMHO.

You are right. I too can feel the difference in my car.
But the main difference in the ride quality was when i filled my 10 year old bike with Shell Super. the engine stop at signals and starting problem in morning has reduced drastically. Engine feels much smoother with shell super!!!
SHELL SUPER ROCKS!!!
Old 24th February 2009, 16:54   #296
Senior - BHPian

Shell claim one gets better FE by using Shell Super, of course I experienced the same 1 year back itself, vehicle will become super smooth and better pick up with extra FE I am not sure about present scenario.

From next month I plan to start Shell Super in my Alto, right now using Shell Normal from last 2+ months.

Regards,

Ravi.

PS I am waiting for one more price cut If crude settles around 35$ in near future if demand falls which is very much possible If recession intensifies more and Market crashes another 40% from this levels which is very much possible.

Last edited by ravibhat : 24th February 2009 at 16:56.
Old 24th February 2009, 18:41   #297
BHPian

I just got my verna filled with Shell Diesel and while chatting with the sales guy at the counter, he told me that next month onwards, the price is set to drop more. He was not sure but he indicated by a 1.50 rs.

Now my Verna is giving me 18 FE in city without AC. Long Live Shell.
Old 24th February 2009, 21:43   #298
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Thanks hrag. I think it makes immense sense to tank up on Shell only. Even if on has to drive 5 km to get to the bunk. I am going to do exactly that on my Ikon D that I'm getting this week/next week.
Proxima, I'm so sorry - I gave you slightly outdated prices for diesel in Chennai. Here are the latest prices as per my records:

Chennai prices:
Diesel : 33.95 (15FEB2009)
Petrol: 44.66 (22FEB2009)

Bangalore prices:
Diesel: 35.00 (13FEB2009)
Petrol: 46.75 (20FEB2009)
Old 25th February 2009, 06:22   #299
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
PS I am waiting for one more price cut If crude settles around 35$ in near future if demand falls which is very much possible If recession intensifies more and Market crashes another 40% from this levels which is very much possible.
You actually want all this? Dude, if this happens then we wont be left with our jobs and hence no money to fuel up our tanks!!!
Old 25th February 2009, 07:30   #300
BHPian

In Mumbai Premium Diesel is priced at 36.95
And they dont keep Normal Diesel,am talking about the Shell Pump at Aeroli on thane Belapur Road

Most Viewed