Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2015, 11:28   #2536
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

In and around Bangalore, My Ertiga has been consistently running on Shell Diesel and so is another friend's Linea. We have faced no such issues.

And since we also take up a lot of highway drives, we prefer BPCL and have found no differences whatsoever.

Ia m talking about ~60,000 kms of usage of which 35,000 kms would have got clocked burning Shell Diesel alone.

In the city, I get anything between 15-16.5 KMPL depending on traffic pattern (Single driver, 100% AC). On the highways, a constant 100KMPH returns me 21-22 easily with at least 3 co-passengers.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 11:34   #2537
BHPian

This is interesting. I have a similar feeling. My Pajero Sport gives a rock steady mileage of ~10 kpl. Last tank full with Shell, I got around ~9 kpl. I dismissed it thinking it was some wrong math (I always use empty tank method), and have refilled it with Shell again. Will keep a close eye this time, and if I get less than 10, I will go back to BP to see if the 10 figure returns.

Interesting observation for sure.
Old 16th July 2015, 11:35   #2538
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Parag here. The last 30k kms on my Linea, 80% of the times I have used Shell Diesel. I don't see any issues with it if I were to compare with other known pumps like Reddy Petrol pump. Mileage of performance remains same.

I get a paltry 9-9.5kmpl in city. MID average speed is 12-13kmph. I drive entirely within the city and never get a chance to use 5th gear. Very rarely get to use 4th and 3rd.

Highway: 16-22 depending on which highway and what speeds I do and whether I am alone or with family.
funkykar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 12:39   #2539
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
I have used only Shell after moving to Bangalore in 2013.

I recently rode in an Ola cab - a Mahindra Verito diesel. The cabbie was chatty; he had purchased the car new only 3 months prior. He said he used to fill only Shell diesel, but the mileage was poor. He switched to BP diesel and gets good mileage and is happy with the quality of BP fuel.

My car is petrol and I have always got what I consider poor mileage.

Anybody can shed more light on this issue?
I've heard about this drop in mileage from some Diesel car owners with Shell Diesel. Don't think any petrol car owners have faced this issue. The fact that so many two wheeler riders queue up at Shell should be a testimony to the fact that Shell petrol does give better results than PSU petrol.

As far as my experience is concerned , I've been filling up Shell Normal Unleaded regularly when I am in Bangalore. I do a lot of runs between Bangalore and Belgaum (500 kms from BLR). Typically my BLR to Belgaum run is on Shell Unleaded BS4 and Belgaum to Bangalore run is on BP or IOC BS3. I get the exact same mileage on both runs and with no difference in smoothness etc.... I should mention that there are some very good reliable pumps in Belgaum.

Offlate I have been filling up Shell V power for both my Polo GT TSI and Laura TSI and I can feel a little improvement in throttle response and smoothness. Haven't been able to check mileage properly as my running has been low and within city only.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 13:12   #2540
BHPian

Since there are conflicting reports, perhaps, it is a bunk specific or dispenser specific issue? All my Shell fills are at the Gottigere Shell in Bannerghatta Road. The dispenser is always the second one counting from the road side. It is difficult to use another one because my fuel door is on the right (driver's side) and this is the most convenient dispenser. The other two are invariably taken up with vehicles that have the fuel door on the other side, and the last dispenser is only for 2-wheelers.

I only fill non-Shell when on long-distance trips, and highway mileage is anyway more than city mileage, but not as much as one would expect because the Linea T-Jet hates non-sedate driving (from a mileage point of view) and I am certainly not a sedate driver.

Last edited by TheTeacher : 16th July 2015 at 13:14.
Old 16th July 2015, 21:24   #2541
Distinguished - BHPian

70.xx for regular unleaded at Hinjewadi this morning. The pump had a sign saying V power only but the attendant waved me in. Topped up my windshield washer fluid as well.
Old 17th July 2015, 12:19   #2542
BHPian

My observation is shell diesel performs poorly on MJD 75hp and no such issues reported on 90hp. We have noticed this on Swift DDiS too.
Old 17th July 2015, 12:38   #2543
Distinguished - BHPian

There is no contradiction in the points about Shell Diesel's performance. It is more about lack of compatibility with certain engines. It is visible with certain engines, but not (so) visible on others / not present on other engines.
Old 17th July 2015, 14:16   #2544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
There is no contradiction in the points about Shell Diesel's performance. It is more about lack of compatibility with certain engines. It is visible with certain engines, but not (so) visible on others / not present on other engines.
Not sure I understand this Condor - please explain more:
1. What point of the engine is this about, whats different in different engines, with maybe some possible examples of which ones work better and why?
2. How is Shell diesel different from normal govt pumps' diesel
3. Would we see similar Engine wise differences with non Shell diesel as well?

Thanks in advance!
Old 17th July 2015, 14:56   #2545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Any Shell petrol users with lower mileage?
When I was in Mysore (2-3 years back), I used to get around 42-43 km/l in my bike with Shell petrol (Hunsur road pump for those who know). With the BP pump near my place, it was 45-46 km/l. This was observed many times. So I stopped using Shell in my last days there.

Also, this difference with Shell was mainly seen in BP. IOC was the worst IMO.

After moving to BLR, I started using Shell again due to the dirty tricks and the goons employed by the pumps near my place.
In the PSU bunks, I have not filled for more than Rs.200 (in one fill) till date after moving here. So I do not know about the current difference in mileage, if any.

I am planning to tank up in a reliable BP pump soon and will come back with my observations.

Last edited by theredliner : 17th July 2015 at 14:58.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 15:37   #2546
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
Not sure I understand this Condor - please explain more:
Anshuman, I wish I had more info about what the oil co's put into their diesels, but I have personally seen the a drop in FE with Shell diesel with my Sumo, but not so on other vehicles. If you go back in the Shell fuel threads by a few years you can see others also saying there was a drop in FE.

The last point is the reason I said that neither side is wrong. There are reports that FE has dropped, and there are reports that FE has increased. These are individual experiences, and a person should go with his experience.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 15:26   #2547
BHPian

Tanked up diesel @52.20/liter from Shell Navalur, Chennai
Old 10th November 2015, 15:57   #2548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Since Shell already sells the Super, which is 91 RON with additives, my guess is that the V Power will be 95+ RON (which is what it is, worldwide AFAIK). Since BLR has a good number of superbikes, it should sell decently as well.

AFAIK, Canada uses AKI. So, 91 Octane in AKI ~ 95 RON (which is the unit used in India)
Any authentic way to confirm if V power has higer RON that the regular fuel ?

I was at the Shell Pump near Wakad, Pune (On NH4) today. As usual I asked for normal Petrol.
There were 2 attendant who requested me to try V Power. They specifically said "this car" (Polo GT TSI) can make full use of higher octane fuel.

I still went ahead with Shell Regular since adding higher octane fuel and driving at snails pace on city streets is plain stupid. Shell regular was retailing at 66.x and Vpower was 74.x

I was actually impressed that they were trained to "upsell" based on the car. Thumbs up to Shell training.
Old 10th November 2015, 16:05   #2549
Distinguished - BHPian

Shell adds proprietary additives to the PSU (usually MRPL supplied I think)fuel once it is at their petrol pumps. These make the positive or negative difference.
Old 10th November 2015, 19:19   #2550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
I was actually impressed that they were trained to "upsell" based on the car. Thumbs up to Shell training...
Not sure if it is training or the "profit margin" that drives this "upsell solicitation". In Shell Pune (Mundhwa) where I am a regular customer, they try to sell me V-Power for my ~10 year old CI Bullet too :-)

-BJ

Most Viewed