Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2019, 03:18   #2746
BHPian

Re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

I used to be meh about VPower (Petrol) when my car was new but I’m a strong believer in VPower now after driving just about 25k KM of the car. I was always on the side that VPower is a placebo but I was proven wrong. I have tried the regular petrol + additives combination as alternative and it falls in somewhere between the regular and VPower.

As someone who drives a car with poor low end power, VPower makes that small difference which makes the driving easier for me. I now immediately notice the difference if non VPower petrol is filled in my car (by a family member).

Shell is also expanding inside Chennai city fast. 2 outlets within couple of KM where I work and 1 more near where I live in the last 6 months. But the only disappointment is they don’t have a single outlet on the NH 45/GST Road when going out of town to southern TN cities and towns. Fingers crossed they expand soon to the TN highways.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 3rd September 2019 at 03:20.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 10:47   #2747
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
But the only disappointment is they don’t have a single outlet on the NH 45/GST Road when going out of town to southern TN cities and towns. Fingers crossed they expand soon to the TN highways.
They do have one at chromepet on the GST, https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir//S...d12.955026!3e0
Old 3rd September 2019, 12:13   #2748
Senior - BHPian

^^ I live at Chromepet and am a regular in that pump. But there is no other Shell pump once you cross Tambaram. If we go to Trichy or beyond, we have to refill at other pumps.When I go to Trichy, I will do a refill of Speed 93 at the TVS Pump. I find that to be good.

Last edited by ajmat : 3rd September 2019 at 17:17.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:35   #2749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
They do have one at chromepet on the GST, https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir//S...d12.955026!3e0
Yes, I’m aware of one in Chromepet. But I meant outside the city on the highway. There is now a new outlet near Padappai about 5km from Vandalur on Oragadam road which is the only one south of Tambaram anywhere near the GST Road.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 3rd September 2019 at 13:37.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 06:24   #2750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashenoy View Post
A new one in the "V Power haaki saar" saga. I

Now this is extortion!

Send an email here asap! Let me know if you get a reply, else I will share the owners number with you.

https://www.shell.in/about-us/contact-us.html
Captain Slow is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 16:29   #2751
BHPian

Noticed a new shell pump on my way to hosur. It is visible from hosur main road. (Not sure if it is open yet)

Would be useful for people travelling to Kerala/Tamil nadu from Bangalore once open.

Last edited by SideView : 10th November 2019 at 16:58.
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 09:01   #2752
ike
BHPian

A new shell outlet has come up at vellore (on the left side when you drive towards Chennai from Bangalore/Krishnagiri). The set up is very basic with coffee, snacks etc. still not set up. What it does have are clean rest rooms & humongous parking area (quite a few trucks can be accommodated). The Shell select shop is not full fledged yet but they are in the process of expansion/completion.
Old 11th November 2019, 10:01   #2753
BHPian

A query to all those who use Shell V-Power only. As you all know, Shell is easily available in Bengaluru (with so many outlets), so using it when I am in city is not at all a problem. But I regularly travel to my hometown (Alleppey), and there is no Shell outlet there. So, I would have to fill regular diesel when I am in my hometown. Would this change in fuel quality have any impact on the engine or injectors? Or should I stay with regular fuel only, to keep things consistent?
Old 11th November 2019, 10:34   #2754
Senior - BHPian

It will not have any impact if you fill normal fuel from time to time. If possible fill the premium diesel from any good PSU pump in your hometown, it will be as good as Shell V power if the pump is genuine.

I always use V Power petrol, but it will not be possible when I go to Trichy from time to time. During those occassions I fill BP Power (93) petrol from the TVS pump there, and resume V Power after returning to Chennai. Absolutely no issues. That BP petrol is fully as good as V Power, and a few rupees cheaper as well.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 11:28   #2755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
A query to all those who use Shell V-Power only. As you all know, Shell is easily available in Bengaluru (with so many outlets), so using it when I am in city is not at all a problem. But I regularly travel to my hometown (Alleppey), and there is no Shell outlet there. So, I would have to fill regular diesel when I am in my hometown. Would this change in fuel quality have any impact on the engine or injectors? Or should I stay with regular fuel only, to keep things consistent?
Not a problem at all, if you are still paranoid you can stick to Reliance, they are good.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 14:08   #2756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Noticed a new shell pump on my way to hosur. It is visible from hosur main road. (Not sure if it is open yet)

Would be useful for people travelling to Kerala/Tamil nadu from Bangalore once open.
They have opened, refilled from here. There is also a select outlet.

They kept pushing the premium fuel, i gracefully rejected.

Also saw a lot of people queuing up for oil change.( not sure if they were scammed into it)

Last edited by SideView : 7th December 2019 at 14:08. Reason: Typo
Old 31st December 2019, 00:51   #2757
BHPian

Looks like a new Shell petrol pump is opening up near Teen Haath Naka, Thane on the EEH towards Mumbai (location). Noticed their logo when I was passing by today.
Old 7th January 2020, 18:28   #2758
Senior - BHPian

Maybe I missed this, but does Shell do it's own crude oil refining for these products. From what I could search it seems Shell sources the fuel from existing refineries.

So my question is do they get a better refined and blended product as compared to our PSU petrol bunks.
Old 7th January 2020, 19:28   #2759
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Maybe I missed this, but does Shell do it's own crude oil refining for these products. From what I could search it seems Shell sources the fuel from existing refineries.

So my question is do they get a better refined and blended product as compared to our PSU petrol bunks.
No, they source from existing refineries. And it’s the exact same fuel. The extra you might be paying for is a negligible chance of adulteration Downstream from the refinery to the bunk, and a better purchase experience at the retail end.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 19:36   #2760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
So as I mentioned earlier, went ahead and got a full tank of Shell V-Power Diesel 2 weeks back. After driving around for roughly 200 kms, my impressions are as follows.

Contrary to what most have reported here, I felt the performance to be downgraded a bit. I can for sure feel that my duster is a bit sluggish now. Also, it now sounds like a truck at cold start, even though that gets better after a few kms, but still the noise after warm up is more than what it was when I was using regular diesel at my regular IOC pump. Another thing I noticed is that the black smoke is a bit more than usual. I will switch back to my normal fuel from next tank full onwards.

Also, as many have mentioned in this thread, as soon as the attendent started refill, another person comes and commands me to open the hood. I asked him what for, and he says need to check the engine oil and coolant. To be frank, I was already aware of this (from this thread), and was waiting for this guy to come . Anyways, told him not to bother and leave the vehicle service part to Renault A.S.S.
Repsol is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks