Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:37   #1201
BHPian

re: Shell fuel price discussion thread. Update: Going down cheaper than PSU's.

I have never filled petrol at a Shell station. I wanted to know whether its worth spending so much extra? Is it for better mileage or is it because it keeps the engine in good condition(as it might have less impurities). I just wanted to know what is the difference between Shell petrol and a PSU petrol
Old 3rd May 2011, 15:54   #1202
Senior - BHPian

Quality and quantity is assured that is it. Other than that I did not observe any difference in performance/smoothness. Same thing is assured at most of the PSU COCO stations also. I fill from Shell/Indian oil COCO station near my house (suggested by a TBHPian).
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:05   #1203
Distinguished - BHPian

@Saanil, there are 2 reasons I buy from Shell:

1. They never engage in that cheap game called "Divert and deceive" practiced by virtually all the PSU petrol pumps in Pune (and almost certainly in other cities as well).
2. Refer 1.

If there's anything I hate, it's being ripped off out of my hard earned money. Don't care how much the amount is.

As Latheesh says, not much difference in quality between Shell and the good PSU pumps; however, on occasion I have had problems of excessive noise and lack of smoothness when I filled in what I suspect was adulaterated fuel at PSU pumps that I usually don't fill at. Shell Super (unleaded + additives) is what I usually fill in, 2/- premium on regular unleaded but I have found that it gives me better refinement and mileage than regular.

Last edited by noopster : 3rd May 2011 at 16:11.
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:08   #1204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I have never filled petrol at a Shell station. I wanted to know whether its worth spending so much extra? Is it for better mileage or is it because it keeps the engine in good condition(as it might have less impurities). I just wanted to know what is the difference between Shell petrol and a PSU petrol
The difference between eating at a good restaurant and at roadside dhabas! Avoid the dhaba, unless you know it to be a hygienic one.
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:43   #1205
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Visiting a PSU pump is not so pleasant an experience, they treat u almost like if they are doing a favour to you. Shell guys have some decency and treat you like a customer. Overall its a nice feeling( and safe) to drive into a shell pump as at PSU places, they herd you and your car like cattle. Hope PSU guys raise their prices and the difference between shell normal and premium PSU comes back to 0 or so
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:51   #1206
Senior - BHPian

+

Free windshield cleaning+free air
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:56   #1207
BHPian

I think so it is worth trying to fill up the tank once at SHELL and see the difference. I completely agree with the attittude of the PSU pumps. I am not saying all pumps are like that but most of the pumps I have been too, the guys were indifferent. But I have not observed a SHELL petrol pump near my area. Can someone suggest me a SHELL pump around Goregaon ( or Andheri to Bandra area as I frequently go to these areas)
Old 3rd May 2011, 18:11   #1208
BHPian

Guys, i am in a dilemma actually. Used to fill Shell regularly and car used to give a mileage of between 14-15kmpl. Price increased from 68 per litre to 72!! so i changed over to BP Speed at HSR. Mileage dropped to around 12.5 kmpl!!
changed over to Shell again. Mileage again dropped to nearly 12 kmpl. Now stuck again to shell paying 74.95, nearly 10 rs more than PSU petrol. Have to see how car behaves!

Car feels so smooth with shell. FE is also great. But a difference of 10rs!! I dunno what to do

Either i have to give up Shell for some time and stick to PSU premium fuel for sometime to see if FE remains consistent or blindly go for Shell.
Old 3rd May 2011, 18:36   #1209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
Guys, i am in a dilemma actually. Used to fill Shell regularly and car used to give a mileage of between 14-15kmpl. Price increased from 68 per litre to 72!! so i changed over to BP Speed at HSR. Mileage dropped to around 12.5 kmpl!!
changed over to Shell again. Mileage again dropped to nearly 12 kmpl. Now stuck again to shell paying 74.95, nearly 10 rs more than PSU petrol. Have to see how car behaves!

Car feels so smooth with shell. FE is also great. But a difference of 10rs!! I dunno what to do

Either i have to give up Shell for some time and stick to PSU premium fuel for sometime to see if FE remains consistent or blindly go for Shell.
Which car do you use?

I wonder if there are many who report that big a diff. (~3kmpl) between Shell and PSU. And the mileage dropped further when you switched back to Shell?

Premium isn't recommended for all vehicles; nor does it help improving FE.
Old 3rd May 2011, 19:55   #1210
BHPian

I own i10 1.2 Kappa Sportz Libranof1987.

I found it quite strange that on switching to BP, FE dropped to around 12.5 kmpl from say 14.9 kmpl!

And let me put it this way: FE did not improve on switching back to Shell. Rather it went down a bit.

Shell Pumps are not known for cheating. And the BP pump at HSR, i heard, has a good reputation. And i tried Speed because i wanted a fuel which is as close to shell as possible in quality

As far as the difference in FE is concerned, let me say, i have previously got a difference of 1 kmpl between PSU normal and PSU premium fuel.
I used to get around 13.5 with PSU fuel. Moved to shell and started getting around 14.5 to 14.9 kmpl. So its not a huge jump in FE actually.

My worry is, on switching back to PSU fuel after quite some time, why FE dropped? Could the quality of PSU fuel that i got this time be bad/adulterated?

Last edited by iPai : 3rd May 2011 at 19:56. Reason: Corrected Typo errors
Old 3rd May 2011, 20:08   #1211
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
I own i10 1.2 Kappa Sportz Libranof1987.

I found it quite strange that on switching to BP, FE dropped to around 12.5 kmpl from say 14.9 kmpl!

And let me put it this way: FE did not improve on switching back to Shell. Rather it went down a bit.

Shell Pumps are not known for cheating. And the BP pump at HSR, i heard, has a good reputation. And i tried Speed because i wanted a fuel which is as close to shell as possible in quality

As far as the difference in FE is concerned, let me say, i have previously got a difference of 1 kmpl between PSU normal and PSU premium fuel.
I used to get around 13.5 with PSU fuel. Moved to shell and started getting around 14.5 to 14.9 kmpl. So its not a huge jump in FE actually.

My worry is, on switching back to PSU fuel after quite some time, why FE dropped? Could the quality of PSU fuel that i got this time be bad/adulterated?
No doubt Shell has much better quality than PSU fuel; so that could explain the rise in FE. About the drop again, I feel that must be just co-incidental with other factors.

PSU premium fuel is not comparable in quality with Shell regular/premium; it just has a higher octane no. So, the reason why you fill PSU premium is not correct.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, premium fuel is not meant for every car; I've known people to have even reported slightly low FE on using premium fuel.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 20:12   #1212
BHPian

Hmmm, if the FE comes back to the usual range of 14-15kmpl then i will try to stick with Shell as long as my wallet doesn't complain libranof1987!!

Because with Shell the car feels much more refined!!
Old 4th May 2011, 09:06   #1213
BANNED

Visiting shell is much more peace of mind, no chance of getting conned and also ample space. PSU pumps are arrogant most of the time i have experienced. If it was not for this huge difference now, shell will be the preferred vendor. That said, difference is only 3 Rs in shell normal and PSU premium, which is not that much considering the value i get.
Old 4th May 2011, 09:19   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Price of diesel at Shell is 61 rupees. That is just too much in my opinion.
Old 4th May 2011, 18:54   #1215
BHPian

I might be doing a repeat here, but, can someone help me understand whether an SHELL NORMAL Unleaded petrol, if used in a car who's manufacturer recommends 91 grade petrol, void the warranty?

Car: Fabia 1.6 2011 (counting days to delivery!)
Fuel station options: Shell @Bommanahalli & IOC company pump. (prefer shell though)

Set off to book the car after the sales guy told me that normal unleaded is what the car needs, but another fellow bhpian just provided me with photo proof that the manufacturer recommends 91 grade. :-( Now, that means, I'm gonna have to shell out another 400rs for every tank up. Oops !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks