Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2013, 08:56   #2086
BHPian

Re: Shell fuel price discussion thread !!

As is my custom every Saturday morning, went to the Shell station on Lavelle road near UB city at around 715 after my morning run at Cubbon park. The attendant asks whether I want a full tank and I say yes. Then he shiftily makes an excuse about normal unleaded not being available at the moment. When asked why he mumbles something vaguely about some problem and recommends me to fill SULP adding that I will get extra mileage for good measure. Since my tank was already 3/4th full and wanted to tank up just to check FE, I refused.

The attendant's fishy behavior was playing on my mind while driving back since I have never had an instance of normal petrol not being available at that pump and I am a regular there on weekend mornings. It didnt strike me to probe more or ask for a feedback book (I guess they will have one) since I was secure in my belief that there will be a drop in fuel prices as reported by 'respectable' dailies and news channels and a possible reluctance to sell normal petrol didnt make sense. Hence I get the shock of my life when I pick up the papers after getting back home and am greeted by our regular weekend delight of the OMCs yet again hiking petrol prices instead of reducing them. In a flash the attendant's excuse about normal unleaded being unavailable made sense; the question is who was the directive from? I expect our local pumps to try these antics but thought Shell was above this. Have other Shell regulars experienced something similar today?
Old 14th September 2013, 09:21   #2087
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Then he shiftily makes an excuse about normal unleaded not being available at the moment. When asked why he mumbles something vaguely about some problem and recommends me to fill SULP adding that I will get extra mileage for good measure. Since my tank was already 3/4th full and wanted to tank up just to check FE, I refused.
Just for my understanding, please let me know how you were so sure that the pump attendant was making an excuse and not telling the truth? I didn't understand how you being a regular to the station relates to the problem that he mumbled was non existent.

Even I'm regular to one shell station everyone of the attendant there knows me and my car and yet everytime I go, they ask me to go for super petrol. This is also common in all shell stations I've gone to

What I want to say is that all the shell pump attendants are trained to recommend and suggest super petrol and in your case the problem might have actually been there.
Old 14th September 2013, 09:25   #2088
BHPian

Quote:
I expect our local pumps to try these antics but thought Shell was above this. Have other Shell regulars experienced something similar today?
Well, from my experience at 4 different shell pumps (UB City, Whitefield, Old Madras Road, Bannerghatta Road), all Shell pump attendants ask not once, but even twice or thrice for Super Unleaded. I guess they are trying to sell it. But each time I have never got a reply that Regular Petrol is unavailable.
Old 14th September 2013, 09:26   #2089
Distinguished - BHPian

In my experience, every time I have visited Shell they have suggested their premium fuels.

Anyway they are not part of the PSU cartel and adjust their rates independently, so the announcement is less critical for them.
Old 14th September 2013, 09:28   #2090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As is my custom every Saturday morning, went to the Shell station on Lavelle road near UB city at around 715 after my morning run at Cubbon park. The attendant asks whether I want a full tank and I say yes. Then he shiftily makes an excuse about normal unleaded not being available at the moment.
I just went and checked on this, since my office is a stone's throw distance away from the VM road Shell. They indeed do not have stock of Normal petrol, it seems the tanker arrived late or something. The Shell pump on Bellary road had normal petrol today morning.

I don't suspect it is to do with the hikes mentioned in today papers, since they will gain if they sell petrol of yesterdays rates at today's hiked rates.
Old 14th September 2013, 14:13   #2091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Just for my understanding, please let me know how you were so sure that the pump attendant was making an excuse and not telling the truth? I didn't understand how you being a regular to the station relates to the problem that he mumbled was non existent.
Well for one he could have given me the plain truth that hrman got from them when he visited later today. He just said that there is 'some problem' and started plugging for SULP straight away. Also, at the same time, a gentleman in a scooter was requesting him to have someone check the air pressure and the attendant just motioned no by shaking his head. Typically I haven't seen such apathy there or in any other shell pump. Actually I hadnt seen this particular attendant before either and his body language got me thinking after I left the pump. Maybe it was just below average customer service which led me to deduce that something was fishy

I'm a regular at that Shell bunk and never have I seen normal unleaded not being available is what I meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I just went and checked on this, since my office is a stone's throw distance away from the VM road Shell. They indeed do not have stock of Normal petrol, it seems the tanker arrived late or something. The Shell pump on Bellary road had normal petrol today morning.

I don't suspect it is to do with the hikes mentioned in today papers, since they will gain if they sell petrol of yesterdays rates at today's hiked rates.
Thanks for checking I hope its just a coincidence since I have gotten into the habit of tanking up there. So is petrol still retailing for 80.95 at shell?
Are you in HR as your handle suggests since so am I!
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 20:19   #2092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Well, from my experience at 4 different shell pumps (UB City, Whitefield, Old Madras Road, Bannerghatta Road), all Shell pump attendants ask not once, but even twice or thrice for Super Unleaded. I guess they are trying to sell it. But each time I have never got a reply that Regular Petrol is unavailable.
Happened to me a month ago sometime before noon: the one near Lalbagh did say that the regular petrol was unavailable and tried to up sell the premium petrol. I said no and started driving off. Within a minute the attendant got back to me when I was about to enter the road and confirmed the availability. Reversed back and filled her up!

(Didn't think too much of it since I'm typically pessimistic about customer service in general)

Last edited by nareshov : 14th September 2013 at 20:20. Reason: grammar
Old 14th September 2013, 21:43   #2093
Distinguished - BHPian

Shell would update their prices to-morrow to the market price of 83 plus for Euro IV unleaded petrol (in Bangalore)

Cheers!
Old 15th September 2013, 11:42   #2094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Shell would update their prices to-morrow to the market price of 83 plus for Euro IV unleaded petrol (in Bangalore)

Cheers!
last week i filled petrol @ whitefield road shell outlet for 80.15 where as the market price was ~82
Old 15th September 2013, 12:52   #2095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambadan View Post
last week i filled petrol @ whitefield road shell outlet for 80.15 where as the market price was ~82
Yesterday I filled up @80.15 as well. Not sure if today has seen any revision.
Old 15th September 2013, 16:00   #2096
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Yesterday I filled up @80.15 as well. Not sure if today has seen any revision.
Shell are raising their prices today by ~ Rs. 2 or so. Yesterday, Shell Unleaded was Rs. 80.05 (Euro IV) in Chennai. The lady said they were going to raise the prices tomorrow and suggested that I fill the tank up. I didn't have much money left with me, and therefore only filled up for Rs. 500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Here are a few day time pics of the oil change facility at Shell, Chromepet. It is free, but the oil must be purchased there. They also do free under-bonnet checks, clean the air filter and top-up battery water while they do the oil change.

But as I said earlier, go with your own oil filter. And know your oil.
I took my Indica Xeta all the way to Chromepet to change the oil at Shell! The old beater, running on her second engine now, hasn't had her oil changed in a long time. After treating her to a diet of Shell Helix HX5, she has become noticeably more silent now - thanks to Shell for the product and the service, and to Gansan for spreading the word

I did buy an oil filter for Rs. 160 (Purolator brand) from a local spare parts store a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, it was the wrong type and the Shell mechanic found that it wouldn't fit, though it was meant for the Indigo. Luckily for me, they had a filter in stock that did fit perfectly. It was a Bosch one (Rs. 110)

They had only one 3.5 lit. can of Helix HX5 left and the Indica's total engine oil capacity is 4.5 lit. I did not want to go for the semi-synthetic Helix HX7 as my Xeta is an old car running on her second engine (Indigo's engine). So I got the 3.5 litres filled and told the mechanic that I would top her up later.

The total cost for the oil change came to a mere Rs. 1044 only (Rs. 934 for 3.5 lit. Helix HX5 + Rs. 110 for the Bosch oil filter). Of course, I'll have to buy another one litre can of Helix HX5 to fill her to the maximum capacity.

I also got this box of tissues as a complimentary thing for doing the oil change at Shell:

Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-image.jpg

Above all, there is the sheer peace of mind that I got the oil and filter changed right in front of my own eyes, with stuff that I chose. And I don't have to pay for any rubbish such as engine oil flush and additives. And did we mention that there are no labour charges, either (as of now, at least).

The oil change service is a roaring success! There was a Palio Multijet getting its oil changed when I went there, and there was a Zen waiting to do so while I was getting my oil changed. Apart from this, at least three two-wheelers had an oil change during the time I was there.

Folks in Chennai, you now know where to head for a nice and quick little oil change for your car, if you want to avoid paying hefty sums to your dealership guys. Thumbs up to Shell!
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 18:07   #2097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
They had only one 3.5 lit. can of Helix HX5 left and the Indica's total engine oil capacity is 4.5 lit.
As per my understanding the Indica's 1.4 litre engine has a capacity of 4 litres. Though mine is a 1.4 litre diesel engine, I have never filled greater than 4 litres of oil anytime & the oil level on the oil dip stick is always at the upper level. Please check your car manual for the exact oil quantity.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 21:28   #2098
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Folks in Chennai, you now know where to head for a nice and quick little oil change for your car, if you want to avoid paying hefty sums to your dealership guys. Thumbs up to Shell!
Good initiative by Shell. So the oil change is being offered now in Bangalore and Chennai. I hope they start the same in Hyderabad as well. Last week, I checked here in Hyderabad (Raj bhavan road shell). They were offering just topup.
ottocycle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 09:37   #2099
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Then he shiftily makes an excuse about normal unleaded not being available at the moment. When asked why he mumbles something vaguely about some problem and recommends me to fill SULP
Went to same Shell bunk yesterday morning. Before getting out of car checked if they have normal petrol and they said yes. Price was 80.95 which I guess is around 2 Rs less than public sector companies.
My daily commute is less nowdays and since last time I topped up price was revised twice, hence not sure of current price in Bangalore.

OT: I too go for jogging in Cubbon park during weekend mornings.
Old 16th September 2013, 10:12   #2100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Went to same Shell bunk yesterday morning. Before getting out of car checked if they have normal petrol and they said yes. Price was 80.95 which I guess is around 2 Rs less than public sector companies.
My daily commute is less nowdays and since last time I topped up price was revised twice, hence not sure of current price in Bangalore.

OT: I too go for jogging in Cubbon park during weekend mornings.
Thanks for the information, I guess I was unlucky on Saturday and then didnt expect for the price to remain the same on Sunday

OT - Please PM me your number since we both share the same passion for jogging at Cubbon park, we should meet!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks