Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2016, 10:42   #2626
JD1
BHPian

re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Not exactly fuel price post, but off-topic - rainwater entered one of the diesel tanks at Shell Kanakapura rd (Bangalore)-
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...ece?ref=tpnews
Old 3rd June 2016, 11:04   #2627
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
Not exactly fuel price post, but off-topic - rainwater entered one of the diesel tanks at Shell Kanakapura rd (Bangalore)-
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...ece?ref=tpnews
Its improbable but I wonder if digging for metro work has any relation to this.

On a lighter note, the quoted part below made me
Petrol tank was leaking and hence diesel got mixed up with water!!!
Quote:
“There was leakage in the underground petrol tank and the diesel in one tank got mixed with rainwater,” he said.
Old 3rd June 2016, 11:18   #2628
BHPian

Filled up V-Power for my GT TSi in Pune (PCMC) at an eye-watering 79.05/litre 2 days ago, right after the hike.
I have found the turbocharged engine to be smoother after switching to V-Power over the past few months, maybe it's a placebo effect, I'm not sure.
In either case, with my monthly running of <1000 kms, doesn't pinch too hard on the pocket.
Old 3rd June 2016, 11:20   #2629
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is something that I remembered from an incident to a BHPian on NH4 in 2010.

One of the members had then given a detailed explanation on possible reasons for water contamination in fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Didnt want to go into the depth of it but now since u Asked I will explain to You What happens. The tanks At Most of the Bunks in HPCL are of 4 Sizes 11 KL (Kilo Litres) 16 KL , 22 KL And 45 KL, Water always settles Down at the bottom of the tank And we have a Water Paste with which we check water levels In Our tanks DAily On contact with water the dip turns pink

Now Ususally the Bunks that Sell High Volumes say in the region of 10 KL - 20 Kl A day normaly keep their Tanks Full Or more than Half The Only time Water will come out of the dispenser is when the The Petrol Stock is really low For Eg My Dispenser will stop dispensing Fuel When i have 1000 litres is the tank In A 22 Kl tank. Now at this point of time When i am low on Stock if i have water in my tank it will be a mixture of water and Petrol that will come out.

Now Low volume selling bunks usually run Low In Stock whereas Pumps In the Metros will get stocks each day Due to high volume so our tanks seldom go that Low hence no chance of water Coming out

Hope that explains how water goes into the car
EDIT: And that member I believe belongs to the Oil Industry as per his profile and hence could be almost precise with the reasoning due to the experience.

Last edited by paragsachania : 3rd June 2016 at 11:42.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 20:17   #2630
Senior - BHPian

Why is petrol not available is shell bunks in Bangalore? Only V power is available. I have noticed this for the past month at 2 outlets. So now am back to BP.
Old 14th July 2016, 21:41   #2631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Why is petrol not available is shell bunks in Bangalore? Only V power is available. I have noticed this for the past month at 2 outlets. So now am back to BP.
Maybe your luck is bad. I visit a Shell bunk near my house (Old Madras Rd) and always find normal petrol. Only in one instance they didn't have normal petrol since it was being loaded and the attendant asked me to wait for 10 mins or to go for V-Power. Since I wasn't in a hurry, I went back and came later to fill petrol. You can try complaining to the in-charge of the respective bunks, that should give you some clarity.
Old 14th July 2016, 21:54   #2632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
  • There are a total of 33 stations that are open 24 hours-less than 50%.
  • KA had 16 stations that are open 24-hour followed by GJ(12) and TN(5)
  • None of the 12 stations in MH are open for 24 hours
The Kalasagar Shell station in Pimpri is, since recently, open 24hrs. They even have a sign saying the same, and I have refueled there around midnight as well, recently. The Shell station directly opposite this, on the other side of the highway, however is not 24hrs open.

Last edited by haldar_siliguri : 14th July 2016 at 21:54. Reason: Spelling errors.
Old 14th July 2016, 22:11   #2633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post

+1
The bunks in Vittal Mallya Road & Bull Temple Road have been telling the same story! In the last 2-3 months, I would have visited 5-6 times across the above 2 bunks. They always claim only V power availability.

I have now stopped visiting Shell bunks for petrol.
Old 15th July 2016, 09:18   #2634
Distinguished - BHPian

I heard that there is a new Shell station opening in Bengaluru on Uttarahalli-Kengeri road near JSSIT in between BP and IOC fuel stations.

It's close to my house but I don't drive on that daily.
So, can people who travel on that road let me know if it has started its operations now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
The Kalasagar Shell station in Pimpri is, since recently, open 24hrs. They even have a sign saying the same, and I have refueled there around midnight as well, recently.
Good. Shell, or any other brand, It really helps to have 24/7 fuel stations around

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
+1
The bunks in Vittal Mallya Road & Bull Temple Road have been telling the same story! In the last 2-3 months, I would have visited 5-6 times across the above 2 bunks. They always claim only V power availability.

I have now stopped visiting Shell bunks for petrol.
This bad, frustrating and aggressive strategy of marketing V-power has made a comeback since many months now in all the stations.
But what I have seen near my house is that this strategy is employed during peak hours (morning and evening) when people are in need of petrol the most.
Other times, they don't say anything.

I have driven out from stations without filling when they say they have only V-power.
But, I make sure I tell them that I know that they are lying.
This happens to me even in a shell station where I'm a regular and most of the staff recognise me and my car.

Even now, when they actually fill normal petrol, they pester me for filling V-power and every time I have to tell them that they can't tell me what I want.
This irritating marketing of V-power had reduced because of complaints, but it is back

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 15th July 2016 at 09:23.
Old 15th July 2016, 12:06   #2635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honestly, I didn't know this. I'm actually surprised.
Its been more than 8 years that I'm visiting Shell and I've never spent less than 500 Rupees. And I've used a credit card 90% of the times. Each and everytime, A surcharge has been levied.
I have 3 Credit cards in total and only one of them has the surcharge refund plan. Every time I use only that card. The surcharge is levied and then returned back.
My post was specific to HDFC Bank credit card. It is not a co-branded card. Any spend above a certain amount at Shell pumps do not attract a surcharge. That is, the charge is levied and then reversed.

The same card at other bunks will attract a surcharge though.
Old 15th July 2016, 12:40   #2636
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have driven out from stations without filling when they say they have only V-power.
But, I make sure I tell them that I know that they are lying.
I too have driven out in such situations. Guess we need to start telling them explicitly that if they cant give what we want, we will go else where too.

OT - with Reliance resuming operations, I am also visiting Reliance bunks when ever I can. (Though none in South BLR)
Old 26th August 2016, 19:59   #2637
Distinguished - BHPian

A new shell fuel station in Bengaluru on Uttarahalli-Kengeri road opposite to JSS engg. College is open it seems. Today evening i got the following sms
Quote:
Shell welcomes one and all to our new site on Uttarahalli main road. Come and experience the Shell difference
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 22:28   #2638
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This bad, frustrating and aggressive strategy of marketing V-power has made a comeback since many months now in all the stations.
But what I have seen near my house is that this strategy is employed during peak hours (morning and evening) when people are in need of petrol the most.
Other times, they don't say anything.
Simply lodge a complaint on the Shell site mentioning the lack of stock, see the manager running after you to provide even stock updates . My colleague did that and the Sadashivnagar branch now sells ordinary petrol apart from V-Power

Last edited by ampere : 29th August 2016 at 09:19. Reason: Typo fixed; reduced quoted content
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 01:53   #2639
BHPian

I myself have lodged a complaint with the bill number after filling v-power from jp nagar shell. Got prompt replies from the area manager. Have not experienced the "out of stock" problem post that.

I did this after i realised its a scam.
Old 27th August 2016, 10:51   #2640
BHPian

Quote:
A new shell fuel station in Bengaluru on Uttarahalli-Kengeri road opposite to JSS engg. College is open it seems. Today evening i got the following sms
Yes It's operational
blorebuddy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks