Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2014, 23:12   #2311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Filled up Regular Unleaded Petrol @75.20/Liter at Shell Mysore Road on Sunday.

What's with the attendants acting pushy about 'Super Unleaded'? I've been a regular Shell customer for 6 years now, and even though they've always mentioned it when I tanked up in the past, they've become really annoying the last few months. I avoid being rude but have had to firmly repeat what I wanted on a few occasions. A polite 'No thanks, I'll go with the Regular' doesn't work anymore.
I totally agree with you. It's the same case in Chennai too. A simple 'NO' just doesn't work nowadays. I had to stop filling at shell for a couple of days to get rid of their annoyance.
Old 19th September 2014, 08:28   #2312
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
What's with the attendants acting pushy about 'Super Unleaded'? A polite 'No thanks, I'll go with the Regular' doesn't work anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikstharun View Post
It's the same case in Chennai too. A simple 'NO' just doesn't work nowadays.
Why don't we collect images from our user manuals that advise against additives in petrol/diesel and contact Shell with that saying:
a) Shell attendants are annoyingly pushy about Super, and that is putting off loyal customers
b) Manufacturers of popular cars don't recommend any additives (and attach a list of those illustrations as examples), so while Shell is entitled to market Super, don't push it like its the better option

To get started, here are the equivalent extracts from the Ford EcoSport manual:
Name:  EcoSport Petrol  Users Manual Warning.gif
Views: 1818
Size:  23.4 KB
Name:  EcoSport Diesel  Users Manual Warning.gif
Views: 1782
Size:  22.3 KB
Old 19th September 2014, 12:45   #2313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post

I have started feeling the sluggishness in pickup, which I had felt when I filled in Shell a couple of years ago. Hope it wears off..
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Even i faced this issue when i shifted to shell diesel for my i20
Is there any known reason for this sluggishness? I would have expected that the opposite happens, like shifting from Shell to PSU Diesel would cause the sluggishness, so just wondering.
Old 19th September 2014, 13:41   #2314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Is there any known reason for this sluggishness? I would have expected that the opposite happens, like shifting from Shell to PSU Diesel would cause the sluggishness, so just wondering.
Just a guess. Maybe the ECU was used to no-so-good quality of diesel dished out by PSU pumps and has to adapt to the good quality of shell diesel which takes some time
Old 19th September 2014, 15:55   #2315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Just a guess. Maybe the ECU was used to no-so-good quality of diesel dished out by PSU pumps and has to adapt to the good quality of shell diesel which takes some time
Could be. But the sluggishness is clearly noticeable. On the other hand, the diesel engine clatter and noise level seems to have gone down compared to PSU. Win some lose some I guess.
Old 26th September 2014, 16:44   #2316
BHPian

Filled up full tank with Shell(Unleaded) at Shell bunk in Mysore @Rs 74.40.
Attendant asked me whether to fill Super which I declined. He didnt pressiure me. Gave a windshield wash.

Last edited by virgopal : 26th September 2014 at 16:46.
Old 2nd October 2014, 20:38   #2317
Senior - BHPian

Filled Shell SULP @ Rs 78.85 per litre today.
Old 3rd October 2014, 12:13   #2318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Filled up full tank with Shell(Unleaded) at Shell bunk in Mysore @Rs 74.40.
Attendant asked me whether to fill Super which I declined. He didnt pressiure me. Gave a windshield wash.
This is the effect of the mail I had sent to shell. A representative had called me and told they will direct the assistants not to force for super petrol
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2014, 12:31   #2319
BHPian

Have been filling at SHELL for the past 3 years. Every instance they ask to try super unleaded. Guess that is where their profit is.
Filling regular petrol for a marginal premium makes sense because it give an extra KM on the mileage otherwise I don't see the advantage.
Used SHELL super once and felt the engine was revving higher and making more noise ready to be throttled more... I did not like the grunt on the over accelerating engine.

So I went back to the regular, never knew additives can make more energy of the same fuel.
Old 13th October 2014, 16:32   #2320
Senior - BHPian

Will a reduction in the price of PSU diesel also mean there would be a reduction in the cost of Shell diesel since they procure from the PSU's too? I find it strange that shell diesel is almost Rs.2 more expensive than the PSU diesel in Bangalore considering that the PSU diesel in itself is more than the market price.
Old 15th October 2014, 10:08   #2321
BHPian

There is a primary reason why they charge more - they do not get subsidies like HP, BP, IOC and other PSUs. In addition their prices are dependent on international crude oil prices that keep fluctuating. However they maintain international standards with no adulteration. Therefore the premium you pay is for good reason and beneficial to your automobile.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 15th October 2014, 11:01   #2322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnair View Post
There is a primary reason why they charge more - they do not get subsidies like HP, BP, IOC and other PSUs. In addition their prices are dependent on international crude oil prices that keep fluctuating. However they maintain international standards with no adulteration. Therefore the premium you pay is for good reason and beneficial to your automobile.
With the recent price increases, the era of subsidies are over.

Shell doesn't buy from the international market, they buy refined fuel from PSUs.

Even IOC/HP/BP do not adulterate. It is the retailers who adulterate, and prices are not decided by the retailers.
blacksport is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 12:22   #2323
BHPian

Agree that it's the retailers who adulterate, but it's the retailers from
whom we purchase and its us who bear the brunt of adulteration. With Shell, there is a guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 16th October 2014, 12:23   #2324
Senior - BHPian

Shell diesel is cheaper to the PSU by almost Rs.2. When was the last time this happened? This is Bangalore.

http://www.shell.com/ind/products-se...ing-board.html
dass is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 13:58   #2325
Senior - BHPian

I saw the price of diesel was put up as Rs.62 per litre today morning at the Bellary Road Shell Pump.

Looks like shell has jumped the gun and reduced prices before the PSUs can act. Good move.

In other news, my car doesn't feel sluggish anymore after almost a month of Shell Diesel diet. Shell all the way for me from now on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks