Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2016, 07:30   #2656
BHPian

Re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
It looks like Toyota does not approve of Shell diesel for its vehicles. The reason given for not recommending Shell diesel was to do with the viscosity levels of the same according to him.
I have been filling shell diesel mostly in my fortuner 3.0 and can correlate to black smoke and soot level going up after filling from there. The engine roughness note also increases however on the brighter side, the mileage in city increases by 1-1.5kmpl of shell diesel. Off late after filling from shell diesel the black smoke/soot is much that it leave black soot marks on the bumper.
Now i need to search a good COCO in Koregaon Park in Pune and in and around Kormangla in Bangalore.

Regards,
RJ
Old 7th November 2016, 13:33   #2657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadjourno View Post
I have been filling shell diesel mostly in my fortuner 3.0 and can correlate to black smoke and soot level going up after filling from there. The engine roughness note also increases however on the brighter side, the mileage in city increases by 1-1.5kmpl of shell diesel. Off late after filling from shell diesel the black smoke/soot is much that it leave black soot marks on the bumper.
Now i need to search a good COCO in Koregaon Park in Pune and in and around Kormangla in Bangalore.

Regards,
RJ
Well, good to know the increase in FE but I had a response from another bhpian in the Toyota Innova Crysta thread that his catalytic converter(in the previous gen Innova) went bust and the reason attributed was Shell diesel. So better to play it safe
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 16:32   #2658
Distinguished - BHPian

Got this SMS on my phone a few minutes ago.
Quote:
Dear Shell Customer, as per GoI notice private petrol pumps can not accept INR500 & INR1000 currency notes from 9-nov. We regret the inconvenience caused
Today morning when I was coming to office, I saw that a Shell fuel station was closed. I was not happy because even though GOI told that petrol stations must accept 500/1000 rupees currency today. After this SMS, I once again went through the press release of RBI and it is clearly mentioned that Public sector Petrol stations will accept 500/1000 rupees currency. Then I thought they could have opened but for only card payments. But I guess Shell has closed to avoid any problems with public who fail to understand this and probably create issues which is fair enough.

EDIT:
And just after I post this, I got another SMS as quoted below. So now they'll have to explain people who have failed to notice that only Public sector Petrol stations can accept 500/1000 rupees currency today.
For people like me who always fill fuel on credit card/Shell Cash card, it is good that Shell is open.
Quote:
Dear Customer, We are accepting cash notes below INR 500 denominations, Shell Cash cards & Bank Cards for payments. Looking forward to serve you

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 9th November 2016 at 16:38.
Old 19th November 2016, 15:15   #2659
BHPian

The Bannerghatta Road outlet of Shell is accepting payment only in the form of cards. They are not accepting cash in any form (irrespective of the denomination).
Old 20th November 2016, 13:48   #2660
Senior - BHPian

Just saw this news on youtube- Looks like a Shell bunk! - Original date published - n Jun 1, 2016
Old 12th March 2017, 13:07   #2661
BHPian

I don't know why there is so much fuss about Shell. I haven't had any different experience with shell. In fact when I filled shell petrol for my Thunderbird, I felt lesser pickup and roughness in the ride and mileage also reduced a bit. Really don't know why!!
Also I didn't feel any great response when I filled diesel for my rapid and didn't notice any significant change in the performance or mileage.
Otherwise I am ok with any COCO. I generally fill at IOC COCO

Last edited by rki2007 : 12th March 2017 at 13:10.
Old 13th March 2017, 10:20   #2662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I don't know why there is so much fuss about Shell. I haven't had any different experience with shell. In fact when I filled shell petrol for my Thunderbird, I felt lesser pickup and roughness in the ride and mileage also reduced a bit. Really don't know why!!
Also I didn't feel any great response when I filled diesel for my rapid and didn't notice any significant change in the performance or mileage.
Otherwise I am ok with any COCO. I generally fill at IOC COCO
If you have COCO outlet near by, better stick to it. I have also not found anything special about shell. Their service was better initially but that is not the case now. Also, Shell costs marginally more than PSU pumps.
Old 13th March 2017, 14:14   #2663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I don't know why there is so much fuss about Shell...
I was one of the early adopters of Shell Petrol. Used to ride from Rajajinagar 6th Block in Bengaluru to Mysore Road just to tank up my Splendor. Those days, Shell used to charge a significant premium over the PSUs even for normal petrol.

The extra money paid was indeed worth for the following reasons.

1. The pump dispensed correct quantity of petrol. I was never shortchanged.
2. The fuel was not adulterated.
3. The pump attendants were always polite but firm.
4. Customers were required to come in a proper queue and hence no pushing around.
5. Payments through cards could be made easily.
4. Frequent promotional offers would get me some interesting gifts (a red colored toy Ferrari can still be found in my little one's toy chest).

There was of course the minor inconvenience of having to get off the bike before filling up .

I believe it was the correct quantity and quality of fuel dispensed that resulted in better overall pick up and economy. I can tell this confidently, having experienced both.

Even today, whenever possible, I patronise Shell pumps.
dailydriver is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 00:49   #2664
Senior - BHPian

Shell pumps are harassing petrol vehicle owners by trying to push V-power. I recently had to shout at a guy because he made me repeat 6 times that I wanted ordinary petrol for my 13 year old Alto and didn't want the benefits of V-power. This has happened quite frequently at 2 Shell bunks in Bangalore. Now they are trying to sell other merchandise too.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 09:54   #2665

The Shell bunk opposite to Orion Mall Rajajinagar is now 24/7 (has been for a month or so)
Woohoo.
Old 20th March 2017, 15:46   #2666
BHPian

How good is V Power? The bunks always try to hard sell V Power, I've had to firmly tell them on many occassions that I am good with normal fuel. Though I have a GT TSI, I frankly do not see much of a difference between ordinary fuel and V Power. Most of the times I am told they do not have normal petrol/normal petrol would take time as they do not have stock. AFAIK, V Power does not have a higher octane rating either?
Old 20th March 2017, 17:57   #2667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
How good is V Power? The bunks always try to hard sell V Power, I've had to firmly tell them on many occassions that I am good with normal fuel. Though I have a GT TSI, I frankly do not see much of a difference between ordinary fuel and V Power. Most of the times I am told they do not have normal petrol/normal petrol would take time as they do not have stock. AFAIK, V Power does not have a higher octane rating either?
After having refused Vpower innumerable times (The way they push for it gets irritating most of the times), finally filled a tankful of Vpower in my GT TSI a few days ago. With driving conditions almost similar, Shockingly I found that the FE had decreased by atleast 4kms!!! Engine didn't sound any different too. However for the refill I have got Vpower again because it will be unfair to decide only on one fill. There is another half a tank of fuel still left. A substantial change only can make me go for Vpower at 8 rupees more over the normal unleaded version.
Old 21st March 2017, 21:06   #2668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
After having refused Vpower innumerable times (The way they push for it gets irritating most of the times), finally filled a tankful of Vpower in my GT TSI a few days ago. With driving conditions almost similar, Shockingly I found that the FE had decreased by atleast 4kms!!! Engine didn't sound any different too. However for the refill I have got Vpower again because it will be unfair to decide only on one fill. There is another half a tank of fuel still left. A substantial change only can make me go for Vpower at 8 rupees more over the normal unleaded version.
Hemanth, if this is your first filling of premium fuel, there is a good chance of that the fuel injectors must be getting clogged by the gum deposits which might have come off due to the action of additive present in premium petrol. You are right, filling a couple of tank-fulls fill completely remove the gum deposit and you might see an improved performance. On the flip side, there can be excessive clogging which might lead to knocking as well.

I had used premium petrol in my Maruthi 800 during the late 2000's consistently and found no issues of knocking but when I used it in my pulsar, there was consistent knocking and eventually I stopped using premium petrol in it. In my humble opinion, other additives like Wynns or System G/D actually do a great job and are more economical than VPower.
sumzup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 09:21   #2669
Senior - BHPian

I have been using nothing but She'll VPower in my bike from 2007 when the Shell pump opened in my locality, and my car from the day I bought it in 2009. I find it excellent. I did not want my bike silencer decarbed, but my mechanic felt it would be better as the odo was at 115k KM. They found very little deposit when it was cut open and were taken aback.
Old 21st May 2017, 19:31   #2670
Senior - BHPian

The Shell pump on Bannerghata road, Gottigere is not dispensing fuel since about a week. They have put up the red cone barricades. Not sure what is the reason. Any BHPians come across this? Any alternate Shell/COCO pumps nearby? I am based near Hulimavu
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks