Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2013, 21:32   #1996
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
I filled up Shell Diesel at Rs.57.50 per liter. My asumption was that it will accelarate better and may provide more mileage. I tried to accelarate more and did not feel any difference. Need to check on the mileage part. I drive Ford Figo tdci
Shell diesel does not give you more power. What you will notice is increased engine smoothness , Better refinement at higher rpm and better mileage.
Old 21st May 2013, 01:23   #1997
BHPian

Re: Shell fuel price discussion thread !!

Quote:
I filled up Shell Diesel at Rs.57.50 per liter. My asumption was that it will accelarate better and may provide more mileage. I tried to accelarate more and did not feel any difference. Need to check on the mileage part. I drive Ford Figo tdci
I have no personal experience with Shell diesel. Here's what I read on this thread a long time ago.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2746762
Old 21st May 2013, 10:10   #1998
Senior - BHPian

Petrol.
Tanked up on old madras road at Rs. 69.35.
Cheaper at Segehalli Village but this is BS3. Rs. 68.80.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 21st May 2013 at 10:12. Reason: Forgot to mention fuel type
Old 21st May 2013, 13:06   #1999

The Shell pump on the Kharadi Bypass near Mundwa (Pune) has re-opened it was shut for a few years. Everyone seems to be going there since petrol at 69.32/liter is cheaper than the other non-private outlets.
sebastianjoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 14:30   #2000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
I have no personal experience with Shell diesel. Here's what I read on this thread a long time ago.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2746762
CBlazer, HighOctane: There are very mixed TBHP reviews on using Shell diesel! Am in a quandary as well with our Cruze and Polo D. Just today I payed Rs. 54.27/lt at a BPCL CoCo. Tantalizingly close to Shell diesel at Rs. 57.50!

Also, is there any way to figure out (online) which pumps are BSIII or BSIV? I get confused where the city limits start and end during my semi-rural commutes.

Last edited by itwasntme : 21st May 2013 at 14:33. Reason: Clarity
Old 21st May 2013, 14:36   #2001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I tanked up with Shell Diesel last week. I filled about 35 liters (my tank capacity is 55 liters).
I have seen a very noticeable loss in pickup and power. My Rapid has become very sluggish especially when changing from the 1st to 3rd gears and the acceleration is not very great too. This is a totally different experience compared to the Govt. pumps, where there is no loss of power.
I think Shell diesel is not well tuned to run on Indian diesel cars.
Any diesel car owners have a different experience with Shell Diesel? Does it make sense to try out for 2-3 tankfulls and then switch back to government diesel if this problem persists?
I had tanked up my Scorpio with Shell diesel at Mysore. The last 1000 KMs i have been running on Shell diesel. I did not notice any change in refinement, engine noise, pick up or mileage when compared to IOC diesel.
I actually reset the ECU also (disconnceting battery for 15 mins).
In the last tankfull, there were two highway runs of 160 KMs to Mysore and all others in Bangalore, but still FE was just 11.61 (i felt IOC was same if not better).
I am planning to check FE only for highway run (betn Bangalore and Mysore). If the FE is anything below 12.5, then i will go back to IOC.
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 09:42   #2002
BHPian

I went to shell today at Gachibowli and paid an extra 2rupees (72.34) over regular petrol at other pumps just for the well calibrated air pumps. But there was only one lady attendant for bikes and cars and she was so slow I left after waiting a good 8-9 minutes. Those minutes in the morning, my friend, are precious. Overall experience wasn't any better than a normal pump either. I won't be a returning customer.
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:03   #2003
Distinguished - BHPian

Filled up a full tank of Shell normal diesel last week in my Cruze.

Initial take after using for 250 km is that while the engine sounds a tiny bit smoother, it is definitely more sluggish and not winding up as quickly as it used to. Smoke under heavy acceleration seems to be less.

Unless something magical happens in the rest 300 km, am definitely moving back to PSU diesel.
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:18   #2004
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My experiences with Ford engines and Shell Diesel are as follows;

a. My erstwhile Ford Fusion 1.4 TDCi - The engine became very audible (loud, almost like a tractor). No increase in mileage, smoothness, acceleration or anything.

b. Ford Fiesta 1.5 TDCi - Last June, due to a severe shortage of Diesel in Chennai, i tanked up Shell Diesel in my Fiesta. Mileage dropped and engine noise went up.

c. Ford Endeavour 3.0 TDCi - Mileage goes up by 10%, but the loud engine noise can wake up the entire neighbourhood.

Both the Fiesta and Endeavour like HP Diesel. They perform their best when they are fed with HP Diesel. BP Diesel make them under-powered!!!
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:25   #2005
Senior - BHPian

After the recent increase in the diesel rates, what is the current rate for Diesel in Bangalore and how much is the difference with Shell Diesel? I will probably wait till the differece is less than Rs.2 and tank up at shell going forward.
Old 3rd June 2013, 22:26   #2006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
After the recent increase in the diesel rates, what is the current rate for Diesel in Bangalore and how much is the difference with Shell Diesel? I will probably wait till the differece is less than Rs.2 and tank up at shell going forward.
Yesterday I filled diesel in HP near Hebbal and its Rs.54.82 and Diesel in Shell costs Rs.57.50. The difference being Rs.2.68/- per liter.

I regularly fill petrol from Shell for Bike & Scooty and the quality & quantity is excellant. However after reading negative opinions on Shell's Diesel and I myself did not experience any advantages out of Shell's diesel, I do not prefer Shell Diesel for now.
Old 3rd June 2013, 23:51   #2007
BHPian

Quote:
I regularly fill petrol from Shell for Bike & Scooty and the quality & quantity is excellant..
how can you tell? I filled petrol from that Shell once and saw no difference in performance or mileage..
Old 4th June 2013, 00:49   #2008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post
how can you tell? I filled petrol from that Shell once and saw no difference in performance or mileage..
I cannot substantiate that there will be improvement in the mileage as I have not done a test and compared mileage of Shell Petrol & PSU Petrol.

But when I fill Shell petrol, I have noticed engine will be bit smooth. The best part of Shell is its Quality and Quantity. Shell has maintained quality, if I go back to 2005-06, I had seen a Shell guy with camera capturing the Fuel transfer from the lorry tanker to Bunk's underground tank. A person in Shell told me that they also capture the quality tests on camera daily. Now I donot know if they are practicing the same.

Hence when quantity and quality is good, you naturally get more mileage.
Old 4th June 2013, 09:58   #2009
Senior - BHPian

^^Shell's quality and quantity have been excellent, ever since I started filling there in 2007 when they opened in our neighborhood. I always top-up my car and bike there as soon as they reach half tank level, and never look at another bunk. The quality can be seen from the condition of the spark plugs when they are cleaned periodically. They will be PERFECT and require very little cleaning. Even my lubes are sourced from them, though I very well know I will pay less if I buy the same outside.

In contrast PSU bunks will be good for the first few months after opening, then quickly go to dogs! There are exceptions, of course!

Having said that, the fuel filled from a GOOD PSU PUMP will be identical to the ones from Shell in every respect. They too source the fuel from Indian refineries, after all. The difference lies in the hanky-panky done at PSU bunks, after the fuel leaves the refinery.

I have sometimes filled petrol at a very trustworthy PSU pump at Pondy, and found absolutely no difference as compared to Shell.
Old 9th June 2013, 10:41   #2010
Team-BHP Support

Had a very shocking experience at Shell yesterday. I had gone to the Vittal Mallya Rd. bunk yesterday to fill up the Altis.

Tank was filled for Rs. 3,197 of petrol. Paid by credit card. The guy swiped the card and got back just the credit card charge slip and not the actual bill.

Since my dad maintains accounts for running expenses, he always insists on the bill. The attendant looked surprised that we were asking for the bill. He said he doesn't have it and he had given it to us. We told him a firm NO. He started looking for it and after a few minutes, he pulled it out from somewhere near the trash can.

By this time I had already noted down that the pump was showing Rs.3,197. The shocker was that the credit charge slip was Rs.3,397. He had charged Rs.200 more!

He started apologizing saying it was a mistake he had done while typing. We asked him to go to the store manager inside and void the transaction. He quickly said NO NO, here is Rs.200 cash.

I asked my dad if he wanted to register a complaint but dad gave him the benefit of doubt and said it might be a typo.

Although it could be an honest mistake, the entire episode was a little suspicious. Not only did he charge Rs.200 more but he lost the original bill. I don't know how the attendant will benefit since it was a card transaction.

Be careful when paying by card. Always insist on bill and check the amount on card slip.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks