Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2015, 16:27   #2491
JD1
BHPian

re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Filled in at Shell bunk on Bommanahalli/Hosur Road (Bangalore). As usual they started to upsell the V-power - "Sir try v-power". Since I already knew what was coming, I thought of amusing myself and bargained with them to let me "try" v-power at normal rate It was so nice to see them back off immediately and stop pestering.
One good thing I noticed was that before starting the pumping they pointed towards the reading (set to zero), confirmed the fuel type I wanted and the amount. Good practice to avoid any ambiguity. I was also pleasantly surprised to see them having a handheld credit card machine so my CC was right in front of me all the time. (this was my first pumping in India so not sure if other BP/HP etc stations also do the same or not).
Oh and before I forget - regular petrol was Rs 70 even. They were out of diesel stock though!!
Old 5th May 2015, 17:13   #2492
Team-BHP Support

Have noticed few of other brands also insisting on you checking O reading before fill and confirming type of fuel. Yes Shell is more consistent, Credit card bit never had a chance since i don't let the card out of my sight at fuel stations
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 19:57   #2493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
I was also pleasantly surprised to see them having a handheld credit card machine so my CC was right in front of me all the time. (this was my first pumping in India so not sure if other BP/HP etc stations also do the same or not).
This is now very common across most of the fuel stations in Tier 1 and Tier 2 cities.

Soon after validating the card swipe with Pin was made mandatory in India, most of the fuel stations had to go for these hand held devices.

After all, not every one sitting on the driver's seat would want to pass on the Pin number to the attendant and nor would the fuel station premises want to witness long queues only because the owner has gone near the wired swiping machine to swipe his card.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2015, 09:34   #2494
Senior - BHPian

So Shell Super has become V-Power now! I did not notice this, and said "full tank super" as usual. The girl said "sir, I will fill V power" and I backed off, thinking it was something new.

But then saw the price, the same Rs 76.45 per litre, and allowed her.
Old 10th May 2015, 15:52   #2495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Soon after validating the card swipe with Pin was made mandatory in India, most of the fuel stations had to go for these hand held devices.
All the handheld I saw used 2G/3G "data" and do not dial out. So, these also are more advanced and are cheaper to operate.
Old 11th May 2015, 10:15   #2496
Senior - BHPian

Filled Shell Unleaded at Whitefield yesterday. Price Rs 69.35/-. They did not even tell me about V Power
Old 11th May 2015, 10:39   #2497
BHPian

Filled Shell Unleaded Petrol (ULP) at Rs 70.00/ per litre (Euro IV) at Old Madras Road yesterday. Shell V-Power is priced at Rs 78.00/ per litre (Euro IV).

Shell ULP Euro III-A priced at Rs 69.45/ and Euro III-B at Rs 69.35/.

Last edited by Grand Drive : 11th May 2015 at 10:40.
Old 11th May 2015, 11:19   #2498
Distinguished - BHPian

Filled up my tank with Shell Unleaded (regular) at 70.xx from Hinjewadi this morning. The whole station is done up in the red V-Power theme. V-Power, which one understands is regular 91 RON petrol with detergent additives, is selling at 78.xx. Seemingly no takers for that since it is little more than the old "Super" in a new bottle.

Shell continues to get my business because they refuse to engage in the short-filling tricks that most PSU company pumps indulge in. But they do seem short on ideas when it comes to promotions. I think this V-power initiative is going to lead them nowhere.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 09:29   #2499
Senior - BHPian

Earlier the nozzles for Super unleaded and Diesel were both blue, I think. I used to worry they might fill the wrong fuel by mistake. Now at least the nozzle for V Power is red. I don't think there is any other difference otherwise between it and SULP.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 19:35   #2500
BHPian

At chennai:

Super unleaded: Rs. 74.45
V-Power: 76.45

For me "super" gave a Km or two more per liter than unleaded. I don't know about vPower. This is my first tankful.

I read in one of the blogs that it's enough to fill a tank full of Vpower for every 5 tank fulls. If there is no mileage difference I might go with this.

Will update this thread with my experience.

Last edited by ravradha : 12th May 2015 at 19:36. Reason: Added a few details
ravradha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 23:10   #2501
Senior - BHPian

^^ Are you sure? AFAIK super unleaded is now V-Power. There is no super unleaded now.
Old 13th May 2015, 11:29   #2502
BHPian

Bunk: Shell Pump at Mahadevapura, Whitefield road, Bangalore.

Last week: I drove in, the attendant dropped Vpower and filled Normal petrol with one smile.

Today: The pump doesnt have normal petrol. Attendent said only VPower. First time I am seeing the station running out of Normal petrol. I drove out with a No Thanks .

Any one else saw same or is it marketing tact?
Old 13th May 2015, 11:58   #2503
Distinguished - BHPian

Decided to try out V-Power for my Laura TSI. Filled up 30 lts with about 10lts already in the tank. I had to pick up my cousin's family from the airport during early morning hours. To my surprise I could feel that the engine was running smoother and car was literally galloping ahead and pulling like a freight train in each and every gear. Maybe it was the cool air of the night, but it certainly was no placebo. I just returned a couple of days back from a 1,500 km road trip and the difference was very telling.

I am a regular Shell Unleaded user and have tried Shell Super several times in the past 73,xxx kms in my Laura. I don't think I have experienced this kind of performance ever before! The performance was comparable to what I got with Speed 97. If V power gives me such results on a regular basis, I have no qualms is paying the Rs. 8.00 premium they are asking for it over normal unleaded.

Next up, V power for the Polo GT TSI. Lets see how the smaller TSI reponds to V power
Santoshbhat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 14:07   #2504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
Bunk: Shell Pump at Mahadevapura, Whitefield road, Bangalore.

Last week: I drove in, the attendant dropped Vpower and filled Normal petrol with one smile.

Today: The pump doesnt have normal petrol. Attendent said only VPower. First time I am seeing the station running out of Normal petrol. I drove out with a No Thanks .

Any one else saw same or is it marketing tact?
My wife experienced the same last week at Shell Outlet on Kadugodi - Hoskote road. She had to fill V Power as fuel level was low in car.
Old 2nd June 2015, 10:48   #2505

I own a GT-TSI. I have been filling up Super and now V-Power to my car since i bought the car about a year back. It does add a lot to the smoothness of the engine. There is also a little bit of boost in power for sure. I do not know if there is any other perks involved, but the smoothness of the engine while combustion is really good. Butter smooth.

May be I cannot relate it, but when I went in for the first service of my car, the mechanic told me that my car was one of the few of well maintained cars in terms of its engine response. I strongly feel its because of the type of fuel which went into it.

I see some hatred, non belief and some people completely against the type of fuel that shell provides. My simple question to them, If you do not believe in the company and the fuel it sells, why do you even go to Shell ?
sovenkat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks