Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2013, 00:23   #1876
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shell fuel price discussion thread !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
Like others I have noticed an improvement of 0.5 to 1 km in average fuel efficiency when filled at Shell in comparison to IOC (next to Indiranagar BDA complex)
All PSU Pumps are not good in terms of giving correct quantity. any pump you will 3-5% less is always there, then there are some who go upto 15% and that is where the difference is noticable.

I have also felt the same about the IOC pump that you mention. Now on the tippasandra market road there is BP petrol pump almost towards the end, fill there and notice. They are good. When I lived in that region that was my always.

On the Jaymahal and Nandidurga road there is an pump on corner, do not fill there.

There is a BP petrol pump on the ORR to hebbal after horamvu on left, that is a good one.

Shell on the Whitefield (near graphite India signal) I am still doubtfull?? Else most are good.
Old 28th January 2013, 11:26   #1877
BHPian

Filled up with Shell Super Unleaded at UB City Shell @ 81.90. Have observed that while the prices of Regular Unleaded are more than PSU Pumps. (Shell still keeps it at 72.24, unlike PSU pumps which have reduced it to 74.04), Super Unleaded is 81.90, compared to 83+ at HP/BPCL (Power and Speed). Was the first fill up after filling regular Shell / IOC for 10 fill ups. Not felt any difference so far.
avi550m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 08:35   #1878

What is the Difference between Shell Unleaded/Super Unleaded BSIII & BSIV petrol?

Being based out of bangalore and having taken novice steps on 4W driving since last 2.25 years with my Ritz, i have always gone with Shell Super Unleaded petrol for my vehicle. Reasons as I understand from various forums, it possibly gives little more mileage and keeps engine smooth (I guess).

When i went last time for fillup @ Shell Bunk near SAP office, Whitefield, i filled Super Unleaded Petrol which is priced @ INR 81.15/Liter.

While browsing the shell website i see this is BSIII compliant Petrol (Bangalore). Unknowingly i have been using it since years possibly because i was never told its BSIII or BSIV kind off petrol

http://www.shell.com/ind/products-se...ing-board.html

My Question to all fellow BHP-ians is as follows,

My Ritz ZXI is BSIV compliant vehicle,
(a) Will running the vehicle with BSIII petrol lead to any issues on vehicle?
(b) Does it have any effect on mileage consider petrol prices are @ premium now and owing to personal reasons I have been using Super Unleaded petrol since the time i had bought my car?
(c) What is the impact (on car performance or mileage) incase i change over to either Unleaded Petrol instead of Super Unleaded Petrol
(d) Incase BSIV has advantages over BSIII Petrol, well then any Team-BHP-ians in Bangalore aware of which Shell offers BSIV petrol in Bangalore anywhere near KR PUram, Whitefield, Marathahalli, Indiranagar area?

Vielen Dank und viel sparen fahren ...ciao...
Old 30th January 2013, 10:35   #1879
BHPian

Re: What is the Difference between Shell Unleaded/Super Unleaded BSIII & BSIV petrol?

BSIII & BSIV marked rates for Bangalore in Shell's website are the rates of the "same fuel" in BSIII and BSIV areas of Bangalore respectively.
For instance, Kengeri, which is a BSIII area in Bangalore will have rates of 81.15INR/Litre for Super Unleaded Petrol and Jayanagar, which is a BSIV area of Bangalore, will have rates of 81.90INR/Litre for Super Unleaded Petrol.

You don't need to worry about filling in the INR 81.15 fuel, as essentially it's the same fuel. There is no such thing as of today, as BSIII and BSIV fuel. As long as your engine is in good health, filling in Normal Unleaded, and Super Unleaded will not lead to any significant difference. Most vehicles require only normal unleaded petrol. Mostly, high compression engines, that we find in performance cars, recommend Super Fuel, to prevent pre-ignition.

Hope that helps

Last edited by RevvMusic : 30th January 2013 at 10:51.
RevvMusic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 11:10   #1880
BHPian

Re: What is the Difference between Shell Unleaded/Super Unleaded BSIII & BSIV petrol?

The difference between Shell Unleaded & Super Unleaded is the extra additives in the fuel Super Unleaded. These mixtures are pretty closely guarded secrets & details are not easy to come by.

For normal unmodified healthy engine, buy normal fuel 90% of the time & Super Unleaded 10% of the time as this will 'apperently' clean the carbon deposits on the valves (as advertised). I have tried both & found no discernable difference between the two. Shell won't be given to 'useless' advertising so I believe there will be 'some' benefit to the engine.

BS III & BS IV are levels of permitted poluttents from vehicles in India. Generally this difference in recent times has to do with a drastic reduction in sulphur levels in fuel. Sulphur in fuels is basically for lubrication of the valves & associted components in the combustion chamber. This job was being performed by lead before it was banned. Therefore fuel companies are having to come up with alternatives for sulphur.
1self is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 12:06   #1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevvMusic View Post
BSIII & BSIV marked rates for Bangalore in Shell's website are the rates of the "same fuel" in BSIII and BSIV areas of Bangalore respectively.
For instance, Kengeri, which is a BSIII area in Bangalore will have rates of 81.15INR/Litre for Super Unleaded Petrol and Jayanagar, which is a BSIV area of Bangalore, will have rates of 81.90INR/Litre for Super Unleaded Petrol.

You don't need to worry about filling in the INR 81.15 fuel, as essentially it's the same fuel. There is no such thing as of today, as BSIII and BSIV fuel. As long as your engine is in good health, filling in Normal Unleaded, and Super Unleaded will not lead to any significant difference. Most vehicles require only normal unleaded petrol. Mostly, high compression engines, that we find in performance cars, recommend Super Fuel, to prevent pre-ignition.

Hope that helps
THanks RevvMusic for clarifying the same. I was not not aware that within Bangalore areawise there might be classification in terms of BSIII/BSIV.
Old 2nd February 2013, 09:05   #1882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Filled up with Shell Super Unleaded at UB City Shell @ 81.90. Have observed that while the prices of Regular Unleaded are more than PSU Pumps. (Shell still keeps it at 74.24, unlike PSU pumps which have reduced it to 74.04), Super Unleaded is 81.90, compared to 83+ at HP/BPCL (Power and Speed). Was the first fill up after filling regular Shell / IOC for 10 fill ups. Not felt any difference so far.
Shell Unleaded has come down to Rs 74.10 in Bangalore. Super Unleaded is still Rs. 81.90. Since I last tanked up on Shell Super, the faint knocking / rattling sound from the engine at around 20% throttle has vanished. Not sure if it is due to the fuel or not. Otherwise, can't feel much difference in performance (well, I drive an A-Star Automatic, so probably not the best choice to tell).
Old 3rd February 2013, 02:25   #1883
Senior - BHPian

I feel no difference between normal and super. And with the octane rating of normal fuel increased generally from past and no adultration, normal is as good as it can be .
Old 3rd February 2013, 03:04   #1884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilok View Post
http://www.shell.com/ind/products-se...ing-board.html

My Question to all fellow BHP-ians is as follows,

(d) Incase BSIV has advantages over BSIII Petrol, well then any Team-BHP-ians in Bangalore aware of which Shell offers BSIV petrol in Bangalore anywhere near KR PUram, Whitefield, Marathahalli, Indiranagar area?

Vielen Dank und viel sparen fahren ...ciao...
The same website you quotes has a shell pump locator. The one in KR puram / indiranagar is old madras road, next to rmz infinity. Traffic is generally a pain, especially in peak hours so driving only to fill up is difficult. I think the one in whitefield and the one on old airport road after marathahalli are both bsIII bunks, though check the locator for confirmation of this
Old 3rd February 2013, 08:24   #1885
BHPian

Now filling up Shell for my City, the normal petrol. Last Sunday the price was 74.20, but yesterday the price was 74.95. Is this the trend at Shell, they increase/decrease at their own will or follow the amendments of the Ministry?

BTW, I can feel smoothness in my ride with Shell ride. Cant comment yet on the mileage part.
Old 3rd February 2013, 14:48   #1886
Senior - BHPian

@ Trilok: all the pumps in whiefield area are bs3 and the old madras one is the bs4, there is one more some where in cv Raman and behind area havin bs4. There is no difference on the engine, but for sure on emissions.

@dream: prices are deregulated for petrol and diesel in shell pump and vary as per international rates.
Old 4th February 2013, 20:37   #1887
BHPian

When I tanked up at Shell UB City the attendant offered an oil 'top-up'. My question is, do they just top up the oil or do an oil change and replace the filter as well? Also, how do they know whether the oil in the car is compatible with the Shell they are selling.

For instance, with the A-Star (K-Series engine), the user manual recommend 5W30, or alternatively, 10W30/10W40. Now, Shell Helix HX5 AZ (5W30) is what Shell recommends on their website. But how do the people at the pump know which oil is currently in the car, and whether mixing the Shell Helix is safe or not.
Old 5th February 2013, 03:20   #1888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
When I tanked up at Shell UB City the attendant offered an oil 'top-up'. My question is, do they just top up the oil or do an oil change and replace the filter as well? Also, how do they know whether the oil in the car is compatible with the Shell they are selling.

For instance, with the A-Star (K-Series engine), the user manual recommend 5W30, or alternatively, 10W30/10W40. Now, Shell Helix HX5 AZ (5W30) is what Shell recommends on their website. But how do the people at the pump know which oil is currently in the car, and whether mixing the Shell Helix is safe or not.
Thats the first time I am hearing of engine oil top up at a bunk. This means opening a sealed can or un-sealed can, either ways how will they calculate the price of the oil that was poured in?
Or was it a fuel top up when the attendant was filling fuel?
Old 5th February 2013, 12:36   #1889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
The same website you quotes has a shell pump locator. The one in KR puram / indiranagar is old madras road, next to rmz infinity. Traffic is generally a pain, especially in peak hours so driving only to fill up is difficult. I think the one in whitefield and the one on old airport road after marathahalli are both bsIII bunks, though check the locator for confirmation of this
There is one more Shell in that area. But it's deep inside Vibhuthapura main road, past the bus depot but before Tata Sherwood apts.
Old 7th February 2013, 13:33   #1890
Senior - BHPian

The service at the Shell Graphite India outlet is worse than the PSU outlets of late. Their air pressure checking facility does not work even at 7:45 AM even though they open at 7:00 AM. For the past 2 visits, I could not check the air pressure. Today I asked the attendant and he was totally indifferent I went in to their office and complained and they too were indifferent. Has anyone else encountered this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks