Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 11:25   #751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I think Shell costs less in Karnataka than in any other state right now. Not necessarily Bangalore alone.
That is a great news Gansan. finally we are paying less for the fuel.
Old 30th June 2010, 11:56   #752
BHPian

Filled Shell Super two days ago @58 per liter. Shell Super seems to give me a slightly better mileage (around 1 km more to the liter).
Old 30th June 2010, 12:02   #753
BHPian

Well, now that things are leveling out its back to shell for me. Thank heavens. I was getting quite sick of this PSU pump nonsense. More than once I've almost run my car dry because I did not want to fill up just anywhere. And I fill for about Rs 800 at a time because of inconsistencies in quality at the so called trusted pumps.
Old 1st July 2010, 20:52   #754
BHPian

I have been using BP normal petrol till now. with the difference being < 1.5 Rs now, I plan to switch to shell. Can I mix half-tank fuels for shell with BP? Both are normal petrol.
Old 1st July 2010, 20:55   #755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay-JS View Post
That is a great news Gansan. finally we are paying less for the fuel.
Hey, that was no news. Shell prices have always been the lowest in your state, among the three southern states at least!
Old 1st July 2010, 21:37   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Hey, that was no news. Shell prices have always been the lowest in your state, among the three southern states at least!
It is news (probably realization) for me. I always thought the shell prices were proportional to the BP/IOC rates; i.e., 10 - 15% higher.
Old 2nd July 2010, 00:08   #757
Senior - BHPian

Does this mean the the prices of Shell are still no equalled the normal pumps even post the de-regulation stand?

Can someone explain as to how much is the difference in Chennai?

BTW, what is the price update of REliance, are they atleast selling at the regular pumps rates.
Old 5th July 2010, 14:56   #758
Senior - BHPian

Was at Shell Semmanchery (OMR) at about 6:30 PM yesterday, but it was closed (have they closed down?!!). So headed to Shell Pallikaranai (Velachery)and tanked up Diesel @ 46.95 per liter (Difference between PSU is Rs. 6.90 per liter!).

Chennai folks - Are there any Reliance / Essar bunks in the city / outskirts? How are the prices there? And quality?
Old 6th July 2010, 15:07   #759
gou
BHPian

Is reliance selling petrol now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Does this mean the the prices of Shell are still no equalled the normal pumps even post the de-regulation stand?

Can someone explain as to how much is the difference in Chennai?

BTW, what is the price update of REliance, are they atleast selling at the regular pumps rates.
Shell prices are still higher around Re. 1 in Bangalore, so I guess it will be even higher in Chennai.

Reliance pumps I guess do not sell petrol at all now. Of course, they were the best of the lot. Earlier, everytime I would go out of Bangalore I would fill from Reliance and I could clearly feel the difference in revving my Santro. Also mileage would be better.

Can anyone update whether Reliance is selling petrol now, after de-regularization?
Old 6th July 2010, 15:40   #760
BHPian

I filled Petrol at Rs 61.50 a lltre on Sunday at Porur Shell Pump, Chennai.
Old 6th July 2010, 15:58   #761
BHPian

The deregulation of prices happened for the sake of private companies. Just the way the prices of daily consumption items went up when BigBazaar and the whole lot came, it will happen for oil too. Now the govt. will start talking about divestment in PSU oil companies so that Reliance and the like can buy into them. Post that the talk about level playing field and so on will no more be heard. Heard of oil cartels? They are an imminent threat.
Old 6th July 2010, 16:21   #762
Senior - BHPian

Near Hubli I saw one Mangalore Petrochemicals Limited retail outlet .
Does the refinery sell fuel directly and what are the prices?
Old 6th July 2010, 16:36   #763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay-JS View Post
No. There is no price hike in shell. It is still 59.50. They are playing fair. Now the prices are nearly same in all the bunks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Well, now that things are leveling out its back to shell for me. Thank heavens. I was getting quite sick of this PSU pump nonsense. More than once I've almost run my car dry because I did not want to fill up just anywhere. And I fill for about Rs 800 at a time because of inconsistencies in quality at the so called trusted pumps.
I was just thinking about this and that brought to a question..

Now that the deregularisation has happened, all of the previous shell buyers including me are happy.
Like Roy.S I've also almost run my car dry because I did not want to fill up just anywhere-"I swear by shell"

My question here is: Why is shell still costlier than others?

Agreed that the quality is good and you can feel a much better drive.
Even then, It should be very near to others and not 1.5 ruppes more I feel. Where is the question of playing fair then?
As far as the value added service is concerned, nowadays I have to request for a windshield wipe which used to be voluntary earlier and even HP gives that service.
If this trend picks up other fuel companies may charge more in some pumps if there are no other pumps nearby...

Has this question crossed anybody else's mind and does anybody have answers for this?
Old 6th July 2010, 16:50   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

My question here is: Why is shell still costlier than others?

Agreed that the quality is good and you can feel a much better drive.
Even then, It should be very near to others and not 1.5 ruppes more I feel. Where is the question of playing fair then?
Profit my friend , Shell does not have refinery in India they buy from MRPL and just retail. So logically their margins should be thinner then Reliance , Essar , HPCL , BPCL and IOC.

Since thier USP is unadultrated fuel in correct quantity so thier retail outlets need to make money somehow.

BTW I have not observed any benefit of Shell in my Safari it just works fine as long as Diesel is free of Kerosene.
Old 6th July 2010, 17:23   #765
BHPian

Mods. Time to edit the title. Update: Coming down now. :-)

Murthy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks