Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2010, 03:31   #676
BHPian

Not saying Shell is bad, but you do have other good options...........

Hi guys,

I was wondering what is the big deal about Shell, except they have fancy service, which i agree is a welcoming factor.

I use Shell, IO and HP and nothing else, and i did not notice any difference among the 3 (considering i am extremely sensitive feeling any power difference)

Tier 1 HP stations offer oil testing machine by which you can test the fuel quality. Does Shell offer such a service? or is it your blind faith that you have developed due to bright fancy Dutch lights ?

Personally, i found HP the best, followed by IO and Shell (note- negligible difference in performance)

So if you have a problem with Shell being too expensive, you should be switching to HP or IO - good for you and good for our PSU. If you are sleepy at the pump, then yes, you can get cheated - so be alert and you will be just fine.

Recently, US Govt has pressured Indian companies not to buy oil from Iran (sanctions), and companies like Reliance have complied. This is one of the contributing factor for price rise. They win, we suffer.

Last edited by aerohit : 22nd April 2010 at 03:38.
Old 22nd April 2010, 04:08   #677
Senior - BHPian

@aerohit, am not sure if your drive is a Diesel or a Petrol. I drive a Getz CRDi, and I definitely feel a marked difference with Shell Diesel compared to Diesel filled from a PSU fuel station. True, I have filled in a PSU pump only 2 or 3 times in my 18,000 KM - but that was enough to tell me where I fill matters. Maybe I have not filled in at the right fuel station, but there are a few more who would concur with me - there are Getz CRDi owners from Bangalore who have said they too find a marked difference, especially on the turbo lag (reduced lag), when filling at Shell.
Old 22nd April 2010, 04:56   #678
BHPian

hi, i was talking about Petrol, no experience with Diesel.
Old 22nd April 2010, 08:04   #679
BHPian

I would anyday prefer to go with Shell because :

1. Assured quality of fuel - ive seen them thoroughly checking the incoming tankers, each individual tank before it goes into their storage tanks.

2. Assured service at every bunk with standard procedures across all locations within Blore & outside. Cleanliness maintained too.

3. Company owned bunks, only labour charges are paid to the operators

4. CCTV coverage to ensure safety.

5. Availability of the store with relevant items - detailing items, water , magazines, juices etc

6. Oil change for bikes without any labour charges (I have my oil changes done for my scooter)

7. Engine smoothness & fuel consumption, i definitely feel a difference when compared to the average PSU bunk. However there are some exceptional PSU bunks too, safe to fill up at.

2. Strange thing ive noticed - i don't get any diesel/petrol fuel fumes when i go to Shell, the air smells clean - most of the PSU bunks smell, some stink like hell with the fumes.

A close friend of mine used to work for Shell & he explained me the lengths to which they go to ensure that fuel is not tampered with. Even the locks they use on the tanks have been imported at a huge cost it seems.
Old 22nd April 2010, 12:08   #680
Senior - BHPian

The Shell petrol pump in Mangalore has closed we used to fill in once in a while here when prices were comparable!

In Mangalore normal petrol costs 52.92 compared to Shell 59.00 odd (for Euro IV normal) No wonder the petrol bunk is closed after the price hike!

Last edited by recshenoy : 22nd April 2010 at 12:09.
Old 22nd April 2010, 14:28   #681
BANNED

Expect about Rs.7 on Petrol and 6 or Diesel immediately after the parliament session is over. Then all private pumps should also become economically viable.
Old 22nd April 2010, 15:42   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Expect about Rs.7 on Petrol and 6 or Diesel immediately after the parliament session is over. Then all private pumps should also become economically viable.
What Why for God's sake ? The rates are high enough as it is and I just read in today Eco times that food inflation is at 17.65 % due to high fuel prices.
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:41   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
@aerohit, am not sure if your drive is a Diesel or a Petrol. I drive a Getz CRDi, and I definitely feel a marked difference with Shell Diesel compared to Diesel filled from a PSU fuel station. True, I have filled in a PSU pump only 2 or 3 times in my 18,000 KM - but that was enough to tell me where I fill matters. Maybe I have not filled in at the right fuel station, but there are a few more who would concur with me - there are Getz CRDi owners from Bangalore who have said they too find a marked difference, especially on the turbo lag (reduced lag), when filling at Shell.

Hi @ ph03nix ,,

I too own a Getz CRDI in Bangalore ..and used to fill up at SHELL only untill the price hike. After that I started to fill up from the company operated outlets and keep a watch for the fellows who fill the fuel and I think it should be pretty safe. I have not found any drastic difference between SHELL & COCO outlets. May be with other outlets, the quality and quantity would be questionable..

These are my observations.
Old 25th April 2010, 15:44   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
can't understand what Shell's strategy is. Have they closed down temporarily or permanently???
Shell is temporarily suspending retailing at low selling/ isolated outlets and not commissioning new outlets to avoid operational losses due to the current uneven playing field and lack of subsidy.
Old 26th April 2010, 01:36   #685
Senior - BHPian

^^^I understand that, but I find it strange that they did not foresee all these problems before entering into this business?! Any, I'll be v glad that if they are only temporarily suspending operations...
Old 27th April 2010, 01:11   #686
BHPian

The Unforseen !

In 1995, Shell was part of the 'R' Group. Here is some interesting reading on the sequence of events over the past 15 years:

http://www.petroleumbazaar.com/Admin...ols/A05-97.pdf (Please scroll down for the English version of the Gazette)

http://petroleum.nic.in/Report1.pdf

http://petroleum.nic.in/reportprice.pdf
Old 27th April 2010, 06:55   #687
Senior - BHPian

But one thing I have noticed - when my bike hits reserve and I fill petrol after running another 30 Km or so, it will take in between 10 - 10.5 litres in Shell. But it will take 11 litres even in the best of PSU bunks.

Last edited by Gansan : 27th April 2010 at 06:59.
Old 2nd May 2010, 08:23   #688
BHPian

Price Update

Last Thursday I drove down to Mumbai.
The Shell Station on Bangalore Highway is selling Diesel at Rs. 45.25/ L
& the HP Station (Sai Service), 1 km away is selling at Rs. 40.16/L.

Compare this with the Price of Diesel at HP's COCO outlet on the Expressway retailing at Rs. 38.67/L.

(The first two are also hit with the octroi levy).

No doubt Shell is better on Quality, but are you willing to pay a premium of almost Rs. 7/L if you are running long distances ?
Old 4th May 2010, 09:35   #689
BHPian

Ditched Shell and had the last two fillings done at BP. FE has gone down to 7.9kmpl from ~9kmpl earlier. I think I better get back to Shell. Even if the price is 60 per liter, it makes better sense to fill at Shell.

Anybody knows the current petrol prices at Shell?
Old 4th May 2010, 09:42   #690
BHPian

Have you tried HP?
My experience with HP is better than BP.
I get better FE with them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks