Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2016, 09:07   #2596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 View Post
Sorry for the ignorant question - but what makes Shell fuels (petrol or diesel) 'special' so that they can charge more? I've noticed that their fuel stations are clean and well maintained (in Bangalore at least) but that doesn't justify charging a premium, does it? Is there any difference in the quality of the fuel itself? (I don't notice any difference in performance whether I fill Caltex, Mobil, BP or Shell BTW).
Thanks!
I have no idea. I had used it extensively in Pune and Mysore. The engine sounded smoother and mileage was better, upto 5 KMPL for my Pulsar. Maybe they use some banned substance like Sharapova.
atnyia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 09:15   #2597
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shell Diesel now available at market price

Don't know if this has been announced much later than being operational. Price of diesel on NH4 bypass in Pune has been less than PSU bunks in city for last 2-3 months. One Shell bunk even has a banner stating diesel available at reduced prices. Other one near warje had a discount of Rs.3 per litre of fuel if can of engine oil (5 lit or more) was bought at outlet.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 10:26   #2598
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Don't know if this has been announced much later than being operational.
Could be that they started small, but wanted it to be in effect in 6 states before making a big announcement.

Shell definitely has nicer pumps than the average PSU outlet, and the earlier pricing gave it a sort of a premium image too. This could work in its favour now.
Old 7th April 2016, 10:28   #2599
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Be it Shell/HPCL/IOC/BPCL/Essar/Reliance, everyone gets their fuel(Petrol/Diesel) from Devanamgoti IOCL depot near K R Puram.

Shell do not have any refineries of its own in India.

It has to buy fuel from one of the PSU oil marketing companies.

As can be seen from the first post, out of 82 shell pumps, 27 are in Bangalore. Why?

The perception of Shell fuel to be superior and more number of shell pumps in Bangalore, reminds me a Cholesterol free eggs sold through Food world chains in Bangalore in 2000-01 @ Rs 5/ egg. That time market price of egg was less than Rs 1.50. They advertised with huge bill boards and sold these eggs for Six months afterwards , these eggs disappeared as fast as they appeared. These eggs were sold only in Bangalore at that time and only at Food world stores. No other cities. They even claimed these eggs are the result of research from IVRI(Indian Veterinary Research Institute). As ICAR scientist, we know it is not correct.

I never got better mileage from Shell fuel.

Mods: Please delete the post if it is irrelevant

Last edited by rkg : 7th April 2016 at 10:30.
rkg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 11:11   #2600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Be it Shell/HPCL/IOC/BPCL/Essar/Reliance, everyone gets their fuel(Petrol/Diesel) from Devanamgoti IOCL depot near K R Puram.

It has to buy fuel from one of the PSU oil marketing companies.

As can be seen from the first post, out of 82 shell pumps, 27 are in Bangalore. Why?

I never got better mileage from Shell fuel.

Mods: Please delete the post if it is irrelevant
Well I don't know about how the oil market works but I have noticed that the petrol available In shell and hp and ioc petrol pumps are different in colour. She'll had a bright golden orange shade whereas the others have a dull yellow to dull orange hue.

This fact got reinstated in my mind when a friends thunderbird broke down during a ride due to an fuel injection problem and the mechanic immediately recognized the petrol being from shell.

My experience at Shell is also constantly good with polite staff, additional services like windshield cleaning and free oil change and their air pumps always work and are manned by an attendant unlike other psu petrol stations so we are in fact paying for the fuel as well as these extra services, and in today's era the experience is as important as the product itself.
Thebat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 11:14   #2601
BANNED

Quote:
Sorry for the ignorant question - but what makes Shell fuels (petrol or diesel) 'special' so that they can charge more? I've noticed that their fuel stations are clean and well maintained (in Bangalore at least) but that doesn't justify charging a premium, does it? Is there any difference in the quality of the fuel itself? (I don't notice any difference in performance whether I fill Caltex, Mobil, BP or Shell BTW).
You are theoretically correct since Shell buys fuel from IOC. However, with malpractice endemic (with PSUs) Shell fuel bunks are known for full measurement and no adulteration. As for RIL they market their own stuff.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 12:09   #2602
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
As for RIL they market their own stuff.
No even Reliance buys from PSU Oil marketing companies in south, north, east India. May be west India the supplies are from their refinery

It is mostly like this, each OIL PSU/Private refineries cater to petrol pumps in that area due to logistics

Reliance pumps have a centralized billing feature( thats what i heard, when they started the service several years back). Each retail sale generated by every reliance pump gets registered with head office. Hence a pump can not sell more that what they procured from Oil marketing firm. This effectively prevented adulteration to a great extent.

With regard to Shell i do not know their pumps have centralized billing. At least i have not come across any such news in this regard.

I had very bad experience with shell, where pump attended did not give back the change, until i asked. I was never offered windshield cleaning at Shell. Rather i got it without even asking from HPCL outlets. I have tried three / four time with shell and compared with HPCL/BPCL. I always got more mileage with PSU pumps. My earlier car Indica Vista ran 92000 km . never had fuel pump issues. (98% times fuel filled from PSU pumps, that too across the length and breadth of the country)
It is mostly a perception that Shell is better.

To each his own

Last edited by rkg : 7th April 2016 at 12:11.
rkg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 13:40   #2603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Be it Shell/HPCL/IOC/BPCL/Essar/Reliance, everyone gets their fuel(Petrol/Diesel) from Devangonti IOCL depot near K R Puram.

PSU bunks get it from the Devangonthi and the other near by depots. Shell for surely gets it from MRPL Mangalore. Shell does not source from the Devangonthi Depot. They have their own tankers ferrying fuel to their stations.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 14:28   #2604
Senior - BHPian

Looks like everyone missed the real bomb and Shell is quite slow to react (2 months slow):
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3908426

Reliance was selling below the PSU prices.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 15:06   #2605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
In India I would be more concerned about the diesel quality in terms of how it gets stored and transported.
Jeroen
This, coupled with the fact that you don't have to worry about the quantity or about the attendant who is trying to scam you, are the reasons I stick with Shell whenever I can.

The value additions shell offers (cleaning of windshield, free air, small convenience store etc) are also a plus.

--Anoop

Last edited by GTO : 8th April 2016 at 13:05. Reason: Typo
Old 7th April 2016, 15:45   #2606
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
They have their own tankers ferrying fuel to their stations.
Quote:
Reliance pumps have a centralized billing feature
I believe this is the key differentiator between Shell/ Reliance and other PSU apart from the centralised billing of reliance.
Won't have much expertise but I hear Reliance refineries are newer ones and with better technologies & can process different type of crude .

http://www.business-standard.com/art...1600173_1.html

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th April 2016 at 15:46.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 16:12   #2607
BHPian

Quote:
...I've noticed that their fuel stations are clean and well maintained (in Bangalore at least) but that doesn't justify charging a premium, does it? ...
Why not?? 40p a litre is a premium of less than 1% when the cost is INR 47 or 48 per litre. I would gladly patronise a pump thats clean, well maintained, with staff who are attentive and above all able to enforce a proper queue system. I imagine there must be more than a few people like myself which has enabled these guys to remain in business so long. I feel that in India we have a tendency to underestimate the value of packaging and service quality, focussing only on the perceived "value for money" of the product itself.
ajitkommini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 16:17   #2608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Shell definitely has nicer pumps than the average PSU outlet,
Partly true, however off late I see a lot of PSU bunks which are much better than SHELL be it their approach, the facilities and the staff. HP I believe are a lot more proactive as I see their bunks in much better shape.

A point to note, none of the shell bunks I have visited in Bangalore have nitrogen, while most of the HP ones have it and some of them do a free top up as well.

Sorry for the , but I thought I should call this out.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 19:00   #2609
BHPian

Have been a regular user of Shell from last 3 years now and i must appreciate the value that they bring in to the entire eco system of filling fuel.

1 draw back that i want them to address will be to bring in Nitrogen filling for tyres.

As rightly pointed out by someone, paying 1% extra is OK for the clean, hassle free experience that they deliver, consistently!
Old 7th April 2016, 20:04   #2610
BANNED

Quote:
No even Reliance buys from PSU Oil marketing companies in south, north, east India. May be west India the supplies are from their refinery
I hear on authority that the bulk of PSU BS-IV Diesel is sourced from RIL. They buy Euro-V and then cut with their own BS-III stuff to get it down to BS-IV. They are unable to produce enough to feed the forty odd BS-IV cities.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks