Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2012, 09:56   #1861
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Shell fuel price discussion thread !!

I drove my Punto to Pune on Thursday and drove back to Bangalore on Saturday.
Me being a regular at shell, fill other fuel only on such long drives
Its an opportunity for me to compare Shell versus other fuels

After this long 2000kms trip, here is a comparision:

Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-shell-vs-others.jpg

All the 2000kms my car was cruising at speeds between 100-120kmph.
AC was intermittent.
All calulations by tank full to tank full method
This 2000kms also includes the following city traffic
  • Davanagere traffic on 13.12.12 at 9AM(can be ignored)
  • Pune traffic on 13.12.12 9PM at 14.12.12 10AM & 6PM, 15.12.12 9AM
  • Hubli traffic on 15.12.12 at 6PM
I'll continue going to Shell irrrespective of the prices like I've been doing for the past 5 years now.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 18th December 2012 at 10:02.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 10:07   #1862
Senior - BHPian

Prices in Chennai:

Rs 79.25 - SULP

Rs 71.50 - ULP
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 12:29   #1863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I drove my Punto to Pune on Thursday and drove back to Bangalore on Saturday.
Me being a regular at shell, fill other fuel only on such long drives
Its an opportunity for me to compare Shell versus other fuels
Nice comparison there Hemant!
The shell guys must be feeling a lot proud too.

You've inspired this sort of a comparo for the Diesels now.

cheers

BTW - cool signature! Is that GmBH organization you work with related to the Auto industry?
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 13:41   #1864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Nice comparison there Hemant!
The shell guys must be feeling a lot proud too.

You've inspired this sort of a comparo for the Diesels now.

cheers

BTW - cool signature! Is that GmBH organization you work with related to the Auto industry?
Thanks, I'll look forward to the diesel camparision.
A shell Vs others Comparision will be much better (but not for the pockets though)
And a good comparision would be when the driving condition are similar throughout.

Nice guess, but its not GmBH, its AG. An automotive one nevertheless
Old 20th December 2012, 20:59   #1865

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
...All calulations by tank full to tank full method...
Good info Hemanth! However you may be under-stating the efficiency improvements from Shell here because there a fallacy with the tank-full to tank-full method. Most of the efficiency improvement comes because many corrupt pumps dispense less liters than the actual volume billed. Let us take a hypothetical example for this case. If IOC metered more than what it dispensed (eg. 36L shown as 37.31) then the actual FE you got from Shell is 553/36=15.36! Essentially, you are penalizing Shell for the previous pumps misdemeanor. To avoid this anomaly I always use the fuel warning light to tank full method - and I note and reset the odo as soon as I see the warning light. I compute the last pump mileage using the odo data and the last fuel receipt (making sure that I ignore premature warning that comes when I am on an incline like in basement parkings).

In fact I have been using Shell throughout except for an occasional 20L that I take when I do BLR-HYD on NH7 and those 5th-gear trips give me 16kmpl on a fiat petra petrol 1.6 using the warning-light to tank-full method. And then Shell's price is also same as the PSUs so why even bother to go to any other pump.
Old 28th December 2012, 23:14   #1866
BHPian

Filled up at Shell Hinjewadi- the price was 71.95.
Definitely cheaper than city pumps where price is approx 73.85
Old 29th December 2012, 14:23   #1867
Senior - BHPian

The below Prices are from - http://www.shell.com/ind/products-se...ing-board.html

Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-shell.jpg
Old 30th December 2012, 06:42   #1868
BHPian

Question: Is there a way we can determine the cetane number of diesel at Shell? Other than asking the staff at Shell outlets is there any other way to figure out which outlet sells BS III diesel and which does BS IV (if they have this variety)? The rate card attached in the post above speaks of Bangalore BS III & BS IV. Although the rate per litre is the same an assuming there will be a difference in the cetane number.

Tried their website but in vain.

Last edited by cars_crazy : 30th December 2012 at 06:54.
Old 30th December 2012, 20:04   #1869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars_crazy View Post
Question: Is there a way we can determine the cetane number of diesel at Shell? Other than asking the staff at Shell outlets is there any other way to figure out which outlet sells BS III diesel and which does BS IV (if they have this variety)? The rate card attached in the post above speaks of Bangalore BS III & BS IV. Although the rate per litre is the same an assuming there will be a difference in the cetane number.

Tried their website but in vain.
The rate difference is due to lesser taxes on the outskirts of the city. if you notice petrol prices you can see 60-70 paisa difference between the two. for diesel it might be same because taxes on diesel is lesser than petrol.

and shell sources fuel from nearest refineries. so in our case its either from Chennai or the MRPL. i highly doubt it to be vastly different from what we get in good HP, IOC or BP pumps.

Only thing you can be sure of is the shell quality and quantity(but even that is same as some of the popular PSU pumps)

I dont see any difference in mileage if i go to Shell, HP, IOC and even tried BP this time. provided the pump is trusted one
Old 16th January 2013, 13:50   #1870
Senior - BHPian

Filled up 9 litres of Unleaded in my RX135 today from Shell bunk at Bommanahalli at INR 74.25 per litre.

I guess it makes sense to fill up at Shell at these prices since I can see a lot of vehicles (mostly 2 wheeler crowd) filling up there everyday.
Old 17th January 2013, 15:14   #1871
BHPian

I have used Shell before, now after going through all the calculations here, thinking of moving to it completely for my City atleast.
Normally I fill petrol every alternate weekend for Rs.500, should I tank full and keep, because I take my City for a spin only in weekends. Rest of the day he will be under his wraps in my car park(Closed)
Closest station to me is in Habsiguda. How is it?
Old 21st January 2013, 12:13   #1872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I have used Shell before, now after going through all the calculations here, thinking of moving to it completely for my City atleast.
Normally I fill petrol every alternate weekend for Rs.500, should I tank full and keep, because I take my City for a spin only in weekends. Rest of the day he will be under his wraps in my car park(Closed)
There is hardly any noticeable difference between Shell or any other trusted fuel pump. Even shell sources fuel from nearby refinery just like others

But off late, atleast in Bangalore i notice a difference of 20 paisa between shell and other pumps, which is why i tend to do to shell plus its more nearer to my home.

Some time back when shell was charging couple of rupee more than other pumps, i stopped going to shell. But i hardly noticed any difference in FE or power etc.

So dont travel extra distance to fill up in shell(unless its way cheaper than other pumps)
Old 21st January 2013, 17:12   #1873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post

For me the pump at Habsiguda is on my way back home from work. I usually take my car only on alternate weekends and I plan in such a way that I always top up at Shell only.

I noticed sometime ago that I get around 20-25 kms extra for a tankful (40L) when I use Shell. That works out to around 150 bucks saved (considering 6Rs/L running cost for my i20 (P)). Subtract the additional amount spent at Shell (60p on an average X 40L = 25 bucks). This makes for a neat saving of around 125/- per tankful .

Using the above logic, we can safely say that it is advisable to Shift to normal P only when the price differential crosses Rs 4/- per litre. This may vary on case to case basis.
Old 21st January 2013, 18:14   #1874
BHPian

Like others I have noticed an improvement of 0.5 to 1 km in average fuel efficiency when filled at Shell in comparison to IOC (next to Indiranagar BDA complex)

Last edited by bharatbs : 21st January 2013 at 18:15.
Old 21st January 2013, 20:01   #1875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
There is hardly any noticeable difference between Shell or any other trusted fuel pump. Even shell sources fuel from nearby refinery just like others

But off late, atleast in Bangalore i notice a difference of 20 paisa between shell and other pumps, which is why i tend to do to shell plus its more nearer to my home.

Some time back when shell was charging couple of rupee more than other pumps, i stopped going to shell. But i hardly noticed any difference in FE or power etc.

So dont travel extra distance to fill up in shell(unless its way cheaper than other pumps)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
For me the pump at Habsiguda is on my way back home from work. I usually take my car only on alternate weekends and I plan in such a way that I always top up at Shell only.

I noticed sometime ago that I get around 20-25 kms extra for a tankful (40L) when I use Shell. That works out to around 150 bucks saved (considering 6Rs/L running cost for my i20 (P)). Subtract the additional amount spent at Shell (60p on an average X 40L = 25 bucks). This makes for a neat saving of around 125/- per tankful .

Using the above logic, we can safely say that it is advisable to Shift to normal P only when the price differential crosses Rs 4/- per litre. This may vary on case to case basis.
Thanks guys. Will give it a try. This weekend had to goto Airport. Normally my FE during this trip would be a average of 16-18. Let me see what Shell can give me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks