Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2018, 14:35   #2701
BHPian

Re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

From when Shell normal diesel became costlier by Rs. 5.40 than the Govt outlets in Bangalore?. It was higher just by 70 -90 paise till last week. I regularly fill shell diesel only.

Just checked the diesel price today. It's 79.90 in shell whereas 74.40 in other govt outlets.

There was a 5-6 rupee difference in petrol in shell. But, diesel was more or less same with others.

Will definitely has to rethink on continuing with Shell diesel. Paying a premium of ~Rs.6 just for normal diesel is not worth at all.
Old 2nd October 2018, 09:43   #2702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
From when Shell normal diesel became costlier by Rs. 5.40 than the Govt outlets in Bangalore?. It was higher just by 70 -90 paise till last week. I regularly fill shell diesel only.

Just checked the diesel price today. It's 79.90 in shell whereas 74.40 in other govt outlets.
This was an error at their website. (May be on that day when I checked).
The price differential is 80 paise for normal Diesel (higher) than the PSU price in Bangalore.
Old 15th October 2018, 09:39   #2703
Senior - BHPian

We use Shell Power Petrol (premium petrol) usually, but in the JP Nagar Petrol bunk (Bangalore) it feels like normal petrol. And this fuel is really expensive!

Several times, just to cross check we hop over to the Lalbagh bunk and get the desired 'kick'. I have raised this issue with them over email.

Last edited by Sebring : 15th October 2018 at 09:43.
Old 3rd December 2018, 10:55   #2704
Senior - BHPian

Something is amiss with VPOWER. I raised a complaint about the quality of fuel in JP Nagar outlet and it was resolved, now today I filled up at Bannerghatta road and they fill normal fuel, saying its VPOWER. There is no way to check the veracity except engine smoothness and pick up. Lalbagh outlet has been consistent in quality, so I guess we stick to doing long distances just to fill up. Lodged a fresh complaint and asked to speak to somone senior ay Shell!

Last edited by Sebring : 3rd December 2018 at 10:58.
Old 12th December 2018, 21:28   #2705
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh man, wish I had seen this earlier.. would've avoided this visit altogether. Had the misfortune of going to ORR and filled up petrol from Shell as the gauge was 50% full.. so I had the crazy idea to top up.

Stereotypical experience as described in this thread.. a lady rushes to the dispenser after quickly asking me whether I need petrol or diesel, I answer petrol and the dispenser is already sitting into the tank and the filling starts.. by the time I glance at the price gauge I was literally dumbstruck as I don't fill too often (once in 2-3 weeks) and I wondered how the price was this high all of a sudden, the cheeky lady had put in the V-Power as default! Out of nowhere comes a man and almost shouts "open the bonnet", now I don't take very kindly to strangers giving me direct orders let alone talking in a tone as if to say the bonnet is on fire and I have to open it urgently, I shout back in a resounding tone NOO and off he went (somewhere I knew that this is a scam, I'm used to snake-oil hawkers in bunks) but never knew the naughty woman had already played the first hand of duplicity. Well, I wrote off the extra expense as maybe the 3rd petrol bunk scam that I've faced so far in a decade plus of driving, not bad and besides its "premium" fuel I thought, as much as I knew that they are literally useless.

There is this one surprise though and I say it as someone who monitors every beat, every rev point of the car when in motion - the car has suddenly become a go-kart. The grunting of the engine when moving from 1st to 2nd has almost vanished.. the car blips through the gears, is holding revs higher and much quieter and surges forward 10%+ quicker than before, the lame transmission acts more like a manual car now. Not bad for getting hoodwinked.

Still, my first and last Shell visit. Never seen a more crooked bunk than this, hands down.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 10:35   #2706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
There is this one surprise though and I say it as someone who monitors every beat, every rev point of the car when in motion - the car has suddenly become a go-kart.
Even I have experienced this with V-power, albeit with my RC390. There is a marked difference with just one tankful and engine becomes noticeably smoother and there is a slight bump (~5%) in fuel economy as well. Yet, it takes a lot of courage to fill up V-power considering the premium since Shell regular is couple of rupees expensive than PUC fuel and V-power is almost costly by 10 rupees.
Old 17th January 2019, 20:08   #2707
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Is there a Shell bunk near Swati Delicacy, Shell website seems to indicate presence of one. I never saw though.
Old 17th January 2019, 20:40   #2708
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Is there a Shell bunk near Swati Delicacy, Shell website seems to indicate presence of one. I never saw though.
Not in the 2 weeks for sure. I passed it twice during Xmas week and once on Tuesday. But that HPCL after Empire towards Bangalore is good. Have filled up few times on return.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 21:02   #2709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Not in the 2 weeks for sure. I passed it twice during Xmas week and once on Tuesday. But that HPCL after Empire towards Bangalore is good. Have filled up few times on return.
Ok, possibly there is something coming in that place then, this route is getting busier every year so not surprised.

Screenshot from site attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-screenshot_20190117210011.png  

Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 08:29   #2710
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I checked and the location is somewhere really interior and not anywhere closer to the highway and neither on any other important SH or NH. So may be some goof up for sure.

However, we cannot rule out a new one coming up on this stretch soon. But then, the location should ideally be towards Mangalore than towards Bangalore so people fill up during their onward.

For instance, take these 2 stations : At Devahanalli, the new one that has come up is towards Hyderabad Direction and will cater to both Nandi Hills travelers and those headed to Hyderabad.

At Hubli, there is one that is coming up around 380 Kms to Bangalore and this is located towards Bangalore. It will cater to Goa return as well as Mumbai Pune return folks immensely and is located at a strategic point too.

Having said that, the station location doesnt show either the one at Hubli or at Devahanalli as yet and I am wondering how the Yediyur one already showed up and still not seen in reality .
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 09:15   #2711
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, possibly there is something coming in that place then, this route is getting busier every year so not surprised.

Looks like the shell website is incorrect. The one you are talking about is 9kms inside the highway. However in Google Maps also there is a mention of this (see screenshot).
Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-capture.jpg
Again this might have been entered by someone and voted by a few others and can't be really trusted IMO (they might have taken it from shell website only ). Also the satellite view has nothing but some farmland.

Another example where the shell website is incorrect is shown in the below screenshot
Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-capture1.jpg
the markers are somewhere near Kanakapura but the addresses are from Bangalore. There is no mention of these three on Google maps and they are actually in forest areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
the location should ideally be towards Mangalore than towards Bangalore so people fill up during their onward..
Do not know about others, but if it is towards Bangalore, close to Swathi, It would be perfect for me. While heading towards Mangalore, I fill the day before I leave. During the return, even thought the tank is not empty, I end up filling in Hassan (known fuel station). If it is near Swathi, I'll fill up there as anyway most of the times I'm forced to stop there for snacks or coffee.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 18th January 2019 at 09:27.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 09:31   #2712
Distinguished - BHPian

The V-Power does seem to give better mileage than normal fuel, (+2 kmpl) so I've filled up another tank of that, the engine becomes much more quieter as well.

Got a free Shell keychain and tissue box for the same as well (both good quality). Quite a nice change from the BP and IO outlets.

Essar also claims to give similar quality fuel (normal Shell quality, not V-Power) at lower prices, though I've not found any difference when driving with it. The V-Power quality is on another level altogether.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 10:11   #2713
Senior - BHPian

In years of Shell in India, I suddenly see them opening new pumps in the last 6 months or so.

There are atleast 3 I know of:

1. Injambakkam on Mahabs bound ECR
2. Towards Vandalur on Walajabad-Vandalur SH48, 6 km from the overhead interchange
3. 15 km ahead of Hubli Circle. This was not open yet as of now.
Old 21st January 2019, 11:35   #2714
BHPian

Finally Shell comes to Navi Mumbai, spotted and filled up the Tjet with VPower bunk is operational on thane-Belapur road opposite to Rabale station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post

Got a free Shell keychain and tissue box for the same as well (both good quality). Quite a nice change from the BP and IO outlets.

Is this across all Shell bunks as last night I did a tank up of Vpower and I did not get anything :( can you please share pics of the key chain.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st January 2019 at 12:06. Reason: back to back posts merged.
sajands is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 19:11   #2715
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
In years of Shell in India, I suddenly see them opening new pumps in the last 6 months or so.

There are atleast 3 I know of:

1. Injambakkam on Mahabs bound ECR
2. Towards Vandalur on Walajabad-Vandalur SH48, 6 km from the overhead interchange
3. 15 km ahead of Hubli Circle. This was not open yet as of now.
There is one Shell Fuel Station coming up just before Vellore, after Pallikonda.

Shell seems to be opening up more fuel stations on Highways and this is good news for me as all my cars run on Shell.

Most Viewed